Friday, October 23, 2009

Party Time: Confetti Bites

My "Bites" (aka crustless quiches) are one of my favorite post-op foods. They are the perfect size. Great for breakfast-on-the-go, lunch or dinner with a salad, or weight loss surgery friendly party appetizers that both non-ops and post-ops will love. My Mum said these are her favorites. They are really family friendly. Kids love them. I think because they are tiny like them :)

These are so pretty & festive looking they would be perfect on a holiday buffet.


Shelly's Confetti Bites

2 Green Onions, diced
1 (2 oz.) jar Pimentos, drained
1 Green Chili, diced (I use Ortega Whole Mild)
1/4 cup Corn Kernels, frozen defrosted
1/2 cup Colby Jack Cheese, grated
1/4 cup Storebought Bruschetta Sauce, drained, solids only (refrigerated pasta section)
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
a few twists of Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together. Spoon into lightly greased (Pam non-stick spray works great for this) mini muffin tins.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Let them cool a few moments they pull away and pop right out. Makes 24.


Other Eggface "Bites" (aka crustless quiches):

Shelly's Beef Fiesta Bites
Shelly's Italian Crab Bites
Shelly's Breakfast Bites
Shelly's Pizza Bites
Shelly's Bacon & Swiss Bites
Shelly's Stuffed Pizza Bites
Shelly's Spamtastic Bites with Tropical Dipping Sauce
Shelly's Foo Rangoon Bites
Shelly's Ham Fiesta Bites
Shelly's Philly Cheese Steak Bites
Shelly's Lovely Lox Bites
Shelly's Corned Beef Bites
Shelly's Sausage & Pepper Bites
Shelly's Denver Bites
Shelly's Beef & Bean Bites
Shelly's Bacon Cheeseburger Bites
Shelly's Turkey & Brie Bites
Shelly's Mexican Bites
Shelly's Ham It Up Bites
Shelly's Patty Melt Bites
Shelly's Broccoli Beef Bites
Shelly's Corned Beef & Cabbage Bites
Shelly's NY Bites
Shelly's Shrimp Scampi Bites
Shelly's Fajita Bites
Shelly's Greek Gyros Bites
Shelly's Loaded Egg Bites
Shelly's Cuban Bites

Shelly's Egg Foo Young Bites (vegetarian) 
Shelly's Spinach & Feta Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Artichoke Florentine Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Zucchini Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Mushroom Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Bruschetta Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Southwest Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Green Chili Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Broccoli & Swiss Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Bulls-eye Bites
Shelly's Zesty Game Day Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Confetti Bites (vegetarian)

Bites freeze great. Defrost in the fridge and heat in oven or toaster oven (preferred), or microwave. They are fine up to three days in the fridge though... if they last that long. They are great for holiday parties because tons can be made ahead and reheated when ready for serving.

35 comments:

Tammara, Jess and Cory said...

SHelly, I love these mini Quiches that are crustless. I make them every week and we take them for breakfast during the week. Thanks for sharing. Tammara

RP said...

Hi Shelly:

I hate eggs!

But I love eggface.

How eggy are these little guys? They look so intriguing.

RPGypsy

Michelle "Shelly" said...

T, Thank you. So glad you like them :)

***

RP,

LOL :) Give them a try... there's so much "stuff" in them the egg is really just a binder. I think you'll like them.

~M

Yum Yucky said...

These are so perfect! And I hate the crust anyways...unless it's on an apple pie.

MoLawEd said...

Hi Shelly - just wanted to thank you for all of your "bites" ideas. I made some for the first time last night, for hors d'oeuvres at a dinner party. I followed your basic recipe but used asparagus, mushroom, smoked gouda, and shallots with a little thyme for the filling. They were a huge hit. I am about to have a couple of the (very few) leftovers for breakfast. These bites are going to be a part of my repertoire for a long time, I think. Thank you!

feathergirl said...

Wow. Wow. Wow. These look amazing.

NewLife09 said...

I finally got around to trying the mini quiches...and i must say they are delicious. They were super easy to make, froze well and were very convenient on mornings that i didn't have time to make breakfast...even my husband liked them and he is so picky. I like that you can play around with them and add just about anything

Anonymous said...

Do you know how much protein grams are in each of the bites?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I don't put the nut info on my recipes because... nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef, etc. Plus serving size can vary what I eat as a 3+ year post-op is a very different amount than a 3 month, 6 month, or 4 year post-op. The numbers would swing like a pendulum.

