Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Glee Day!

Yay! Tonight's the season premiere of Glee. I love the show. It reminds me of my youth. I was a total theater geek. I actually even majored in Theater in college at first but I thought better of it and changed majors. What would I do with a Theater degree?! I ended up with a double major in Political Science and Child & Family Studies. Oh yeah THOSE will bring in the money *insert sarcastic tone*

Back to Glee. I love that they break into song randomly and if you know me in the real world you know I often do too. Seriously I do, in supermarkets, street corners, I do a mean parking lot rendition of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina." In case you are wondering I had a psych evaluation before surgery and they did clear me ;) I think it's just residual from the road not taken.

I made theme food for tonight. My mini muffin tins got a work out. For dinner I made a batch of Bites, my go-to weight loss surgery friendly party snacks. I love them. They heat up great too. So tomorrow will be an easy lunch with a homegrown tomato salad.

Shelly's Ham It Up Bites

1 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
1/4 lb (about 4 slices) Ham, chopped
1/4 cup Colby Jack Cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons Parmesan, grated
5 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon ground Marjoram (don't omit or sub trust me)
a few twists of Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Saute onions till golden. Add ham and saute a minute or so more. Set aside to cool.

Mix all ingredients together. Spoon into lightly greased (Pam non-stick spray works great for this) mini muffin tins.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Let them cool a few moments they pull away and pop right out. Makes 24.

Other Eggface "Bites" (aka crustless quiches)

Of course no party is complete without something sweet. For dessert I took a some chocolate batter and some vanilla batter and made a protein mini muffin mash-up. On Glee they often take two songs and blend them together to form a "mash-up"

Shelly's Chocolate & Vanilla Protein Mini Muffin Mash-up

For the Chocolate Batter:
1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa (Hershey's is what I used, baking aisle)
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
Pinch salt

For the Vanilla Batter:
1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Coconut
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
Pinch salt

Mix each batch separately. Mix egg, milk, syrup and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, cocoa/coconut, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined. Pour a little of each batter into a non stick mini muffin pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes until knife comes out clean.

Yum! Can't wait for 8 PM.

post signature

12 comments:

Paige said...

ooooo I love Glee too!! love love love. Thank you for sharing your glee themed recipes! So fun!!

Enjoy!!

colleen said...

I wish I'd of had some of these while I was watching Glee last night!

Valerie said...

Oh these recipes look really good. I wish I had some of those ham bites right now!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelley, Can you help? I made these great looking muffins and mine fell flat. They puffed up nicely and then "poof" out came the air. I made mine with banana instead of vanilla and the flavor is great but they are shriveled.
Thanks, Lisa

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Lisa,

Just some guesses...

Be sure to use pancake mix (not flour) which contains a leavening agent. I prefer the multigrain one (link in blog) if you are using something else I'd add a little baking powder.

If you are using my pancake mix... 2nd guess would be to check the date.

Hope that helps.

Kathy said...

Shelly, how many bites can you eat for a meal, along with your tomato salad? I made these bites last night (YUMMO!), and they're quite tiny, so I was able to eat two. (I'm 7 weeks out from sleeve surgery.)

Gubblebum said...

Love it!!! I was a Vocal Performance Major, Theatre Minor, and now I'm an office manager of a construction company...go figure! I like to live vicariously through Glee!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Kathy,

With a scoop of something like a bean or tomato salad I'll eat 2 or 3. You know these were lighter... the Cheeseburger or Philly Cheesesteak ones a lot denser so less.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

:) Wish you all lived closer... we could have gleeked out together.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly! I love Glee too very very much. The town it is supposedly set in Lima, OH is where I grew up and trust me, they make the city much more sunny than what it really is! :-)

I have waited all summer long for this show.

Love all your recipes and just got my mini donut pan from Amazon...may be making some this weekend!

Thanks for all your great recipes and keep Gleeking!

Ann

Erin said...

Shelly-- have you ever done anything with spaghetti squash? I'd love to see what you'd come up with!

Lisa said...

Just made these tonight to get me through my breakfast slump (cottage cheese wasn't just cutting it anymore!). Thanks, as always for your recipes. I have no idea what I would do without your blog!