Saturday, December 1, 2007

Rainy Day

It rained today in Southern California (a big deal for us) so it was perfect weather for a big pot of soup. I'm on a black bean kick. They are a great source of protein and iron (excellent to replenish after surgery) and they are one of the world's healthiest foods. It was delicious and warm and really hit the spot. I hope you enjoy it.

Shelly's Black Bean Soup

2 15-ounce cans Black Beans, drained (I use S&W brand)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 large Onion, chopped
2 Green Onions, chopped
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cumin
3 cups Chicken Stock
1/2 cup Salsa
Salt and freshly ground Pepper
3 ounces Cotija Cheese, crumbled (or use feta)

Saute onions in butter/oil and cook until golden about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and stir to coat the onions. Let cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly so the cumin will not burn. Add the beans, stock and salsa. Bring to a boil and skim off the foam from the beans. Partially cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently, about 1/2 hour. For a thicker consistency, remove the cover and boil some of the liquid away. Whiz up with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Garnish with crumbled cotija cheese.


Bean said...

I couldn't let one of my favorite Eggface creations go unacknowledged, unnoticed, uncommented on....

This reciepe is super simple and packed full of yummy goodness...

Thanks for always sharing the love ... errr creations in the Kitchen...XOXO Amanda

Stacey said...

I am almost 5 weeks post op and have been struggling with a stricture (that was just opened up) and then yesterday just stupidly eating the wrong thing (by mistake)and paying the price. I have spent so much time on your site now and am so excited and feel empowered to be able to cook RIGHT, for me and my family!! I was feeling so overwhelmed and discouraged. Thank you for the effort and time you put into this site!! You look great and I congratulate you on your success!!

I made this soup today and YUMMY!!!! I admit it doesn't look appetizing after blenderized, but once the first taste went into my mouth I was sold!! My husband loved it too! It is just what my pouch needed---something comfort food ish, that was gentle and healthy!!

Thanks again!!!

Anonymous said...

I have visited your site several times and really like the recipes I see. I haven't had any surgery , but I am 50 lbs overweight. I see alot of healthy foods on here that have really caught my eye ! I am going to make your Black Bean Soup recipe this weekend ( probally not gonna blenderize so much) and prepare a salad to go along with it. I am excited to try the soup, I love Black Beans ! Thanks so much for taking the time to adjust recipes and your own creations for all of us wanting to eat healthier.

Anonymous said...

I will be trying this next week ....thicker liquids here I come