Monday, March 30, 2009

Sausage & Pepper Bites

These taste just like the grilled Italian sweet sausage and peppers cooking at the street fairs and Italian festivals in the summertime.

One of my best memories of my Dad was of him taking me each summer to the Italian Festa on Long Island where I grew up. My Mum worked nights so it was just my Dad and I. I'd ride my favorite chair-o-plane a few times then we'd sit on a bench and eat sausage & peppers. There may have been some sfingi involved too (Italian fried dough covered in powdered sugar) but we won't talk about those.

Oh and always ride the chair-o-plane before the sausage & peppers.

Yeah learned that life lesson the hard way.

Shelly's Sausage & Pepper Bites

1 Yellow Onion, diced
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, diced
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1/2 lb. Mild Italian Sausage (about 2 links with casings removed)
1/2 cup Italian Blend Cheese, shredded
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Saute onions and peppers till golden.

Add sausage and saute till no pink is seen. Breaking it up into bite size pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Set aside to cool. When cool mix all ingredients together.

Spoon into lightly greased (Pam works great) mini muffin tins. Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Makes 24.

Other Eggface "Bites" (crustless quiches):

Shelly's Beef Fiesta Bites
Shelly's Italian Crab Bites
Shelly's Breakfast Bites
Shelly's Pizza Bites
Shelly's Bacon & Swiss Bites
Shelly's Stuffed Pizza Bites
Shelly's Spamtastic Bites with Tropical Dipping Sauce
Shelly's Foo Rangoon Bites
Shelly's Ham Fiesta Bites
Shelly's Philly Cheese Steak Bites
Shelly's Lovely Lox Bites
Shelly's Corned Beef Bites
Shelly's Sausage & Pepper Bites
Shelly's Denver Bites
Shelly's Beef & Bean Bites

Shelly's Spinach & Feta Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Artichoke Florentine Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Zucchini Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Mushroom Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Bruschetta Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Southwest Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Green Chili Bites (vegetarian)
Shelly's Broccoli & Swiss Bites (vegetarian)


Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle!

Love your blog, and I loved meeting you at the Philly OH event!

I was wondering, since you enjoy experimenting in the kitchen, if you have a recipe (or an idea for one) for sugar free easter eggs...preferably peanut butter or coconut cream.

Do you think I could take a regular one and just substitute Splenda, and use sugar-free chocolate to cover it? I'm not a cook/chef/baker, so it's got to be fairly easy. Any ideas??

Thanks for all you're such an inspiration and a great motivator!

Take care,

Heather said...

In the beginning of your experiments did the sides turn out dark on the bites? I've tried both the mini silicon and baking cup pans. To me and the family the crispy dark cheese is great, but for presentation at a party or pot luck I'm not so crazy about them. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I have a fan club that love these bites and they swear they will eat the mistakes. Thank you for sharing all these yummy recipes..

Kathy W. said...

My hubby's family would LOVE those. Me? Not too crazy about Italian sausage and I can't eat onions. (Don't hate me for that allergy.) I might be going to a breakfast and I have to take something. First thing I thought of was some bites. LOVE THEM!!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Leslie,

TY for your lovely compliment. I've got a little project I'm going to try this week will let you know how it turns out ;)



Heather, Try droping the temp by 10 degrees or so... I have a fairly new oven but my old over was almost 25 degree off what it said it was.


Hope they love 'em Kathy :)

Molly said...

Oh goodie more bites! Thank you, Kitchen Goddess. (see me bowing here?) Over the weekend I made a batch of ham/asparagus/swiss bites. They were scrumptious! Great way to use up leftovers and turn them into something new.

LAB said...

I'm Italy and from Long Island but when I was a kind I went to a Catholic school in Brooklyn. We had the feasts, they were the greatest and that is always what I remember - the sausage, peppers & onions and the zeppoles. I live in GA now and no one knows what those are but I do make sausage, peppers & onions often.

DreTheDog said...

I made these tonight. They were REALLY tastey. Everyone that ate them couldn't say enough at how good they were. I used low-fat sausage and made a little to much so i popped in 2 more eggs and some more cheese. Added some sharp cheddar cause nothing beats some crispy cheddar. Only additional thing I'd probably do next time is a bit of parmesean and garlic.

After cooking the Onions, Peppers and Sausage I almost wanted to just plate some of that up.

Thanks for the great recipe!

sharon said...

Hey Michelle

I tried the beef fiesta bites and I love em so did DH. I want to make the Stuffed Pizza Bites but I can't find the Bruschetta Sauce. We live in the country actally we live in the sticks LOL and we don't have Trader Joes down the street. Could you tell me what I could use in place of Bruschetta?


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Sharon, So glad you and your DH enjoyed them. I love those little suckers. Ummm Buitoni or Contadina make a Bruschetta Sauce (find near fresh pasta) or I'd find a can of chopped tomatoes with garlic and Italian seasonings (S&W makes one) and drain it well.

Hope you love 'em

wickettlw said...

these look yummie-how many can you have for each serving

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks. Serving size should be determined by your Dr's plan for you at whatever stage you are at. I am almost 3 years out so I can eat 3-4 on my plan and usually serve them with a scoop of bean salad or green salad.

Hope you enjoy 'em,

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle...
FANTASTIC!!! You've achieved what I've been wondering about... How would quiche go without the crust? What a perfect solution making them bite size! Can't wait to make some next week.I was just wondering if you have tried freezing them?
Thanks so much,

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you J :) They freeze great.

Pahonix said...

Hey Shelly,

I've made a few varieties of these bites, and as everyone else has said, they're great. I was wondering, however, do you do anything special to help get these things out of the pan? I seem to have a problem with them sticking to the pan, even though I spray it with Pam beforehand.


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Todd,

Glad you like 'em. No trick really... Pam or Olive oil Pam is my favorite. Non-stick muffin tin. I use a Wilton brand one. Leave them a minute or so after removing them from the oven they shrink back a bit. Hope that helps!


Theresa said...

Ok Shelly these came out much better than my donuts. I love them but next time I will watch them closer they came out a little dark. Never the less just the answer I needed to my breakfast crisis. I ordered all the right ingredients for the donuts yesterday, so I can't wait to give me them a second shot. Thanks for everything.


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Theresa, You know I'm thinking your oven is running hot... that would explain your issue with the donuts too. I had my oven calibrated years ago and it was off almost 25 degrees. I'd either get a thermometer or just adjust down slightly as a test.

Catracks said...

I'm going backwards reading your blogs and getting the recipes I like (most of them). You mentioned eating fried dough with your father. My Nana used to make these things she called "festete fritti." The spelling is probably off. Maybe this was sold during festivals. Basically it was fried pizza dough, only I like it salted. I may be able to get along without pasta, but the bread I will miss. Did your family make the Easter bread with the colored eggs braided in?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yes!! Pastelli Di Pasqua. Almost forgot about those. My Grandmother made me one every year. Thank you for the memory jog :)

Larry said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us Miss Shelly. Ive tried a number of your recipes before and during my own "journey to a healthy me". Some of your ideas have become regulars in the rotation like these sausage & pepper bites. I shared this recipe with my WLS support group last night making sure I included credit to you and the address to your rockin' blog.
120# down since November 7,2011 and your recipes have helped to make mealtimes enjoyable experiences.