Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sunshine Therapy

I spent most of the day outside on a lawn chair soaking up the sun hoping to bake out these germs that have invaded my body. It was 80 degrees, sunny, bright blue skies, a really beautiful day or at least what I remember of it from my Benadryl haze. What is in Benadryl OMG?! Those pills are intense. 2 of those suckers and you could drag me across state-lines by my hair and I wouldn't know. They should call them over-the-counter roofies.

Before I went outside for my sunshine therapy I packed lunch (leftover tuna salad) & snacks in my super cool bento box. Here's what was on the menu...


Blue Box (top left): Andes Sugar Free Mint (begone tuna breath) and (in green silicone cup) Roasted Chickpeas
Green Box (top right): Shelly's Toasty Oat Protein Balls
Pink Box (bottom left): Shelly's Pesto Tuna Salad
Orange Box (bottom right): Green Grapes


Shelly's Toasty Oat Protein Balls

1 cup Oatmeal (I used Coach's Oats)
1/2 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
1/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1/4 cup Sugar Free Torani Vanilla Syrup (on sale now)
1/4 cup Chocolate Protein Powder

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the oats and coconut on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and toast for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.

Mix peanut butter and SF syrup slowly till well combined. Add the toasted oats and coconut to the peanut butter along with the chocolate protein powder stir till well combined. If mixture is loose add a little more coconut, too stiff add a bit more syrup. Shape into 18-20 cocktail meatball size balls.

Refrigerate for a few hours before serving. Great in the fridge for several days. If you like chewy oatmeal cookies you will love these.

Well I enjoyed the time spent outside but I woke up this morning still feeling (and looking) like I've been hit by a Mack truck. OK well maybe not a Mack truck... but at least a compact-size SUV.

13 comments:

Kathy and Judy said...

Yum!! Those oatmeal balls sound wonderful! I have been making DIY protein bars much the same way (not with coconut though) and they work pretty well for me. But I like the meatball idea! Or even in oatmeal-cookie kind of shape. Hmmm.

Judy

Marie said...

Thanks Shelly, going to make these Sat, mm sound good.

Morgan said...

I am going to have to make some of those oatmeal balls! They look rather tasty!

Fat2Fit said...

Your comment about the Benadryl seriously made me Laugh Out Loud! I was just telling my husband the other day how 2 of those suckers completely knock me out. I took a couple before bed and slept a whopping 12 hours. This continued for 3 nights. Oops!
Did you know that 2 Benadryl are equivalent to 1 Unisom (sleeping pill), also known as diphenhydramine? That's some crazy stuff!

Kelsie said...

Do you really eat all the food you pack in your cool little box? It always looks like so much.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks guys. Hope you enjoy them.

***

Kelsie, Sometimes. Sometimes they are packed for 2 people, sometimes they are 2 meals. This particular bento was lunch and 2 snacks. Portion sizes should be something you & your Dr &/or Nutritionist set up for you... also remember what a 3 1/2+ post op eats will be different then someone a few months out. Always go with what your medical posse recommends for you.

~M

Shelley said...

My 5yr old made this with me today! We LOVE it! Thanks for the recipe! Im going to link you on my blog and share it if you dont mind!

Anonymous said...

What kind of peanut butter do you use? Regular PB seems so high in fat and sugar! When I use my favorite brand of natural PB (contains only peanuts, salt)my creations are not sweet enough for me. Should I add sugar substitute? How much?
Thanks!
Dana

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Dana, I use the real deal regular peanut butter. Rarely do I use over a 1/4 cup for a whole recipe so spread out over 20 balls... it's less a teaspoon a ball.

In shakes I use PB2 powder peanut butter a lot (80% less fat) but in a recipe like this I use the real thing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! Your recipes are awesome!!! Going to make some tomorrow!!!
Dana

Kristie said...

oh my goodness, i LOVE the oatmeal balls!! Thanks so much for posting them.

Jan Richman said...

I can't believe how good these are! perfect for a high protein snack (or breakfast). you rock.

BA A said...

I just made these with Trader Joe's salted peanut butter with flax & chia seeds. Delicious!! Thank you for sharing your recipes - I always enjoy them!