Sunday, November 8, 2009

Costco - Weight Loss Surgery Friendly?

You'd think there wouldn't be a whole lot at Costco for us after we have weight loss surgery. I mean everything is in such LARGE quantities but I've found a few things that are weight loss surgery friendly and have been very helpful on my journey.

Click on the linked items to see usage ideas. Per my pal Robin's request.

Here's my Costco shopping list
:

Ground Beef & Turkey (I portion out in 1/2 lb. sections & freeze)
Frozen Freeze Portions (Tilapia, Salmon)
Tortilla Crusted Tilapia
Silk Soy or Almond Milk 3 pk (best price),  Blue Diamond Shelf Stable Almond Milk
Foster Farms Turkey Meatballs
Cheeses (current favorites Wensleydale Cheddar with Cranberries & Fresh Asiago)
Quick'N Eat Fully Cooked Choice Angus Patties
Frozen Shrimp
Frozen Fruit (for Protein Shakes)
Tribe Single Serve Hummus
Dietz & Watson Cold Cuts (London Broil is great & can be frozen/defrosted for casseroles later)
Fresh Seafood (Shrimp, Scallops, Crab Legs, Clams)
Rotisserie Chicken
Eggs
String Cheese (best price)
Coach's Oats
Turkey Jerky
All Natural Fruit Crunchies (purse snacks)
Canned Beans (great pantry staple)
Canned Crab Meat
Chicken Broth
Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenderloins
Madras Lentils
Fresh Mango
Driscoll's Raspberries
3 packs of Hothouse Cucumbers (my crackers)

If you use 0% Fage Greek Yogurt they carry a HUGE tub at a great price. I use 2% more.

Non-food:
Photo developing for when you are dropping sizes.
I've gotten a few cute outfits too.

If I think of more I will add them but that's the main stuff. Well there is always the "Costco Buffet" as I call it... a sample of cheese, a hunk of meat or two and I'm full. I'm a cheap lunch date.

Have Fun.
My Weight Loss Surgery Pantry Essentials
My Trader Joe's Shopping List
My Pureed Food Shopping List

9 comments:

altopower said...

That's a great list! I'll have to see what similar things are available to me here from BJ's (much closer than Costco). I'm still on liquids so it's not a huge rush, but still ...

Quick unrelated question - I love the many varieties of quick bites you've concocted but am curious about how many = a serving for you. How do you factor them?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks. Hope you find equivalents.


I love those little suckers too... well hmm it depends... if I have a scoop of green salad or bean salad with for a lunch or dinner then 3 on their own breakfast-on-the-go I can do 4. Always stick to portion sizes your Dr. or nutrtionist recommends for your stage.

~M

BTC said...

I'm sad to say I can't get Naked Nuggets or the Tortilla Crusted Tilapia at my local Costco :-(

Michelle "Shelly" said...

BTC, :( Try requesting it. Tell them to get the product #'s from the Temecula, CA store or give my store a call. You'd be surprised... I request stuff all the time from stores and 9 times out of ten they will at least order it once. I'd wait till after the holidays... they have so much stuff appetizers, unusual items that will be gone.

Hope it works :)
~M

BTC said...

I'm headed over there next weekend and I'll ask. Thanks!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

I'm sitting on a post about costco that I might publish his week also, so funny....seems to be the source for some buzz around the blogosphere. JEalous of the single serve hummus! Thanks!

Salted with Shadows said...

I live in Washington State--I looked into the Naked Nuggets and was told they weren't yet carried in Costco here or in Oregon. I hope that changes soon.

I get my 25g protein bullets at Costco--the Body Choice ones come in Fruit Punch or Orange Sunshine and are with the vitamins and such near the pharmacy. They cost $19.99 for a 12-pack. They also carry the Muscle Milk Light ready-to-drinks in that part of Costco in the chocolate flavor, and at least one other ready-to-drink. That was great for me when in my early post-op days on liquids.

Thanks for posting your shopping lists! That is so helpful! Shopping is such an adventure since WLS.

Hayley and Adam Gibbons said...

I actually go on Saturday when they have the samples, its a great time to get satisfied with a free snack, sometimes fills me up as a lunch! I love Costco, very good to buy in bulk proteins! The fresh produce is good if you have a big freezer to store leftovers

Erinn said...

I've gotta get my local Costco to carry the Silk unsweetened almond milk. It's half the calories of the original (original is 60 calories per 8 oz serving, unsweetened is 30) and no sugar added.