Healthy Eating Post Weight Loss Surgery: 10 Favorite Protein Sources

In no particular order my favorite post weight loss surgery protein sources...

Eggs - I make several versions of these little crustless quiches I call "Bites" you can find all those recipes by clicking here. Drop a couple in a snack sized baggie for an on-the-go breakfast. I serve with a scoop of veggies or a salad for lunch or dinner and they are always the first thing to go at parties. Non-ops and whippersnappers love them.

Hard boiled eggs make a great portable protein source (save some salt & pepper packets from your next takeout order) but I prefer them turned into deviled eggs or egg salad.

Shelly's Deviled Egg Spiders
Shelly's Confetti Egg Salad
Shelly's Bacon & Egg Salad
Shelly's Pesto Deviled Eggs

Chicken - When I BBQ I almost always throw an extra breast of chicken on the grill to have on hand. I know a lot of post-ops have issues with chicken but I love it. The trick for me is to keep it moist and to dip it in a yogurt-based dipping sauce like this or this or turn it into a chicken salad. Some of my favorite chicken salads:

Shelly's Pimento Chicken Salad
Shelly's Tropical Chicken Salad
Shelly's Chutney Chicken Salad
Shelly's BLT Chicken Salad
Shelly's Italian Chicken Salad
Shelly's Dilly Chicken Salad
Shelly's Crunchy Curry Chicken Salad
Shelly's Mexican Chicken Salad
Shelly's Healthier Hot Chicken Salad Casserole

Protein Powder - I place a scoop of my favorite protein powder into snack sized baggies and place the sealed baggie inside my blender bottle. I always have one of these in the car or my airport carry-on. Then all I need is to buy a water bottle (or ask for some water on the plane) and shake, shake, shake. If I'm home I can get a little more creative. Other favorite uses:

Protein Ice Cream
Protein 5 Minute Cakes
Protein Muffins

Cheese - I am a cheese-o-holic and yes I eat full-fat cheese. Premium pouch space is reserved for only tasty things. I don't do cardboard cheese and usually that non-fat stuff is full of a bunch of bizarre chemicals with long names I can't pronounce, that can't be good. Soooo it's the real deal only for me. I just eat that full fat cheese in moderation. I love all cheese but some of my favorites are Manchego, Burrata, Provolone, Mozzarella, Ricotta and Cottage Cheese.

Greek Yogurt - (common brands: Fage, Chobani, Oikos, Voskos, Trader Joes) Be sure to look for Plain. Steer clear of flavored, most are compotes and full of sugar. Add Sugar Free Torani Syrup, Defrosted Frozen or Fresh Fruit, Sugar Free Pudding for a sweet version or use like sour cream in savory dishes. I prefer 2% but they also have 0%. Here's a ton of ways I use it.

Shrimp - Cooked Shrimp dipped in cocktail sauce is a favorite. Again I use the real deal cocktail sauce (they do have SF versions) I just don't slather and never have issues. Salsa is great too. I also love grilled shrimp and leftovers make the best Tortilla Pizza topping.

Tuna - I make lots of salads with it. They stay for several days in the fridge so I always have a quick snack or lunch that's packed with protein. Here's a few favorites:

Shelly's Tuna Caprese Salad
Shelly's Lemony Chickpea & Tuna Salad
Shelly's Tuna Salad Italiano
Shelly's Tuna Pesto Salad

I prefer Ventresca Tuna (it's premium belly tuna, packed in oil (drain it), common brands: Roland, Ortiz) it's super moist and so much more flavorful then regular tuna. Seriously it's one of those things that once you have the good stuff you are spoiled for anything less. If you hate tuna... try Ventresca Tuna. Trust me.

Beans - I love beans and since I don't do pasta, rice, bread, or white potatoes since weight loss surgery (by choice) I get my carb fix from them in a much more worthwhile and nutritious way.

Shelly's Cannelini Bean Soup
Shelly's Mexican Beef & Bean Bake
Shelly's Greek Three Bean Salad
Shelly's Italian Bean Salad
Shelly's Kidney Bean Soup
Shelly's Greek Bean Salad
Shelly's Chicken Cacciatore with Beans
Shelly's Cannellini Bean Mash
Shelly's Sausage & Bean Cassoulet
Shelly's Italian Beef & Bean Soup
Shelly's Roasted Chickpeas
Shelly's Black Bean Soup
Shelly's "Award Winning" Jazzy New Orleans Muffaletta Salad :)
Shelly's Beef & Bean Bites
Shelly's Burrito Peppers

Another Favorite are frozen Edamame Pods. I use this little gadget to steam them in the microwave and they really satisfy when you are looking to crunch something. I also get the shelled ones to have on hand to add to salads.

Cold Cut Roll-ups - Watch the sodium content. I prefer Boar's Head Low Sodium meats. The Low Sodium Roast Beef is delicious. Roll-ups are the quickest meal when you have no time. A slice of any cold cut meat wrapped around a cheesestick or pickle spear or you can get a bit more fancy if pals are coming over. I eat them cold or if you have a few minutes try these hot versions.

Shelly's Avocado and Turkey Melted Roll-up
Shelly's Ham & Cheese Melted Roll-up

Peanut Butter/Almond Butter - Yes it's high in fat but in moderation, it's a super yummy way to get some protein in. Here's one of my favorite ways to eat it.



P.S. If you are wondering what else is in my pantry. Here's a list of my pantry essentials.