Monday, August 17, 2009

Just what the Dr. ordered

Snobby foodies be damned. Old school casseroles rock. Listen I enjoy Kobe Beef and Kurobuta Ham too but casseroles well... they just rock. Yep, canned soup and American cheese. I would have used Cheez Whiz (for a "whiz wit" my Philadelphia pals will know what I mean) if I had it in the house but the singles diced worked out fine.

Hot, bubbly, cheesy, gooey, comforting yumminess.


Shelly's Philly Cheese Steak Casserole

1/2 a Maui Onion, diced
1 Large Green Pepper, diced
6 Mushrooms, sliced
2 small Zucchini, sliced
a little under a 1/2 lb. (about 7 slices) Roast Beef or London Broil Cold Cut Meat, chopped
1 can (10.5 oz.) Cream of Celery Soup, unconstituted
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
4 slices of American Cheese, diced (yep Kraft singles)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Saute onions, green peppers & mushrooms till golden. Remove from pan. Add zucchini and saute till golden and fork tender. Add back veggies. Add beef, soup, Worcestershire, cheese & seasonings. Mix to combine and melt cheese.

Pour into Pyrex casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Had a super fun weekend with my sis and her "husband" David (28 years together but no paperwork dealio) but you know entertaining is tiring... lots of cooking and laughing. Last night after everyone was gone I needed an easy and comforting dish. This was just what the doctor ordered.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great! American cheese, woo hoo!

Vicki said...

First let me say, I love your blog! Lots of great ideas for a new post-op such as myself.
Not at all related to your casserole, but I was wondering if you had ANY suggestions for how I could use the CarbThin 0 carb baking mix I ordered (I got it here: http://www.netrition.com/healthsmart_carbthin_zerocarb_soy_bake_mix.html - there are also the nutrition facts on there). I tried making the pancakes today by taking their recipe, adding Splenda, vanilla extract, baking powder and a bit of Torani syrup, but they are vile. Even when covered in lots of Walden Farms Pancake Syrup, I can't get down more than half of one small pancake. Luckily, I only cooked one, and want to modify the rest of the batch.
I'd appreciate any suggestions you can lend.
Keep it up with the blog and with staying in shape!

Kathy and Judy said...

I'm curious as to how many servings (WLS size) you get out of the 1/2 pound of meat, etc. Looks like about 4??
Looks YUMMY, by the way! :-)
Judy

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy it!

***

Hey Vicki, Thanks. Glad you are enjoying the blog.

YOu know I don't use either product. Advice ;) Give it away and that nasty Walden Farms stuff and make these:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/08/ice-cream-sandwiches-for-breakfast.html

Top them with Cary's SF Syrup (yummy) or my Blueberry Almond Compote from the other day.

or these...

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/04/chocolate-coconut-ricottage-pancakes.html

~Michelle

Sarah said...

As a Philly girl living outside, I TOTALLY understand the Whiz! Yum. I'll have to definitely give this one a try at home after Labor Day... sounds perfect for Football!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I don't put serving size because really that is going to depend on how far out you are. For this 3 year post-op RNYer and a big eater non-op it will do 4. For a 3 monther they will eat off it for a month ;) LOL. Just kidding. Sort of.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yay Sarah! Love the Whiz!

Matt said...

Hi Shelly,

I absolutely love your blog. It really inspires me to be healthier and be mindful of what goes in my mouth. I am only 3 short weeks out of gastric bypass...ack! I can't get too much down right now. Yogurt, frozen yogurt, soup, protein shakes, the occasional soy-meat (1/2 boca burger, fake chicken nuggets, etc). Can I ask you....were you similar only a month out of surgery? I can't wait to be able to eat just a small portion and not feel like it's stuck in my throat.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Matt,

Glad you are enjoying the blog. Congratulations on your recent surgery.

To answer your Q: OH YEAH! I remember those first few weeks (about 7 or so) when it was all I could do to get a few tablespoons of refried beans down. It gets better. The swelling goes down and you find your groove, what works, what doesn't (for now) and you will soon feel less like a patient.

Find 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners, a snack or two that work for you and rotate them. Each week add something new... if it works great if it doesn't wait a month and try again. Soon you will be amazed at the variety you'll be eating.

Speedy healing!!! Keep me updated on how you are doing.

~Michelle

Connie said...

Michelle,
This definitely looks like something I have to try! I loved cheese steaks preop and haven't had anything remotely similar postop. Thanks!
Connie

Robin said...

OMGahhhhh! Yum!!!!!

kay said...

made it was very good i added some A-1 sauce to it about a Tbsp. to give it some kick It was very good even my husband ate it!