Friday, February 1, 2008

Got Crabs?

Messing in the kitchen this afternoon I came up with what I'm calling Shelly's Italian Crab Bites. They are a play on my Beef Fiesta Bites so those of you who have enjoyed those be sure to try these.

For those of you who haven't tried the Beef Fiesta Bites: think crustless quiche. The combination of artichoke hearts, crab, cheese and Italian seasonings is seriously yummy. These would be great for a light supper or brunch with a salad and a glass of white wine. I served them with a Cucumber & Feta salad tonight. Given the cute mini shape they would be great appetizers at a party.

You could definitely serve these for the big game this Sunday and take your Super Bowl party snacks up a notch. I will NOT be watching the big game. I don't watch football myself. I'm not anti-sports just not into football (I'm a PBR girl). So this Sunday I'll be watching a Jane Austen DVD marathon but there WILL be snacks.

Shelly's Italian Crab Bites

1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
2 clove Garlic, diced
1 teaspoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
5 Eggs
1 jar/4 oz. Red Pimentos, drained
1/2 cup Artichoke Hearts (non marinated), chopped fine
1 cup Shredded Cheese, Italian Blend
1 cup Cooked Crab Meat (I used Phillips brand)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Saute onions in butter till golden. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Set aside to cool. Mix all ingredients together. Be sure onions have cooled slightly before adding egg mixture. Spoon (I use a small ice cream scoop) into lightly greased mini muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until centers are firm. Makes 24.

Other Eggface Party Snacks


Darin said...

Looks delish! I hate mayo, so I'm always passing on crab cakes. These, however, are crab treats that I will try.

Jenn said...

I tried your fiesta bites this past week - delish. My only problem was that they stuck. I greased the pan really well so I'm not sure what happened? We just ate them out of the muffin tins hehe (whole family loved em!)

I'll have to try the crab ones for the people whole like crab. Someone else suggested the fiesta bites with turkey and rotel instead of the pimento/green chile. I thought about trying that one too. They are nice to have around for a quick meal - if they last that long!

Michelle said...

Hey Jenn,

I use a non-stick mini muffin tin and I pour a little olive oil in one hole and use a paper towel to swipe each hole.

The rotel is an interesting idea... my only thought would be it might water down the egg too much... maybe drain the liquid in the rotel. If I remember that product is a little soupy.

Hope this helps next time. Try these crab ones Mmmmm.

sparklingsue said...

Hey Michelle!
Once again...another fabulous recipe from you! I made these this weekend and they were delish!
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

i wish you had the protein and calorie count on all your recipes.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

If you want the nut value on any of my recipes... go to type in each individual ingredient, add those totals and divide by the # of servings I get from the dish.

I don't put the nut info on my recipes because... I'm not a nutritionist and nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef, etc. Plus serving size can vary what I eat as a 2 year post-op is a very different amount than a 3 month, 6 month, or 4 year post-op. The numbers would swing like a pendulum.