Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A day in my pouch

I'm sick. I have the creeping crud. Achy, chills, gnarly headache, sore throat. This is my first cold/flu/whatever it is since having weight loss surgery 3 1/2+ years ago. Yesterday I spent most of the day bundled up under a heap of blankets with my HP Mini and the TV remote drinking hot tea and I'm thinking that is pretty much the plan for today too. Well... I might set myself up on a patio lawn chair. The weather has been great 80's, sunny blue skies but I hear that maybe changing soon so I think I'll take advantage while I can and plop myself down in the sunshine. Hopefully bake this crud out of my body.

What I ate yesterday...

Breakfast: I'm on a strawberry kick. Strawberry = Vitamin C good for colds.


Shelly's Triple Strawberry Protein Smoothie

8 oz. Vanilla Soy Milk
1 scoop Strawberry Max Protein
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Strawberry Torani Syrup
3-4 Frozen Strawberries (or Ice)

Whiz in blender till smooth. Top with Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream, optional.


Lunch: No cooking just chop, mix and eat.

Shelly's Tuna Pesto Salad

1 cup Grape Tomatoes, halved
1 Cucumber, diced
1/4 of a Red Onion, diced fine
1 cup Frozen Peas, defrosted
1 can Tuna Fillets, packed in Olive Oil, drained (I use Roland Ventresca Tuna Fillets)
2-3 Tablespoons Storebought Pesto
1 Tablespoon Vinegar (any fruity one will do cider, champagne)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Mix together all ingredients and let marinate at least 1 hour before serving.



Dinner: Another easy one. A few minutes assembly toss on grill, close lid, walk away. Back in 15 minutes to a perfectly cooked dinner with virtually NO CLEAN-UP :) ate it with steamed green beans (not pictured)

Shelly's Pesto Halibut Packet

1 fillet of Halibut (any firmer white fish will do: Cod, Halibut, Tilapia, Orange Roughy)
1 Green Onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon Storebought Pesto Sauce
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
a slice of Lemon
Aluminum foil

Ingredients listed are for one packet multiply it for how many packets you are making. Place all ingredients in center of a piece of heavy duty foil (if you are using the $1 store stuff double it) Fold the foil over and seal each packet.

BBQ 15 minutes in covered grill. Open packets carefully steam burns are not fun.

Snacks: Cutie Mandarin Orange (more Vitamin C) and tons of soothing Herbal Tea, a few cups of Coffee in there too I tried but couldn't go all day without it.

12 comments:

Tara from MI said...

Dearest Michelle,
Feel better soon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWsDRzMGWc

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldspice?feature=pyv&ad=3379911317&kw=old%20spice&gclid=COiL1a7r-Z8CFQ7yDAoduzwzbQ#p/u/1/owGykVbfgUE

Just to cheer you up
Tara

Linda said...

Shelly,
I hope the sunshine and vitamin C gets you back to feeling well before ya know it. Try and have a wonderful day. Here's ta good health !!!

Just Linda :)

patty said...

Sorry to hear you feel like crap. Hope you are better soon! At least you have the sun..... it has snowed an been under 32 degrees here in Ohio for the past 2 wks and it looks like another round of snow this weekend!

Pauline said...

Love fish! Needed something different!
Enter me please!
paulinecronk@sbcglobal.net
Thanks!

T2Nashville said...

Shelley - I hope you feel better soon! I have lots of friends struggling with cold and flu right now, too.

If I don't have a grill, can I do this halibut packet in the oven? Temp, time? Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you guys :) Lots of tea today.

***

T2- BBQ's are pretty hot so I'd do at least 400 for 15 maybe 425 you'd have to test drive it.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon.
Also, nice to hear someone has good wheather. Here in Omaha, well, we have sun, it's just that it's about 25. Low was around 0 this AM.
I have been really enjoying your recipies, I make about 2-3 salads a week. my favs are the chicken curry and the pea ham. I also make many of your casseroles. Love the mushroom/crab/horseradish one. Just hits the spot.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you are sick! Take care of yourself and hope you feel better soon.

Connie said...

Michelle,
Hope you feel better soon!

Aelyese said...

Gosh, nothin' like being under the weather when it is beautiful outside. I hope you are feeling better very soon! I hope you get out into that sun and make some good Vitamin D for all of us who don't get enough...LOL
Hey, wanted to tell you inspired me to get the ice cream maker (got it on Ebay for $17.50 Yeah). Tonight I saw I had some Chocolate Peppermint Soy from Christmas still in the pantry so I mixed that with 1 Tbls SF Chocolate Torani, 1 Tbls SF Vanilla Torani and 2 scoops of Max chocolate. Here is the cool part...I was out of any kind of SF cookies or anything so I crushed up the 1/2 a chocolate mint Zone Bar my son didn't finish for breakfast and added that to the nearly finished ice cream....OMW, it added a little crunch, some minty goodness and some more protein! My twin 6 year old boys thought it was store bought. I just put it on a cone for them and they were in heaven. We have problems keeping weight on our 3 boys so I often add a little of "mommy's love" ie, Max Protein to their milk or smoothies. Your recipes have not only helped me save my life, but they are helping my boys to get more healthy. Each as put on 3 lbs in the past 2 months! A victory for me on both ends! Please don't ever stop sharing with us! You are inspiring and so helpful to all of us, whether we have had WLS or not. (Now if I could just get the hubby to get healthy...oh to be in denial again...I will never go back to that again! LOL)
Get well

Aelyese

Danielle B. said...

Hi Shelly,

I have been reading your blog religiously since right before my surgery 6.5 months ago. I look forward to all your blogs, especially the "day in my pouch" entries. But, I realized today, after reading the "day in my pouch"...that I eat too much and I. AM. HUNGRY. Hungrier than I thought I'd be at this point in my journey. I also crave and eat too many carbs. Starting tomorrow, I am following your advice about meal planning and not eating anything not on my plan for the day. I am also taking your advice that if I eat a carby meal (I only eat low carb tortillas and pitas normally), to limit other carbs the rest of the day.

But...I am wondering, since your journey and results and total mind-set change have been so impressive, were you ever hit with this "hungrier than I thought I'd be" feeling? How did you deal with it? Sometimes I'm REALLY worried that I'm going to stretch out my pouch (I don't eat THAT much in one sitting, but I snack too much, I've noticed.).

Also, what did you do in your first year by way of exercise? My routine has been spotty at best, and I'd love to know what you did (if it was "nothing", then please be honest! I won't hold it against you!).

I know you're super busy and don't necessarily have time to respond to "comments" like this, but I didn't know any other way to email you with questions like these.

Thank you so much for the inspiration and support you provide through your blog. You have no idea how you've been a shining light for me (and obviously lots others!)through these first 6 months!

Thank you thank you thank you!
Danielle

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you for the get well wishes!!

(((Connie)))

Aelyese, You will have a blast coming up with new flavors. Mmm the zone bar sounds great in it!!

Thanks Danielle, I'm glad you found the blog and are enjoying it. I started do more of those day in my pouch entries by request so I'm glad you like them.

Oh I definitely have hungry days... bottomless pouch days I call them but I try to stick to the plan I have for the day. It really does help! If I add something its generally a protein shake or something that will full me without too much damade. I also thankfully have I could care less about food days so I think it even things out. LOL.

Exercise... I walk everyday, hike once or twice a month, and some random things like kickbox and beat up my body opponent bag, videos, etc when I'm in the mood.

Today's blog entry (the giveaway round three post) has a link I think you will enjoy.

All my best to you!!! We're in this together!
~Michelle "Shelly"