Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Fun at the Fair

It's County Fair time again. If you are a longtime reader of The World According to Eggface you know I love to enter cooking contests. Each year when the Fair comes around I enter at least one of the cooking competitions. The theme of the Fair this year is ♫ Music Mania and the contest I chose to enter was sponsored by Lindsay Olives: The Olive Lover's Salad Challenge.

The rules: Entry had to be a salad and had to contain at least 2 types of Lindsay Olives. The entries were judged on the following criteria: Creative Ingredient Combination 30%, Tantalizing Taste 30%, Ease of Preparation 25% and Visual Appeal 15%.

This was my entry...


Shelly's Jazzy New Orleans Muffaletta Salad

2 (15 oz.) cans Cannellini Beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup Lindsay Pitted Large Black Olives, drained
1/2 cup Lindsay Manzanilla Pimento Stuffed Olives, drained
1/2 cup Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, halved
1/4 of a Red Onion, diced
1/2 a Cucumber, diced
1 cup Bocconcini (Bite-size balls of Fresh Mozzarella), halved
1/4 lb. (about 6 slices) Genoa Salami, diced
1 Tablespoon storebought Pesto Sauce
3 Tablespoons storebought Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
a few twists of Black Pepper to taste

Rinse and drain beans. Set aside. Drain olives and pulse in a mini food processor till finely chopped. Pour onto beans. Dice onion, half tomatoes and mozzarella balls and add to bean & olive mixture. Dice Salami and add. Add all remaining ingredients. Mix till well combined. Best if made several hours before serving or even the night before.

Muffuletta (pronounced "moo-foo-LET-ta") is a sandwich that originated in 1906 at the Central Grocery in New Orleans, created by Salvatore Lupo, a Sicilian immigrant. A chopped olive mixture is considered the heart of the sandwich. I adapted the sandwich into this summer salad. Great for picnics because there's no mayo and it only gets better and better by the end of the day. Oh and it's weight loss surgery friendly of course.

Guess what?!

I won First Place! My Blue Ribbon...

Me in my apron looking all worn out after a day of cooking and walking around the Fair. Serving tastes of my salad...

This is the cool engraved trophy plate I won. It's a clear glass etched plate so it's hard to take a pic of...

Oh and I won $$ and this...

;) Soooo prepare for a boatload of olive dishes cause I have A LOT OF OLIVES!

42 comments:

Kathy and Judy said...

Woohoo Shelley! Congratulations!!!! And your salad looks DELICIOUS, I will definitely be making it soon. I think I have pretty much everything it calls for at home, even.

Congratulations again, and I look forward to the olive recipes!

Watty said...

WTG young lady!! You need to get that cookbook going now! :)

Looking FAAABULOUS btw :)

Anonymous said...

Congrat, Shelley! That is just awesome. You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Shelly! You are so creative!

ttlterror said...

Great job, and congrats!!!

Melting Mama said...

HOORAY!

That's two winnings now?!

Fooseberry said...

Awesome Job!!
Of course the salad looks great but so do you wearing the blue ribbon.
Have fun during Fair season.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Awww Thanks guys!

This is my second first place at the Fair competitions. I've had a few thirds, a fifth.

I've won a couple of others (Sargento, etc.) but they weren't fair related.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations! Your salad looks scrumptious and you look fantastic. I've made so many of your recipes and I've never been disappointed. Yup, you need to publish a recipe book......it would be a bestseller....you'd make millions.....and have your own TV show on the Food Network!

LAFoster said...

Congratulations Shelley! Love your recipes and your site!
Yay You!

Di said...

Wahoo!! Big congrats Shelly!
That recipe looks amazing. I'm going to make it for a family gtg next month.

chpdlivr said...

That is wonderful!! Congrats.

Veryproudmamaof3 said...

YEAH, that is so VERY COOL!! I can't wait to try it...It looks WONDERFUL!!!
I second the cookbook idea!!

Mel said...

