Thursday, June 19, 2008

Healthy Foil Packet Dinners - Shrimp and Moths

We loved the Pesto Shrimp & Veggie Packets from the other day so much we decided to have them again tonight but I changed things up a bit. OMG these are sooooo good... all the yummy stuff from a restaurant shrimp pasta dish without the heavy useless pasta. Shrimp are a great protein source too. A four ounce serving of shrimp supplies 23 grams of protein.

shellfish seafood weight loss healthy camping easy dinners
Shelly's Shrimp Venezia Packet

7 Raw Shrimp, peeled & deveined and tails removed
1/2 cup Fresh Spinach Leaves
1/4 of a Small Onion, sliced
1/2 Small Zucchini, sliced
3 Artichoke Hearts, chopped
2 Tablespoons Bruschetta Sauce (I used Trader Joe's but Contadina/Buitoni make one. Find it in the fresh pasta section)
1 Tablespoon Pesto Sauce (I used Trader Joe's but Contadina/Buitoni make one. Find it in the fresh pasta section)
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Peel and devein shrimp. Ingredients listed are for one packet multiply it for how many packets you are making. Place all ingredients in center of a piece of heavy duty foil (if you are using the $1 store stuff double it)

Fold the foil over and seal each packet. BBQ 15 minutes in covered grill. Open packets carefully (steam burns are not fun) and mix with a fork lightly before serving.

Highlights of the day:

* It's suppose to be cooling down. It was 102 today and woot only forecast for 100 tomorrow. Uggh. My walks have been too toasty but I did sweat a pound off this week.

* Conversation my Mum and I had this am (I should mention my Mum wears a hearing aid) but this will explain a lot about me.

Me (reading the horoscope outloud): Mars is in Uranus.
Mum: What?! Moths are in your Anus?

Listening to: "Lorraine" Dicky Barrett (swoon) and Bim Skala Bim


DCY said...

OMG, How funny your conversation with your hard of hearing wonderful mother. I love it.

Kathy L said...

OMG! Did she really say that? That is the funniest thing I have heard all day!!

Kathy L

Star said...

Hey Shelly...It's Star. Ok, so i'm 10 days away from my surgery date and i'm starting to freak out a little that i'm not going to have "the right" things in the house. Any suggestions of things in the hospital and/or for the first few weeks home??

Thanks girl!! You rock!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL I was rolling. Yep. I come from kooky stock!


Hey Star,

In the hospital I was a little different as I was in another country but here's a link to the list on OH:

Food stuff I needed the first week at home...

(This will depend on your Dr of course)

Broth (I liked the boxed kind I mixed flavors to make new flavors Chicken with Mushroom, Beef with Onion, etc.)
SF Jello/Pudding
SF Popsicles, Fudgesicles
Cream of wheat (I mixed protein in it)
SF Syrups (sweetened stuff and masked the protein taste)
Milk (I use Soy)
Non fat dry milk (adds protein)
SF Carnation Instant Breakfast
Water bottles
Protein (samples of different ones are best)
Decaf Tea
Cheese sticks (I was allowed stuff some aren't)

Also check my Pureed Foods list if you are moved on to them quick. I was allowed pureed day 5 (it's different in Mexico)

Sneakers you'll be doing a lot of walking.

If I think of something else I'll add it ;)


Kayla said...

Thanks for the reminder about the Attune coupons. I'm reading your blog at 1 am in the morning (I should really get to bed! lol), so I ended up nabbing one, woohoo!

I love me some free yummies.

Tailynn said...

We’ve been trying to get my grandfather to have his hearing checked for years. He claims if we would stop mumbling he could understand us. So I definitely know how crazy a conversation can get. I think the best one was when my grandmother yelled downstairs and asked him to bring her some Kleenex and he brought her peanuts. Oh, what a laugh we had. We are definitely weather opposites. It’s been unseasonably cool here in CT. I’m not complaining though ‘70s is my kind of weather, if only I could find time to go out and enjoy it.

Pamela R said...

LOLROF that is priceless!!! You gave me my laugh for the day.

Star said...

Awesome...Thanks Michelle for the information, I appreciate it. Ciao.