This weekend

I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday to buy more leeks. I experimented Friday and made a seriously yummy veggie dish: a Cauliflower and Leek Gratin. If you are an onion lover you'll want to make this. It was sooooo good. We had it as a side dish with Chicken Marsala. Some time this coming week I think I will experiment and add chicken or beef to make it a whole meal. I'll let you know how it turns out. Here's the recipe and FP for version one:


Shelly's Cauliflower and Leek Gratin

1 head Cauliflower, broken into florets
3 Leeks, white & light green parts only, sliced
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon dried Basil
1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 Tablespoon fresh Chives
2 Tablespoon Flour
1 1/2 cups Milk, cold
1/2 cup Frozen Peas
1/2 cup Grated Italian 4 Cheese Blend
2 Tablespoons Italian style dried Bread Crumbs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Steam Cauliflower until just tender when a knife is inserted. Set cauliflower aside to cool while making the sauce. Slice leeks in 1/2" inch thick slices and wash thoroughly. Saute butter, leeks, salt and pepper, herbs till lightly golden. Add flour to leeks and cook for 1 minute. Add milk and cook while stirring constantly, when the mixture comes to a low boil and thickens turn off the heat. Put the cauliflower into the sauce, add peas. Mix to combine. Pour into casserole dish. Top with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown approximately 25 minutes.


I left the FM this week with zucchini, corn, cauliflower, mushrooms, garlic, more heirloom tomatoes (they have the best tomatoes) and a loaf of my Mom's favorite Austrian fruit bread. I ran some errands and then headed home to clean the garage. Fun stuff ;)

I did pause my cleaning to catch my co-worker/pal Amy's follow-up on MTV. All I can say is "Wow" -400 pounds is beyond amazing and inspiring. If you missed the show check it out on You Tube.

Oh, I did have a wow this weekend I will share. We have a swing in the backyard. It came with the house. Seats two. I sat on it once pre-op (alone) and heard a loud creak, got up quick and never sat on it again. Last night it was especially starry and my Mom and I decided to have coffee in the backyard. We both sat on the swing. Not a creak to be heard. Woo Hoo!


Highlights of the weekend:

* My garage is clean.

* I'm going to start enjoying my patio swing and I guess it's just in time ;) because apparently Mars is coming.

* I almost have my PS financing figured out... so I can look at scheduling a date soon. Ahhh! Exciting... scary.

Listening to: "Beats So Lonely" Charlie Sexton. I love this song. It was in the 80's movie "Some Kind of Wonderful" when Keith and Amanda are at Hardy's party. In case you didn't know I'm an 80's movie/music freak.