Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world. Here's what I ate yesterday...

Breakfast: If you own a tub of Spiced Chai Protein Powder from making that "protein granola" I love spare a little for this yogurt dip one morning. I dipped fresh mango chunks in it.

Breakfast Weight Loss Surgery Healthy WLS VSG Gastric Bypass Recipes

Shelly's Spiced Chai Yogurt Dip

1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, plain
2 Tablespoons Big Train Fit Frappe Spiced Chai Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Honey (or Sugar Free Torani Syrup - SF Vanilla)

Mix together till well blended. The honey, mango, chai combo was perfect together sort of Indian. If you can't do honey any sweetener you use would be fine.

6 Greek Yogurt Breakfasts

Lunch: I love salads like this they get even better the next day. This is something that would be perfect to make the day after you make my Quinoa Patties because there is always a spare cup of cooked quinoa from that.

WLS Food RNY VSG Cooking Menus Vegetarian

Shelly's Chickpea and Quinoa Salad

1 can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup Cooked Quinoa
1/2 Hothouse Cucumber, peeled and chopped
3 medium Tomatoes, chopped
1 Tablespoon Fresh Mint, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons Crumbled Feta Cheese
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
juice of 1/2 a Lemon
a few twists of Black Pepper

Mix all ingredients together till well combined. You can add a dressing or a drizzle of olive oil... I don't the lemon juice and tomatoes make it's own dressing that is perfect for me. You could add tuna, cooked chicken or salmon to this. I actually intended on putting tuna in but forgot.


More Favorite Salads
Oodles of Bean Recipes

Dinner: I picked up a spaghetti squash at the Farmer's Market on Saturday. I didn't really have a plan at the time but I was chatting with my Mum about foods I used to eat as a kid and it reminded me of a sandwich I loved. It was sausage and ricotta cheese on homemade Sicilian bread rolls. It was sort of calzone-ish. I don't do bread post weight loss surgery and truly I could never replicate my father's bread and anything else would be a disappointment, so why bother. This gave me all the delicious flavors of my childhood.

Bariatric Surgery Weight Loss Fitness Healthy Italian Dinners

Shelly's Ricotta and Sausage Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

1 small/medium Spaghetti Squash
1/4 cup Water
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
2 Green Onions, diced
1/2 cup Cooked Sausage, Crumbles
1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese (plus another Tablespoon or so for sprinkling on top)
1/2 teaspoon Italian Blend Seasonings (Garlic, Basil, Oregano, Red Pepper)
1 Teaspoon Oregano

Half and deseed the spaghetti squash. Place open end down on a Pyrex baking dish, pour 1/4 cup of water in the dish. Cover with foil. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes. You want a fork to insert easily. Allow to cool slightly. Use two forks to shred the flesh of the cooked squash into "spaghetti." remove as much of the squash as possible leaving the hollowed out skins. In a clean dish towel squeeze the squash to remove any excess water. Place in a bowl. Set aside.

Healthy Food Blog

Saute onions till golden. Add sausage and seasonings. Cook for a couple of minutes till sausage is warmed through. I used those Jimmy Dean Cooked Sausage Crumbles. You could certainly saute some sausage meat or use leftover BBQ sausages chopped up. If you are not a sausage fan you could use turkey or beef but I'd toss in some fennel or something to give it a "sausage flavor." Mix ricotta, onions, sausage, 2 Tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and seasonings till well combined. Fold this mixture into the squash until they are thoroughly combined. Spoon everything back into the hollowed squash skins. Sprinkle with a little more Parmesan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

More Healthy Italian Recipes

Snacks: Too much coffee, a Cottage Cheese Double and a few Blue Diamond Salted Caramel Almonds,


More Days in my pouch