Saturday, March 8, 2008

Spinach and Feta "Bites"


Shelly's Spinach & Feta Bites

1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
2 Green Onions, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 cup cooked Spinach, squeeze water out
1 teaspoon Butter
1 Teaspoon Oregano
a few twists of Black Pepper
5 Eggs, beaten
1/3 cup Tomato, diced (I used S&W canned, drained)
1/2 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup Shredded Cheese, Italian Blend

Preheat oven to 350 F. Saute onions in butter till golden. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Add cooked spinach and saute till dry and separated about 1 minute. Set aside to cool. Mix all ingredients together. Be sure veggie mixture has cooled slightly before adding to egg mixture. Spoon (I use a small ice cream scoop) into a lightly greased mini muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until centers are firm. Makes 24.


Haven't tried my "bites" yet? Think crustless quiches but way better. Yep, they freeze well. I reheat in the oven or toaster oven. Serve as a weight loss surgery friendly appetizer, light meal with a salad, or breakfast.

Other Eggface "Bites":

Shelly's Beef Fiesta Bites
Shelly's Italian Crab Bites
Shelly's Artichoke Florentine Bites
Shelly's Breakfast Bites
Shelly's Pizza Bites

14 comments:

Melting Mama said...

Oh, yummy. I love spinach and feta.

Anonymous said...

Hi... I'm not a fan of feta cheese. Have you tried this recipe with any other kinds?
Thanks!
Marie

Michelle said...

Hope you like them Beth... I think the munchkins might dig the pizza ones :)

***

Hi Marie, When you cook Feta is makes it much milder so if you just don't like the saltiness of Feta you might still try it cooked I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Or... just use all Shredded Italian Blend (so instead of 1/2 cup use 1 cup) and omit the Feta.

~Michelle

Nicole said...

I made these last night and they are so good. i could eat them all day! i'm going to make more this week when i get a chance. they are perfect for breakfast during the week. Thanks again!

Michelle said...

Nicole,

So glad you enjoyed them. I love these. Great for vegetarian friends when they come over.

~Michelle

Anonymous said...

I know this is a older recipe but I made these tonight for a get together and everyone LOVED them! I was so glad to be able to make something that was good for my WLS but also good for everyone else. I am going to make a batch of these to freeze and have on hand.

Shannon

Anonymous said...

These bites seem to be just the thing I am looking for but you don't mention the portion size. Is it more than one as is pictured or how many?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you enjoy them!!!

I don't give portion sizes on my recipes because post-op it will depend on your Dr/nutritionist's plan for you & how far out you are... 2 month post op versus 3 year post op very diffferent portions ;)

~Michelle

Carol said...

Hi Michelle!

LOVE your recipes! One question; have you done the drudgery by chance, of figuring out the carb count, etc. of your delicious bites? I can do it if not but hoped it might be posted already somewhere. Thanks Darlin! Carol

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks Carol. Hope you enjoy them.
What I do when I need to find the nut info is go to a site like fitday.com type in each individual ingredient (your ingredients, fat content all that will change nut values) add up those totals and divide by the # of servings I get from the dish. It's not exact but it's close.

Anonymous said...

found your blog by chance and just made a batch of these...delicious! thanks!!

Jenny said...

I have a party in the morning and I am making your spinach and feta bites minus the tomato (the person that really wanted these hates tomato) and your broccoli Swiss bites

SilverBelle69 said...

Are the Spinach and Feta Bites appropriate for the soft mushy food stage of a pre-op?

Thanks
Tracy

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Tracy, When in doubt print out the recipe and share with your medical posse for their thumbs up. They are softer but eggs are hard for some early on and be sure you can have veggies, etc.