Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Bacon and Swiss "Bites"

My favorite meal lately is a few of my "bites" and a scoop of my Italian Bean Salad. I ate it for dinner again last night though this "bite" version given it's breakfast-y ingredients would be especially good for breakfast with a nice fruit salad.

Shelly's Bacon & Swiss Bites

1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
6 slices cooked Bacon, diced
1 teaspoon Butter
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
a few twists of Black Pepper
5 Eggs, beaten
1/3 cup Tomato, diced (I used S&W canned, drained)
1 cup Swiss, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 F. Saute onions in butter till golden. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Set aside to cool. Mix all ingredients together. Be sure veggie mixture has cooled slightly before adding to egg mixture. Spoon (I use a small ice cream scoop) into a lightly greased mini muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until centers are firm. Makes 24.

This is very close to the original version of my "bites" that won a cooking contest for me two years ago. If you want... eliminate the oregano and replace it with some of that Hidden Valley Ranch Dry Seasoning Dressing Mix (sponsors of the contest) voila - the contest winner.Once you make these "bites" I swear you will understand why I have like 15 versions of them ;)

Other Eggface "Bites" (think crustless quiches):

Shelly's Beef Fiesta Bites
Shelly's Italian Crab Bites
Shelly's Artichoke Florentine Bites
Shelly's Breakfast Bites
Shelly's Pizza Bites
Shelly's Spinach & Feta Bites


Rachel said...

I didn't have all the ingredients so I left out a few and substituted the eggs for egg beaters. Not a fabulous outcome :( next time I'll follow your recipe to the letter.

Michelle said...

Bummer Rachel. These bites done to the recipe are no fail I swear.

I'd never had egg beaters till the other day at Costco they had a sample. Ummm they aren't eggs (not even close) Personally, I don't recommend forsaking flavor for calories. Just my 2.5 cents (inflation LOL)

Amie said...

Just wanted to say thanks once again for sharing your journey. Your recipes have really made my own journey not only smoother, but yummier. Your attitude is wonderful. You have helped me think outside the box as far as post op food choices, I can still be a "foodie" but within WLS rules, and I've lost about 120 lbs in 5 mos. Wow.
A question about the bites. I pretty sure they freeze well, then you can nuke them ? I finally got a mini muffin tin and will make some this AM.

Michelle said...

Hey amie, I'm so glad my fun in the kitchen helps others too :) Thank you. Hey if you have a toaster oven use that... if not then go ahead and nuke em. They will be fine in the microwave I just like them heated up better in the toaster oven.

ren said...

Can you freeze the bites?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yes, they can be frozen, defrost in fridge, reheat in oven or toaster over or they last several days in the fridge.