Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Italian Chicken Salad

Last day of the heatwave so they say. I'll believe it when I don't feel it. We have pretty crummy weather people. I mean think about it if you loved weather, if weather was your life's passion, what made you all zingy would you really choose Southern California to be a weather person where the majority of the time (like 320 days a year) the weather report is: Sunny & Hot. Nope. You'd go to tornado alley or the hurricane areas. Places where there's real weather. My theory: we get the bottom of their class weather people or ex-football stars who just majored in meteorology while they were playing for the school's team ;) they probably didn't even take their own tests. So I don't hold much stock in what they say till I feel it (or don't feel it) as the case may be.

Well if they are right I might actually turn on my oven tomorrow but tonight I was still looking for quick & cool. Using the breast from a storebought Rotisserie Chicken makes this a super quick & easy dinner.

It was soooo good...


Shelly's Italian Chicken Salad

2 Rotisserie Chicken Breasts, chopped
1 Cucumber, diced
1 stalk Celery, sliced
1/4 of a Red Onion, diced
2 Green Onions, diced
12 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil, chopped
1/2 of a 13.75 oz. can Artichoke Hearts (water packed, non-marinated type), chopped
2 Roasted Red or Yellow Peppers (water packed, non-marinated type), chopped
2 Tablespoons Pistachios

Dressing
3 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt
2 Tablespoons storebought Pesto Sauce
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Toss all ingredients together with dressing. Chill.

I served it as is but you could serve it as a wrap (low carb tortilla or lettuce leaf cup)

The cherry tomatoes (AWESOME year), cucumber (first one not the best year) & basil (doing great in it's new location) were straight out of my garden.

13 comments:

Miss Soul said...

Ever try cream cheese instead of mayo? I do that with tuna...it works well.

Diane said...

I discovered your "Bites" travel well frozen! My co-workers commented on my fancy little quiches and yummy looking salad! Delish!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I haven't tried cream cheese as a sub TY for the tip.

***

Diane, I flew to Pennsylvania with 150 frozen bites in my luggage once. So glad your peeps enjoyed them.

~Michelle

Canticles said...

This looks AMAZING!!!! Another winner, Shelly!

Jennifer Miller said...

This looks so fabulous!! I can't wait to try it :)

MK said...

Oh sweet perfection! I have chicken breast waiting to be cooked in the fridge - until the 90% humidity just calms the heck down here on the east coast! :) it's supposed to break just enough tomorrow to endure, eek, c o o k i n g.
This looks totally worth it.

SMP said...

That sounds so good! I will have to try it soon. Like tomorrow.

Crisna said...

This looks totally delish! I can't wait to try it! Keep coming with the awesome recipes!!! :O)

LollyChops said...

I just found your site via OH and I am in love (your writing style and recipes are FAB). I lost about 3 hours yesterday just poking around. Thanks so much for all you do!

Oh...and this recipe sounds amazing!!

Miss Cali Zaftig said...

Yay! Another recipe for me to try next week! ;-D

Miss Soul said...

You're welcome...let me know how it works out for you.

Tammara, Jess and Cory said...

Shelly we are going to be camping for a week at the fair and I just said about 20 mins ago to my husband I wish I had a Chicken Salad recipe. Thank you so much. Hope you are staying cooler.

Diamond Girl said...

This was amazing. I served it up for dinner two nights ago & wish I had a bigger tummy to fit more in!! Very good, thank you for the recipe Shelly!