Thursday, April 9, 2009

Denver Bites

No offense to my Colorado readers. I've actually never stayed in Denver only flown through. I hear it's a lovely city with lots of yummy beer. I am, of course, referring to a Denver omelette, the classic breakfast menu item. The Denver omelette is filled with diced ham, onions, and green bell peppers and it's one of my favorites so it was only a matter of time till I turned it into a bite.

If you haven't made my bites yet ummm what are you waiting for?!

There are at least 47 (well not quite that many but pretty darn close) and surely there's a combo that you will love.

Think crustless quiches.

They are perfect for breakfast on there own or with fruit salad, lunch or dinner with a salad or soup, or party appetizers. Great for Easter brunch. They freeze well if you keep them from being eaten long enough to freeze them 'cause non-ops and kids love 'em. I heart the little suckers. They are one of my favorite post weight loss surgery friendly meals.


Shelly's Denver Bites

1 Yellow Onion, diced
2 Green Onions, diced
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, diced
2 slices of Ham, diced
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Picante Sauce (or Salsa)
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Saute onions and peppers till golden. Add ham and saute 1 minute more. Set aside to cool. When cool mix all ingredients together.

Spoon into lightly greased (Pam works great) mini muffin tins. Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Makes 24.


I served them for dinner last night with a mixed green salad with pecans, dried cranberries and a sweet onion vinaigrette. Then it was outside to sit on the patio swing and gaze at that beautiful moon. Did you see it? It's full tonight. Check it out.

11 comments:

Tora said...

YUM! They look like they are to die for (coming from a girl who was born/raised in CO). Question... Do they easily come out of the pan once they cool?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I hope you love them. I take them out of the pan before they cool. Just a few minutes out of the oven. Be sure to use a non-stick mini muffin pan and spray it liberally with Pam or oil it with olive oil. They will pop right out.

BrandNewMe said...

I wish I had found you 3 years ago when I was Preop!!! You ROCK
How many Minis is a serving?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks!

You know serving will depend I guess on how far out you are... I'm almost three years I can eat 4 on their own or three with soup or a scoop of salad.

Earlier out I was eating 3 alone.

~Michelle

Tammara, Jess and Cory said...

Whoa here is breakfast on Easter sunday thank you Shelly you are the best. have a wonderful Easter.
I have to share I check your sight at least everyday to see what is cooking.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU so much for this recipe - I just made them to serve for tomorrow's Easter breakfast. Of course, I had to try TWO and they were GREAT! Thank you so much for the recipe and the great idea!

PoetsSpirit said...

This looks great! I was wondering, can you use egg beaters for these bites? or Two yolks and four whites, perhaps?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you. I have not used egg beaters (not a fan of them) but I would think it would be fine ;) Hope you enjoy them.

~Michelle

Michelle "Shelly" said...

So glad they were an enjoyed part of your Easter celebrations.

~M

Anonymous said...

how long do these last in the fridge for you? Do you ever freeze?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

They freeze quite well. Defrost in fridge and then bake, nuke or I prefer toaster oven. I keep them in the fridge for 3 days.