Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Pizza Bites

Here's yet another version of my "bites." This one tastes just like pizza and the house smells heavenly while they are cooking. If you haven't tried my other bite incarnations: think crustless quiche only way better. Everytime I experiment with these "bites" I think I've found my favorite. This one rocks!

The cute mini size makes it a great weight loss surgery friendly appetizer. They also heat up really well in the toaster oven (or regular oven) so you can make a batch and get several meals out of it.


Shelly's Pizza Bites

1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
6 Mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Butter
25 thin slices Pepperoni, diced (I used Boar's Head)
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped
1 Teaspoon Oregano
a few twists of Black Pepper
5 Eggs, beaten
1/3 cup Tomato, diced (I used S&W canned, drained)
1 cup Shredded Cheese, Italian Blend

Preheat oven to 350 F. Saute onions in butter till golden. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute 1 minute more. Set aside to cool.

Mix all ingredients together. Be sure veggie mixture has cooled slightly before adding to egg mixture. Spoon (I use a small ice cream scoop) into a lightly greased mini muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until centers are firm. Makes 24. Serving suggestion: Serve with a green salad or a scoop of Shelly's Italian Bean Salad for a great light Italian themed meal.


Other Eggface "Bites":
Shelly's Beef Fiesta Bites
Shelly's Italian Crab Bites
Shelly's Artichoke Florentine Bites
Shelly's Breakfast Bites

24 comments:

AnnoyingLizard said...

Gonna have to try these bites out! Hope you're doing well girlie!

jeri said...

These look yummy-looking at your other egg bite recipes and want to make breakfast bites for during the work week.
Jeri

cadler18 said...

These pizza bites are the BEST! They taste just like my most favorite food in life...Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer S said...

They are indeed VERY good. I substituted black olives for the tomatoes. I'm eating them now, actually!

Deborah said...

These are FABULOUS! I'm making them for the second time...my grandkiddies love them. Thanks Michelle, I visit your blog often. :)

Anonymous said...

I made these bites for the first time this wekend, and all I have to say is YUM!!! Thanks eggface.

note: my word verification is nukepo LOL! Just thougt that was funny.

Anonymous said...

Do you know the calories and proteins of these? Thanks.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

You can figure out nutrition information to any recipe (mine or others) by going to a site like fitday.com typing in each individual ingredient, add those totals and divide by the # of servings you get from the dish.

Nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef or turkey you use, etc. The nutrition numbers would swing like a pendulum. I leave that up to you.

~M

Sara Sosa said...

Hi Michelle!
Great recipe...unfortunately my husband was reading me the recipe and forgot to tell me to add cheese!! LOL but hopefully they will still be great. Just had a question...do you use medium or large eggs?

Thanks! Sara

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Sara, LOL Cheeseless Pizza ;) Hope they are still yummy.

I use Large Eggs.

~Michelle

Sara Sosa said...

I know!! :) They were still delicious, I just ate two! I'm going to make them later this week since I have all the ingredients and will include cheese!!! Thanks!

salathia said...

so, i tried them (sans mushrooms ...) and MAN ... they were so good. especially when i dipped them in marinara - WOOOO! good stuff, girl!

Anonymous said...

Can these be frozen

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yes, defrost in fridge and reheat in toaster oven or regular oven.

luv_dogZ said...

I finally got up the courage to make one of your recipes. Made this using sweet italian sausage and green onions. They taste sooo good. You have great recipes. =)

Motivated Mommy said...

going to try making some of these, I have this weird aversion to eggs lately, do they taste very eggy?..lol

Michelle "Shelly" said...

No they really don't taste eggy they taste like pizza. The other flavors are strong and take over... some of the bites are more eggy because the ingredients are more subtle but I think you will enjoy these! Hope you do :)

Anonymous said...

I agree they really dont taste like egg at all and my house did smell like pizza. Yum!!! I dont have a mini muffin tin so I used a 12 muffin tin and it worked fine. Thanks for the great recipe, I am trying some of the others too.

Help! I'm the new nurse!! said...

Love these!! Thank you so much! I've been SO BORED with what I've been eating. I'm thrilled to have found your site and eager to make more of your recipes.

Anonymous said...

I made thes today for lunch..i left them in the oven for 3o mins but they were mushy inside so i left them in for another 10 mins and still a lil bit mushy...any hints? thanks

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Not really... other than maybe check your oven temp with a thermometer to see if something is going on. 30 minutes at 350 is done... any more in my oven would be burnt.

They should be golden in color :)

grinin said...

These are great! I changed it around a bit (I can't stick to a recipe) subtracted mushrooms, added bruschetta and ham. Yummo!!!

Ariana M M said...

Can you make these into the regular cupcake pan? would cooking time change? You have amazing recipes thank you so much for sharing!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks Ariana, I like the portion size and the edges so I have not personally but I don't see why you couldn't I do think the cooking time would change slightly. I'd stick to the same temp/time and start watching from then on... I can't imagine it would be longer than 3-4 minutes or so more. Let me know how it goes.