Saturday, April 5, 2014

Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world.

Breakfast: I made a variation on my Cinnamon Apple Walnut Salad. I replaced the walnuts with pecans and used Sugar Free Belgian Cookie Torani Syrup (any flavor would be great.)


Lunch:  Chicken Salad Melt. Mixed up some Chicken Salad (canned white meat chicken, a dollop of Greek yogurt, chopped celery, chopped green onion, dash of dried dill, a few twists of black pepper), spooned it onto a thick slice of tomato, sprinkled it with a little cheese and broiled it till the cheese was melted. Soooo good.


Other Eggface Chicken Salads  

Dinner: I made a sort of Inside-Out Chicken Cordon Bleu and served it with steamed green beans.

 

For each you will need: 1 slice of ham (look for low sodium, nitrate-free), 1/2 a piece of Swiss cheese, a few pieces of cooked chicken (I used leftover sliced BBQ chicken.)


Roll those up ham on the outside, cheese then chicken in the center. I placed 2 in an oval gratin dish (1 was plenty per person) with a veggie.


I topped the roll-ups with a mushroom sauce, sprinkled with Parmesan and placed the whole thing under the broiler for a few minutes till golden and bubbly.


Shelly's Mushroom Sauce

8-10 Mushrooms, sliced
pinch of dried Thyme
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Spelt Flour
1/4 cup Chicken Broth
1/4 cup Milk

Saute mushrooms (any, I used white because it was all I had but crimini would be great or a combo) till golden, I spray the pan with a little Pam (optional.) Add thyme, butter and spelt, mix together and cook for 1 minute. Add liquid slowly. Stir and cook till bubbling and thickened.

Snacks: Too much coffee, a Grande 3 pump Sugar Free Vanilla Soy Latte and a hunk (about 1/3) of Cookies and Cream Quest Protein Bar.



More Days in my pouch.

Update on me: I had my second iron infusion this week. This one didn't go as well as the first. I apparently have very small veins (doesn't that sound like a compliment... it's not) so they kept blowing through them. After 2 nurses, a couple of hot packs and many, many needle sticks they finally got one. For those that asked about what I'm having done... This was the 2nd of 2 treatments of Injectafer scheduled a week a part (about 1/2 hour treatment once they found a vein) then we'll do labs again in May and see where I am at and if more are needed. All my other labs are stellar so hopefully we can get this one up and all will be grand again. Thanks for thinking of me.

post signature

12 comments:

shannon smith said...

Looks tasty as always! Hope you are done with getting "stuck" for awhile:)

KajunDee said...

Shelly, I love your recipes. As a sleeved newbie I worry about deficiencies. I'm curious, Are you taking the subliminal iron while your doing these infusions? Or have they stopped your supplements during the process?

Have you had this issue before? It is my hope that I will be able to get my nutrients from healthy foods as time goes on, now I'm not so sure. Hope this process works for you!

Richelle the Unready said...

I will have to try that chicken salad...
Hope your labs improve. I get my latest results on the 16th.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you Richelle. Hope all goes well with yours!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

KajunDee, Yes taking (and always have taken) oral iron and all required vitamins daily since WLS in 2006, as an RNYer there is a malabsorptive component to our surgery so despite eating great & taking vitamins some people can still develop a deficiency (iron, B12 and D are the most common it seems.) I was perfect in all areas besides iron. I've always been on the lower scale of normal (a lot of woman in their 20-40's are.) Talk to your Dr. but generally post weight loss surgery just getting nutrients from food is NOT an option, you must take lifelong vitamins and check your labs annually.

Ammie said...

I had two iron infusions last year and also have tiny veins...not fun. Although, my treatments took several hours to complete. It's time to have my labs done again so I'm curious to see how my body has reacted. My hematologist asked me to not take any additional iron (outside of my multi vitamins) this year to see how my body fares. You should start to feel perkier very soon. :)

Denise H. said...

Aw, Shell. That sounds miserable. I'm 5 1/2 years out and I've been getting iron and B-12 shots for a couple of years now. So far I've avoided infusions but anything is possible. I hope this works and you don't have to go through the pokes so much. {HUG}

Kim K. said...

Hi Shelly, Hope these infusions do the trick. Do you notice any increase in your energy level since the infusions? Also, just wanted to say I love your blog. I started reading it last year---your blog was recommended by my surgeon's office. I too love to cook and like you, thought I would have to give it up post op. I was happy to see that I can still enjoy cooking but will just need to make some adaptations. Had my RNY 3/21/14 and am feeling great! Thanks for the inspiration!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you guys. It's definitely better than it was before the infusions but I think it might require another round for sure. Will update :)

Colleen said...

Shelly, I love your blog and subscribed before I even had my by-pass but suddenly (the last couple of weeks) I have stopped getting your posts in my email. Oh sure, I can come here and find you but it is so convenient to get them in my inbox. Any suggestions?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Aww thanks... well bummer hmmm add your email. It's the box on the left down near the bottom of the main page near the Starbucks cup or maybe check your spam folder maybe it's getting scooped up :( Thanks for checking in though. Hope it resolves itself.

Jen said...

I just want to thank you for being such a huge inspiration and for all of your amazing recipes. I am 6 months post op and am 100 pounds from my goal and I really think I can enjoy reaching it so much more sense following your blog and using your wonderful recipes. Thank you again for all that you do :)