Saturday, August 9, 2008

Foo Rangoon Bites

Yesterday was the first day of the Olympic Games in Beijing, China so in honor of that I decided to make a new "bite" (aka crustless quiche.) I took two of my favorite Chinese Food take out items and blended them together. So think Egg Foo Young meets Crab Rangoon. They were really yummy! I had them on there own but they would be a perfect side to a stir fry.


Shelly's Foo Rangoon Bites

1 cup Bean Sprouts
1/2 Red Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
2 cloves Garlic, diced
5 Eggs
2 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 cup Crab Meat, canned, drained
Butter/Oil for sauteing

Preheat oven to 350 F. Saute onions and bean sprouts till golden. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Set aside to cool.


Mix crab and cream cheese together. Mix all ingredients together. Be sure onions and sprouts have cooled slightly before adding eggs.


Spoon (I use a small ice cream scoop) into a greased mini muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes. Makes 24.


Highlights of the day:

* Went to the Farmer's Market. Got some good stuff including a big bunch of Kyoto Grapes that I can't stop eating. OMG these rock! They taste exactly like Welch's Grape Juice. If you find them at your local FM grab some. Don't know if you have a local FM? Click on the link in this post to search your area.

* Had a little romance (that which eludes me) movie marathon... Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Can't Buy Me Love. Nice way to spend a HOT Saturday afternoon.

* Going for a $2 Latte tonight after my walk. It's another Starbuck's Registered Card Benefit: If you buy a drink from Starbucks before noon, save your receipt. Go to any Starbuck's after 2pm the same day and present that receipt, you can order any iced grande drink for just $2.


Listening to: "One For The Mockingbird" Cutting Crew

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My significant other just had gastric bypass, and I found your blog when I was looking for recipes. Your blog is very informative, and I plan on trying a lot of the recipes.

I was wondering, and I'm sure others are as well, if you could post how many grams of protein you think might be in a serving for a recipe when you put it up. I know you won't know the exact amount most likely, but thought you probably had some idea if you are keeping track of your protein.

Thank you again for putting up this blog... it's a great resource!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you and best wishes to your SO. I'm so glad you enjoy my blog. I started it just to keep my friends and family up to date on my journey so it's neat to me that others have found it useful.

I don't put the nut info on my recipes because nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef, etc. Plus serving size can vary what I eat as a 2 year post-op is a very different amount than a 3 month, 6 month, or 4 year post-op. The numbers would swing like a pendulum.

What I do when I need to find the nut info is go to fitday.com type in each individual ingredient I use, add those totals and divide by the # of servings I get from the dish.

Hope this helps,
~Michelle

DCY said...

Foo Rangoon as opposed to Faux Rangoon, either or, but I bet it is tasty. Will have to try as soon as I go to the store and get me some bean sprouts and crab meat.

Anonymous said...

I have a batch in the oven now, and am working on the pancake bites next. You have no idea what an inspiration you are to me. I am an old school kind of cook, I seldom measure anything. Your recipes are easy to follow and best of all tasty!!

redheadlpn said...

these are yummy!! Glad to have a good for me version of "chinese food" and hubby enjoyed them too

Sarah said...

I just want to say thank you for all that you do! I am only four weeks out from open RNY and starting to experiment with some of your recipies. The protein ice cream was (and still is) my go to when I am having problems with protein intake. I have this one in the oven now, smells sooo good! You have helped make this transition for me easy and tasty :)

Anonymous said...

Without a doubt I agree with many of these people. You are awesome. Love all the little bite recipes as I'm still with in 1 month diet and getting tired of the same old things. THANK YOU!! :)