Monday, January 4, 2010

Mini Cheese Stuffed Peppers

This was today's lunch. It is the ultimate "ladies who lunch" type meal. Invite your Mom, Grandma or a group of girlfriends over and make them this one. A couple of mini stuffed peppers on a simple mixed green salad with a balsamic vinaigrette and Strawberry Cannoli or Flan for dessert. Yum.

My Mum loved it. Her exact words were "Ooohhh Shell. This is a home-run." So it has two thumbs up from Mum. It was the anniversary of my Dad's passing today. It seemed like a nice diversion from the day to have a little special luncheon.

They are also the perfect party appetizer as they can be served hot, cold or room temp and taste awesome at any temperature.


Shelly's Mini Cheese Stuffed Peppers

12-14 (approx. 1/2 lb) Baby Bell Peppers, halved (Costco sells 2 lb bags of these)
sprinkle of Kosher Salt
1 Yellow Onion, diced
2 slices Capicola (Coppa) Ham or Prosciutto, diced
5 oz. Herb Goat Cheese (Chevre)
1/4 cup Italian Blend Cheese, shredded (Mozzarella, Parmesan, Fontina Blend)
1 Tablespoon Parmesan, grated

Half baby peppers and remove seeds. Wash & dry thoroughly. Place in a Pyrex casserole dish that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray. Sprinkle with Kosher salt. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Saute onion till golden. Add ham. Cook 1 minute more. Set aside to cool. Mix cooled mixture with remaining ingredients (except Parmesan) till well combined. Spoon mixture into a quart sized Ziploc bag. Seal baggie and snip off one corner to form a piping bag.

Pipe cheese mixture into par-cooked mini peppers.

Sprinkle with Parmesan. Return to 350 oven for 30-35 minutes more or until cheese is slightly golden.

Leftovers are yummy reheated with eggs in the morning. Just pop them in the oven or toaster over till warmed through or if you are really in a hurry just chop them up into the eggs like a scramble.

If you haven't tried goat cheese... do it. I promise you it's delicious. It's lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than cream cheese (which can be subbed though it's not nearly as good.) Goat cheese is also easier to digest than cow's milk cheeses. Lots of people who are lactose intolerant can eat cheeses made from goat's milk. I get the little logs of it at Trader Joe's (cheapest price) but they are readily available at most supermarkets. Costco sells a big log but it's a bit too big (you can freeze it.) For this recipe I used the herb coated goat cheese log. There's also a plain and cranberry version. All are delicious. If you can only find plain just toss some basil, oregano in the mixture.


"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~Robert Brault

10 comments:

PsychoChris said...

Dear girl.

Please move to San Antonio and feed me.

That is all.

kthxbye!



Love the peppers idea!!!

Beverly said...

O.M.G. You have done it again. Another recipe to add to my ever expanding recipe file. Thank you!

I finally tried the Italian Baked Ricotta, and all I can say is "WOW"! I did make one addition to the recipe. I thinly sliced 3 turkey meatballs, and then layered them on the cheese. It was wonderful and I still have 2/3 of it in single serving portions in the freezer so I can quickly have it again in the future.

Thank you for sharing your expertise and creativity with us. You are making my eating experiences better.

Bev :)

grump said...

I'm with PsychoChris... you can come feed me any time you like!

Diana said...

Yummy-roo! Dang this is on my try-next list!

OliveOilTan said...

Not a fan of bell peppers cooked but I am going to try this with jalapenos!

MacBug said...

add a touch of bacon and pipe into jalepeno peppers for something spicy ;)

Angelyco said...

Hi Shelly,

I just found your blog a few weeks ago through someone else's VSG blog (I have the Band myself) and this is the first recipe we tried, we made it last night.

WOW.

I couldn't find the baby bell peppers, so I got a few colorful regular bell peppers and made "boats" out of the curves. This recipe did take quite a bit of prep time, but it was so worth it and now I know to start making it a little earlier. It was incredibly filling but it was so good I ate a bit past my full point (not good!). I didn't even need to make a side dish with these, I didn't miss the carbs and the flavors were varied enough to keep me interested.

We will definitely be making these again!

I can't wait to try some of your "bites," pizza meatloaf, the list goes on...thanks for putting so much love into this blog!

Chef k said...

Hi I am a chef that just went through the same surgery, your doing great and are a great example to us who are now "in it". Food is excellent as well.

Chef K

Kimberly Hinrichs said...

Shelly I mixed up 2 of your recipes and took mini peppers like these and halved them, then combined goat cheese and store-bought pesto, and put them in the oven. I licked the spoon when I was done stuffing the peppers and all I can say is I can't wait for them to come out of the oven! I hope my hubby doesn't like them so I get them all!

Leisa said...

This was one of the first recipes I tried after I had RNY 2 1/2 years ago, and gave a couple to my mom to try. Well, she TOTALLY fell in love with these little babies, and has requested them over and over again! Even my skinny-minny lol sister-in-law loves them!

While you're on your cross-country feeding tour, make sure to plan a stop in Roanoke VA....we'll be waiting ;)