Woot! Congrats! That looks amazing! YUM! :D

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Your salad looks delicious!

Robin said...

Congratulations, Shelly!! Can't wait to see more Olive recipes - I love me some olives! :)

Mary-Jo said...

Congratulations! Always inspirational recipes!

Gubblebum said...

Way to go Shelley!!!
You certainly do have a knack for award-winning recipes! As you know, your Chicken Florentine Casserole was a big hit at the Mrs. Essex County pageant here in Massachusetts last fall!

Lynne said...

mmmm I love me some olives! This looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Shelley!!! How awesome!!! Congrats!!! Love the recipes, keep them coming....YOU SOOOOOOO NEED TO DO A COOKBOOK!!!

Erica

Connie said...

Congratulations, Michelle!! Wahoo! I LOVE olives, so I'll be looking forward to your future olive recipes. You are so creative in the kitchen. Your WLS peeps are lucky to have your blog for inspiration.

Connie

wvsable said...

I knew you had won before I even read you had won. Salad looks good.

Sara said...

Wow, what a great serving dish - and big congrats on the win!

Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful recipes, too! I think they're great for pretty much everyone - not just WLS folks. :)

kristemitchell said...

Congrats!! How fun!!

Cara said...

Congratulations!! So nice to know we are eating the recipes of a champion!!

cschoen said...

Absolutely olive-awesome-ish!

PoetsSpirit said...

Oh! Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! You SOO deserve it!

Heidi said...

OOoohhhhhh my gosh, when I saw the recipe title I thought you had caved to the pressure and added bread. I'm humbly apologetic. :)

You're the best! CONGRATS!

Chelsea's Mom said...

You go girrrrrrrrrrl!! Congrats! And I'll have to give that new recipe a try. I brought the Italian Bean salad to a "Eat Your Veggies" day potluck here at work yesterday and it was a big hit! Thanks for sharing your great recipes with us!!

Erica Hanks said...

That's so awesome! Congratulations!! WOO HOO!

Canticles said...

Congrats!!!! I want to make this... Love love love love muffaletta...

Tammara, Jess and Cory said...

Shelly,
Way to go!! I have been on vacation and missed your blog so much.

Laurie said...

You are soo creative it makes me want to cry, really. I used your Zucchinni and Beef (Turkey) Cassarole receipe and my family loves it, as well as my neighbors. I am still on soft food so I havent tried it yet but it sure smelled great and everyone had 2 and 3 helpings. I even put pictures of it on my blog Metamorphosis

Thanks for being creative

Felice said...

Shelly,
Congratulations! You are always first place in my book! And I can't wait to try this recipe. I lived in NOLA for many years and before WLS muffalettas were one of my favs.
Bigezbooks

Becky/anewbecboo said...

Congratulations on another great year at the fair, YOU ROCK honey!!! I will definitely be trying this salad with a few variations, I LOVE olives!!!
miss you sweetie!!! bigg huggs and love, Becky

Me said...

Shelley! I made your olive salad and it was too DIE for! I love it and so did everyone I work with....I took it to work and shared it......be on the lookout for some new admirers cuz I told them all where to go to find the recipe! Keep them coming!

Amy Marie said...

I know this is an old post, but congrats again!!! I heart the del mar fair (and will always call it that, I grew up with it and will not change, lol) and I went to it pre op. it was sooo hard to try not to eat all these foods but I will totally remember the burger suggestion and of course the corn! Thanks for the post!

Cari said...

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum! I've been wanting to make this ever since you posted it a few months ago. I finally did last night. Oh so very tasty. I've made your herbalicious chicken salad for lunch today, made a batch of mini blueberry bran protein muffins and I have protein ice cream just about every night for dessert. Thank you so much for all the great ideas!

Cari

Anonymous said...

Wow contests to you!!! You are.amazing. thanks for all the time u give to the blot.

TracyB said...

Another hit recipe with the Hubby! TY, Ty, ty!!!

Holly said...

Congratulations! That looks delicious!