Farmer's Market (revisited)

Went to the Farmer's Market this morning. I heart the Farmer's Market. I know I've talked about it before but it rocks and is worthy of several blog entries. Everything is super "picked that morning" fresh and at most stalls you get to try before you buy. For a post-op Gastric Bypass patient with our itsy-bitsy capacity this means: Free Lunch. Today I sampled smoked fish, cheeses, fruits, veggies, nuts and I was full. I am a cheap date.

If you need a reason to shop at a Farmer's Market here you go:

Freshness
Flavor
Variety
Availability of produce not often found in supermarkets (many organic and some heirloom varieties)
Pricing
Supporting Local Farmers
Fun Atmosphere
Get some walking in

I go because unlike fruits and veggies from the supermarket the ones from the Farmer's Market actually TASTE. So worth getting up early on a Saturday for.

If you want to locate a Farmer's Market in your area. Type your zipcode in at this site for a list of Market's near you.

Here's a pic of today's bounty:


Strawberries (I'm making a weight loss surgery friendly dessert tonight I will post the recipe and pic so check back), Garlic (two varieties Polish and Purple), Corn (BBQing later with steaks), big bunches of Dill and Parsley, Nectarines, Yellow Squash and Zucchini, Maple Rum Smoked Salmon (OMG!!), Smoked Cream Cheese (OMG squared!!), Nine Grain Bread (for my Mom, I don't do bread) and 1/2 a loaf of Austrian Fruit and Nut Bread (also for Mom)