Saturday, March 13, 2010

Home Run Bites

I have a pal Kelli who works for the NY Mets. She emailed me awhile back and shared that the guys really enjoyed my Mini Fall Spice Protein Donuts and that the team dietitian gave them the thumbs up. The team is at spring training camp right now and have been enjoying my Philly Cheesesteak Bites. Though I am told they can not be referred to as "Philly" anything due to baseball rivalries :)

The guys have requested a Bite version of a Cuban sandwich. For those of you that aren't familiar with a Cuban sandwich here's a link that explains them (my Florida readers can skip this.) The bites turned out yummy and I think they capture all the key flavors of the original sandwich. Hope the team and you guys like it.

So now if the NY Mets have a winning season I'm gonna take a little credit for powering them with Eggface recipes.

If they don't... ummm... well... sorry guys. At least the bites were yummy ;)

Fingers and toes crossed Mr. Met keeps smiling all season long.


Shelly's Cuban Bites

2 slices Roast Pork, diced
2 slices Ham, diced
2 slices Swiss Cheese, diced
1/4 cup Pickle Relish (the hot dog topping kind)
1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 350. I get thick sliced (approx. 5 mm thick) cold cuts for this (ask for it by the slice versus 1/4 pound) then I dice them.

Mix all ingredients together. Spoon into lightly greased (Pam non-stick spray) mini muffin tins.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes till golden.

Let them cool a few moments they pull away and pop right out. Makes 24. Great in the fridge for a few days or freeze and defrost in fridge as needed. Reheat in oven.

How's this for an awesome Saturday afternoon... Cuban Bites, with a bowl of my Black Bean Soup and Scarface, one of the best movies ever made. I have a whole Cuban theme going on... hmmm now add one of those single, hottie NY Mets players to the mix and it'd be some afternoon.

Go Mets!

13 comments:

Lesley said...

I can't wait to try these. I love Cuban sandwiches, almost as much as I love the Mets! So if the Mets ever fly you out here to cook for them in person and you need an assistant let me know. Especially if there are free tickets involved. :) LET'S GO METS!

Maggie said...

If I know baseball players, your bites are gonna be too small! They should bake them in full size cupcake tins to get bigger ones...oh well. They may figure that out!
So cool Shelly! Congrats on making it to the BIG LEAGUES!!!

MacMadame said...

Dh is a Mets fan and I think even my picky eater might go for these.

Isn't lucky I have a dozen eggs that desperately need to be cooked and eaten?

altopower said...

Way cool! Will share with my nephew who is an NFL football player. Maybe you can be an inspiration to two sports!

Kelli said...

Eggface, You're absolutely AMAZIN'!!! You know I'll be making these tomorrow for the guys they're already lovin the bites, and still loving the muffins!

Maggie, cupcake size would be great too, but mini size is perfect for pop in your mouth snacks they grab 4 or 5, sometimes even 6 and go!

Shelly, thanks again for the great recipe and yes, Lesley's so correct, anytime you want to cook for them (or me :)) let me know! And as for your cuban night and needing one of the guys to watch scarface with, take your pick you know the way to a man is thorugh their stomach and you already won that! Lol

SO here's to a great season, many more protein full recipes and to Shelly!

LETS GO METS!

-Kelli
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/kellinymets?ref=profile

Anonymous said...

that is too bizarre that your post was for cuban bites, because I'm sitting here eating a cuban sandwich as I read and type! :) They are the only thing I have found that my 16 year old will literally get off the xbox long enough to eat :) Now I will have to see if the bites have the same effect! Thanks so very very much for all your recipes and also making me laugh on almost a daily basis!!
Nicole

kareninflorida said...

OMG I love you SOOO much for creating these! I sure have missed my Cubans since surgery (although I have had one post-op chicken cuban wrap at Nature's Table), and you *know* we have some good Cuban sandwiches here in South Fla!

That is so awesome that you are feeding the NY Mets, albeit indirectly. So is your friend Kelli gonna hook you up or what?? ;)

Kelli said...

@ KareninFL, very much so! :)

Jutanna said...

I am personally addicted to your Feista Beef bites, but can't wait to try these. I have also been playing with PB2 after being inspired by some of your recipes. My favorite so far is a peanut butter cup protein shake with PB2, chocolate protein powder and a little SF carmel syrup. Thanks for all your great ideas!

Steph said...

Big Mets fan here and soooo glad you'll be helping them nutritionally! How cool!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it so cool your creations are being eaten by the Met's baseball players. Maybe we should send some to my beloved Mariners.
I love baseball and your blog.
Deb T in Seattle

MC said...

Wow! I'm a little late catching up with your blog.... but I am so excited to try this. I've made a few of the different bite versions, and am a BIG fan of Cuban sandwiches....can't wait! Thanks for your always great ideas! LETS GO METS!!!!

Leigh Ann said...

My husband is a HUGE Mets fan and I showed him this post and he loved it!