Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl Snacks

We decided to stay home for the Big Game. We debated going back to the Mexican restaurant/bar we went to for the playoff game but we had too many yummy snacks here to want to leave.

Sooooo we're cracking open a couple of Sam Adams, making up a little plate of goodies and plopping down on the couch to watch the Steelers kick the Cardinals butts (no hate mail please.)

Here are just two of the many weight loss surgery friendly, high protein yummy treats on my Super Bowl buffet today...

Snack #1 I believe just might be a remnant of my Martha Stewart demon possession from earlier in the week...


Shelly's Deviled Eggface Footballs

5 Hard-cooked Eggs
2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise (or 1 Tablespoon Mayo and 1 Tablespoon Fage Greek Yogurt)
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1 Green Onion, diced fine
1 stalk Celery, diced fine
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
additional Green Onion for laces

Hard cook eggs. Cool. Remove yolks and mash with above ingredients. Spoon back. Add green onion football laces. Refrigerate up to one day ahead.

and...


Shelly's Philly Cheese Steak Bites (by way of Pittsburgh)

1/4 lb. (about 4 slices) Roast Beef (I use Boar's Head Low Sodium), chopped
1 Yellow Onion, diced
1/2 Bell Pepper, diced
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup Cheddar or Provolone Cheese, shredded
5 Eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Saute onions and peppers till golden. Add beef and Worcestershire sauce and saute for 1 minute. Set aside to cool. When cool mix all ingredients together.

Spoon into lightly greased (Pam works great) mini muffin tins.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Makes 24.

37+ versions of these bites and I didn't think of these earlier??? OMG?! Soooo good. Total Philly cheesesteak sandwich fix.

I know.

Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia is Philadelphia (home of the cheesesteak and Eagle's country) but it's the same state ;) show some brotherly love.

There's a bunch of other stuff too... a Cheese & Veggie platter with a yummy Sun Dried Tomato Dip (I'll post that recipe one of these days) and Meatballs in BBQ Sauce. So you can see why we decided to hang out here. Yum!

Go Steelers!

15 comments:

Diane said...

Yumm-a-licious, once again! Tell me...how do you get your bites out of the pan in one piece. I have a nice little nonstick pan which I spray generously with Pam....still those little suckers stick like crazy! they end up looking quite malformed (still rockin' DELICIOUS though).

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Diane, Yep PAM or olive oil and a paper towel. Nonstick Wilton Pan. Pop out easy.

If your pan is older maybe its the non-stick coating that has gone? I have a big muffin pan I need to retire because it's starting to stick.

Glad you enjoy them!!!

~M

Deb said...

The same thing happened to me yesterday- I sprayed too and they stuck big time....maybe i need to rub it in with a paper towel? I did not do that. I ordered my mini donut pan last night- now I go on the hunt for Almond Flour- I am envisioning a little treat for Val Day with my old love, donuts!
Hey Shelly I really miss beer now and then but was afraid to try it because it is carbonated yes? I have had wine and the occasional fresh margarita with no problem....what is your experience with the beer? Down 115lbs today at 8 months post op! Hurray!
ps are you going to do a recipe book and make some well deserved cash or what? I will buy it!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yay Deb -115 in 8 months is AMAZING.

Beer... yep carbonated. I do champagne on New Year's too. If you can burp you are good to go. I don't believe in the stretching your pouch BS. I rarely get through a bottle but a few sips on Super Bowl are a must!

TY for the vote of confidence.

~M

Zazzy said...

Great looking treats - I'm enjoying reading through your recipes. I found you via OH and I also have a recipe blog trying to focus on healthy eating after WLS.

I will be a regular reader!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading all of your recipes. They look so delicious. I will be trying to make quite a few of them. I do wish that you had a cookbook for all of you recipes for us on the site. You could make a mint.Anyway Thanks for all that you do for us!
Joan Blanchfield
Kenton, Delaware

Tiffany said...

Shelly,

These look absoulutely delish. I wish I would have found your site prior to the Super Bowl... I'm from the 'Burgh ... and we had full house... I'm sure these would have been a hit...

I can't wait to try them!!!! Go Steelere!!! :)

Barbara said...

How do you reheat your bites? Do you freeze them? I am new to the site and loving the recipes :) Thanks for posting.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yep, you can freeze them. Defrost in the fridge and nuke or my fav way to reheat is in my toaster oven. They will last fine up to 3 days in the fridge too.

Hope you enjoy them,
~Michelle

Cara said...

New to your blog and new to surgery but can't wait to try these recipes...I am only 7 weeks out when did you begin to add in these foods that you are so creative with? I am still on soft foods. I also agree with the cook book recipe...I had been going crazy wondering how to cook things my kids would still like until I happened across this blog on a google search. Would love to have a cookbook in the kitchen.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Cara, Glad you found the blog. Hope you enjoy all you try. I was cleared for everything as tolerated at 8 weeks so I slowly became more and more adventurous every week. I added a few things at a time and if they didn't quite work the first try I waited a month & tried again. :)

Congrats & best wishes on your journey,
~Michelle

canticles said...

Gave you a shout out! Thanks for all your great ideas!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried using liners for these? If you did, how did that do?

A resident of SSK said...

This is my first post, and I know I am a few years late. I am from Philly and am just nuts over cheesesteaks. In the philly area, we would neved use Bell peppers, only hot peppers. Major taste difference. Try it. I am going to make cheesesteak bites this week. Wow! What a great way to make meals that you can freeze and grab. Gastric sleeve on August 17, 2011. I have been reading your blogs all week and I am hooked. Thanks soooo much.

Angela Rutigliano said...

So good made some today with leftovers!