Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Stuffed Pizza Bites

A combination of two past bite incarnations Pizza Bite meets Bruschetta Bite. That sounds like one of those Japanese creature movies. Godzilla meets Mothra or whatever. Seriously, I know I have said this before but these might be my favorite version of these little suckers.

Shelly's Stuffed Pizza Bites

1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
4 Mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Butter
12 thin slices Pepperoni, diced (I used Boar's Head)
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
5 Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Bruschetta Sauce, drained of excess liquid (I used Trader Joe's but Contadina & Buitoni make one too - find in the fresh pasta section)
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
Small fresh Mozzarella balls (nickle size, halfed)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Saute onions in butter till golden. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute 1 minute more. Set aside to cool. Mix all ingredients together (except mozzarella balls.) Be sure veggie mixture has cooled slightly before adding to egg mixture. Spoon (I use a small ice cream scoop) into a lightly greased mini muffin tin (I use a drop of olive oil on a paper towel to swipe each muffin hole.) Insert 1/2 small fresh mozzarella ball in the middle of each bite. Bake for 30 minutes. Makes 24.

Serving suggestion: Serve with a green salad or a scoop of Shelly's Italian Bean Salad for a great light Italian themed meal. They make a great weight loss surgery friendly meal or party appetizer. Very kid friendly too.

Looking for more bites? I have like 47 versions ;)
Use the Eggface Search Engine <--- under my Before and After picture.
Type in keyword: Bites


Anonymous said...

I just have to tell you I had an entire "egg face" menu yesterday. It all started with your breakfast bar for in the morning, followed by your mexican chicken salad in a low carb wrap for lunch. Then supper was Greek meatloaf (that my eight year old daughter flipped for) and Apple strawberry crumb desert. It was a beautiful food day. Thanks for all you do.

BTC said...

I've had several "egg face" days. I start every day now with one of your many "bites" (my breakfast fav is the Ham & Cheese - like little mini omelettes), followed by one of your wraps for lunch, then the Basil Primavera Casserole for dinner, and brownie bites for dessert. It doesn't get any better than that!

BTW, the closest I've been able to find of the cottage cheese with pineapple in my neck of the woods is the Breakstone Activa that comes in 4 oz/4-packs. It seems to work out okay.


Hi Shelly, just wanted to let you know I've been on a bites kick lately & this week I made both your PIZZA BITES and STUFFED PIZZA BITES. I think the fresh mozz & bruschetta def gives the stuffed version a different taste, but the winner btwn the two is your orig PIZZA BITES!

The other bites recipes that I love, love, love is the spinach & feta cheese one - yummy!

Thank you so much for your fun recipes - michelle

janetlea said...

Every Saturday night has been pizza and a movie night for months with my family. I was very said when I wasn't able to eat pizza with them, it was the first time I felt deprived. Someone told me about your site this week and I tried these first for "Pizza Night" OMG -- thank you thank you thank you cannot say it enough! These are AWESOME and I feel like I got the better deal eating them instead of the pizza!