Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Two Thumbs Up Salad

Went to see "The Blindside" the Sandra Bullock movie then hit the park with my super cool bento box. Two thumbs up on the movie and two thumbs up on the eats...


Blue Box (top left): Roasted Veggies (Yellow & Red Peppers & Red Onion)
Green Box (top right): Cutie Clementine
Pink Box (bottom left): Shelly's Lemony Chickpea & Tuna Salad
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Fudge & Pistachios


Shelly's Lemony Chickpea & Tuna Salad

2 cans Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans or ceci) drained & rinsed
1 can Tuna Fillets, packed in Olive Oil, drained (I use Roland Ventresca Tuna Fillets)
1/4 cup Feta Cheese, diced
2 stick celery, sliced
zest of 1/2 a Lemon
1/2 Teaspoon Kosher salt
a few twists of Black Pepper to taste

Lemon Vinaigrette: 2 Tablespoons Lemon Olive Oil to 2 Tablespoons Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar (any fruity vinegar will do). If you can't find Lemon Olive Oil (Regular Olive Oil with a few squirts of a fresh Lemon will do)

Combine all ingredients. Chill for at least two hours before serving. The dressing needs a chance to love on everything. Even better if you can make it the night before.

Can be served as is like a salad, in a lettuce, tortilla or lavash wrap, or in a half of an avocado or tomato.


I love this pattern. I collect vintage Pyrex dishes for those of you that don't know. This was my recent $4 Thrift Store find.

Shelly's Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Fudge

1 cup Chocolate Protein Powder
1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
2 Tablespoons PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla - on sale now)
1/2 cup Unsweetened Coconut
1/4 cup Chopped Peanuts, divided use

Toppings (optional): Unsweetened Toasted Coconut, Crushed Nuts, Crushed SF Hard Candies

Mix all ingredients (hold back half the peanuts) till thoroughly combined. It is a dry mixture... it will come together after some mixing. Keep mixing the ricotta thins and it comes together. It's a stiff mixture. Spread evenly into a Pyrex dish or baking pan (I used a 6x8) that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Sprinkle with optional toppings. I used the remaining 1/2 of the peanuts. Place in fridge to firm for at least 3 hours before serving. Cut into squares (I get 28 squares) Keep leftovers refrigerated. You can also freeze them (they are fab this way too) or defrost in the fridge.


Go see the movie. I took my Mum but there's enough football in it to keep the guys interested if you do a date night. The music was great too. I love that Five for Fighting song "Chances" and this band I hadn't heard of Red's song "Pieces." Good stuff. I've been listening to them all day on my Blip.FM station. Do you guys Blip? I love that thing.

9 comments:

d said...

Stop taunting me with your super-cool Bento box! lol Just teasing!!!!! Looks like lots of yummy treats!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL :)

Lisa said...

i love love love pyrex, although i never started a collection. i did a little googleing and thought you might like this site, you probably already have been there :-)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! (got a good bird recipie that doesnt dry out the breast??)

Beverly said...

That looks yummy. I have one more week before my doctor lets me try some more adventurous eating. I have been making lists of your recipes and can't decide which one I want to try first when the day comes.

What would you advise as my first solid food after surgery?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I don't use whey protein...can you recommend a soy or rice protein for you wonderful protein snacks, ice creams etc.? I currently use Nutrobiotic chocolate in my shakes. Do you think it would work in your recipes?
Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Bev,

You know eating in the beginning is trial & error. Go for moist things or things you can dip in a yogurt sauce (recipes in the blog) moisture is key! Keeps everything moving in the right direction. Good Luck!!

Anon,

Sorry I can't recommend a particular brand of soy protein not a fan but most of my recipes are just experiments that went well I'd give it a try. If you like it in shakes it should be tasty in cooking... if you don't like it in shakes then I wouldn't attempt in cooking... cooking doesn't mask icky protein.

~M

Chelsea's Mom said...

I saw the movie this past weekend. I loved it! I wasn't too phsyched about seeing it at first because I thought it was too predictable, but was pleasantly surprised! Brought a tear to my eye! So sweet!

Renee said...

The chickpea and tuna salad sounds awesome. I've recently discovered feta so I can't wait to try this. I don't know why I was afraid of feta all these years. lol!
Thanks for the recipes. You really are my hero!

RP said...

I just tried making 'Turtle' Fudge. Pretty darn tasty. Switched out syrup for caramel flavor and used pecans.

Thanks so much for all of your inspiration, Shelly.

RPGypsy