What I do when I need to find the nut info is go to fitday.com type in each individual ingredient, add those totals and divide by the # of servings I get from the dish.

I understand sparkpeople and some other sites will give you nut info too but I've not used them.

Hope this helps,
~Michelle

Anonymous said...

Has anyone used Egg Beaters for these instead of Eggs? The Dieticians told us to limit our whole eggs to 2 a week?
Celeste

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Celeste, I don't use the egg beater products sorry. I prefer the real deal. Maybe make them eat what you can and freeze for another time.

Leslie said...

Just use egg whites instead of whole eggs - that's all Egg Beaters are anyway, and the cholesterol is in the yolk. I will say that eating only 2 eggs per week is old-school advice... nutritionists now know that it's fine to eat them daily.

K. Johnston said...

Hi Shelly, I love all of your recipes and I was wondering is there a spot that I am missing on your blog that I can print some of your recipes. I am 2 weeks GBS PO. Thank you!!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you K. No there isn't... create a bookmark file and save the recipes you want to recreate there... saves paper (trees) & $$ ink.

vicki said...

these are such a great idea! I AM SO GONNA MAKE THE PANCAKE BITES FOR CHRISTMAS BRUNCH THIS YEAR. The kids will love them too cause they are just their size.

Sue Laine said...

I would love to see a spinach, mushroom, and chicken version of these little guys!! Bet it would be awesome!

sherrimarina said...

These are a great way to use the veggies that come in my CSA box from the farmers market. Thanks for the idea.

rebecca said...

Can I use these as a soft food after gastric sleeve surgery. They look great and I am not much on breakfast. Thought they could help.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Rebecca, They may be the ticket. My standard line is... "when in doubt, print it out" take a copy of the recipe or show the blog link to your medical posse to get their A-OK.

Denise Z said...

Shelly, I love your blog and just want to let you know that I have taken your bites to a couple of parties and everyone loves them. Thank you for always sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi I just tried your chilli and spinach and feta bites (spent the whole morning cooking for the freezer!) and they are excellent, thank you! What are your favourite ones?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

So glad they were enjoyed... favs... hard to choose but I think Bacon Cheeseburger, Patty Melt and Pizza Bites are ones I've repeated many many times.

Liz said...

I am ten days post op from vsg and I have been looking at ur page and all of the resources daily. You are such a blessing to many! Thanks for all you do!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelley - been reading your blog for over a year but had my rny revision only in March 12. Due to complications just started to eat 3 weeks ago. Made my first recipe from your page - and it was a bite of course! Yum but I have a new oven. Baked for 27 minutes and they are a bit over done so next time will try 22-23 minutes. Just be cautious if your oven is hotter! Thanks again for all you do for all of us. Robin

Jaimie said...

When you freeze these what method do you use? Put them in a baggie and freeze or something else? Thanks.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Either I wrap them in plastic wrap (when cooled) and then place in a freezer Ziploc or if I have enough room a tupperware. I defrost in fridge and toaster oven reheat (my preferred)

Jaimie said...

I made three different types of these today and I have to say I am in love with them so far. They are yummy.

Anonymous said...

I know you said in the comments above that you do not do nutritional info on the recipes, but I was wondering about how many servings are in many of your recipes.

I am almost 11 years out of surgery and though I have gained back some weight, it is not the 147 lbs. I lost!!
I just have to get back to the way I am "suppose" to eat and it will melt away again :)

Thanks for any info & I love your site!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I do the nutritional info for myself on almost all the recipes but I do not publish it because the #'s can sway like a pendulum if you change products, fat content, etc. so I let you guys do your own math with your product labels... go to fitday or sparkpeople (links and resources tab for more info on how, its pretty easy) on portion well that depends too... 5 months different from 5 years out. With bites I generally do 2-3 with a side at my stage.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Jaime, When I freeze them I wrap them in plastic wrap in portions and toss them in ziploc baggies then I can pull them out as needed.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy them! They are a great way to empty the veggie bin or repurpose leftovers! Non-ops love them too!

Tracey Horne said...

Hi Shelly!
I love your site and all of your recipes!

Have you ever made an eggbite with cinnamon? Kinda like a mini cinnamon french toast bite without the bread? If so, i'd love your recipe!

Tracey

ItzKat said...

I can't wait to try all of these!

Debbie said...

How many of these do you eat at once? If I was packing them for breakfast or a snack how many will my pouch like? :-)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Portion size is definitely a Dr/nutritionist question and will vary based on how far out you are.