Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bruschetta Bites with a surprise

A blog reader asked me to make a "bites" version with a "surprise in the middle" so per her request this is what I came up with. These are soooo good. They reminded me of those "stuffed crust" pizzas.

I served the bites with a variation on my Italian Bean Salad. I was out of tomatoes so I added sliced Sicilian and Kalamata olives instead.


Shelly's Bruschetta Bites

5 Green Onions, diced
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
2 cloves of Garlic, diced
1 teaspoon Butter
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 cup Bruschetta Sauce, drained of excess liquid (I used Trader Joe's but Contadina & Buitoni make one too - find in the fresh pasta section)
5 Eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
1 Tablespoon fresh Basil, chopped
Small fresh Mozzarella balls (nickle size)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Saute onions in butter till golden. Add garlic cook 1 minute more. Set aside to cool.

Mix all ingredients together. Be sure veggie mixture has cooled slightly before adding to egg mixture. Spoon (I use a small ice cream scoop) into a lightly greased mini muffin tin.

I made half the batch with a surprise middle by inserting 1 small fresh mozzarella ball in the middle. Bake for 30 minutes. Makes 24.




Other Eggface "Bites" (think crustless quiches):

Shelly's Beef Fiesta Bites
Shelly's Italian Crab Bites
Shelly's Breakfast Bites
Shelly's Pizza Bites
Shelly's Bacon & Swiss Bites

Shelly's Spinach & Feta Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Artichoke Florentine Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Zucchini Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Mushroom Bites (vegetarian)

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

OMG, my 10yo daughter will go nuts! She loves the crustless quiche I make, and she is a bruschetta NUT! (There was a jar of bruschetta topping in her Easter basket.) Plus, we found even tinier mozzarella balls (I swear, they were barely bigger than peas!) and we look for any excuse to buy them.

chpdlivr said...

Hi Michelle,
I just made the mushroom bites. TJ's has a container of 3 "exotic" mushroom types. I used some of each, along with fresh tomatoes that I seeded and chopped. Swiss and parm make a great combo.
Love your recipes!!

Cindy said...

Wow! We tried these last night and they are yummy! My 18yod grabbed a few on her way out the door. She called me about 10 minutes later raving how good they were ... she asked what we needed for her to make more! ;-) Now that's when you know you have a hit on your hands. When the "busy with my own life" 18yo will stop long enough to make them!

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you guys enjoyed them! They are one of my post-op favorites. I think you probably can tell by the 150 different versions ;) Thanks for letting me know!!!

Stephanie: I can't wait to hear what she thinks of them!

chpdlivr: Thank you. I'm adding those shrooms to my Trader Joe's list for next time. They sound yummy! Always something cool at that store.

cindy: Your comment made my night. What better seal of approval!

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

I have looked at 3 grocery stores (basically, every one in my area) and cannot find bruschetta sauce. What can I substitute for this?

-Jenny

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Jenny,

Check the fresh pasta section, refrigerated section, usually near cheese (buitoni, contadina make one) or sub chopped tomatoes, drained with some fresh Basil chopped in it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Shelly!

I'll try the tomatoes and fresh basil. I did check near the fresh pasta section. I actually talked to management in each store and we checked everywhere. They said they used to carry it in one store but no longer do.

I live in a rural area in Hawaii so sometimes things that are common on the mainland aren't found here.

My kids and I love fresh mozzarella so we are excited about trying this recipe. This week is my introduction to cooking. I do not cook but since I am having surgery soon I have realized I need to learn to cook some healthy, post-op appropriate meals.

We are calling this "Bites Week" and are trying a different "Shelly's Bites" each day plus your mini shrimp & crab cakes. Wish me luck!

Mahalo for your support and your site!

-Jenny :-))