Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cucumber Crackers

I don't do bread or crackers by choice post weight loss surgery. White carb foods like those were some of my pre-op demons (along with their frenemies pasta, potatoes, and rice) and though I certainly could eat them (physically) I just don't go there post-op. I know me... one cracker would eventually lead to 4 then perhaps years from now I'd be eating the whole sleeve of them again. They operate on our guts, the head stuff is what we need to work on, forever. Some post-ops will do one or two crackers and call it a day. To them I say... whatever works for you, not having them works for me. It's your life, live it the way you need too. Everyone's journey is their own.

I use sliced cucumbers as my low carb cracker substitute. I smear all sort of things on them...

My Greek Hummus Rounds (Athenos liked the idea and made a nifty recipe card out of it, so I guess it's Yiayia approved and she's one scary lady)

My Bacon & Egg Salad...

Smoked Salmon Salad (Great with Egg Salad, Crab Salad, Chicken Salad too...)

Crab Egg Salad...

Goat cheese or brie...


My High Protein Avocado Dip...

or I make little sandwiches...

and these Ham & Swiss "Sandwiches" which were part of my super cool bento box lunch yesterday...


Pink Box (top left): Ham & Swiss Cucumber "Sandwiches"
Green Box (top right): Spanish Olives
Blue Box (bottom left): Mango
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Lemon Poppy Seed Mini Protein Muffin

You know if suddenly a fairy fell from the sky and said I could eat all the crackers I want without consequence I'd still eat my sliced cucumbers. I mean really it's the yummy stuff you put on your cracker you really want.

post signature

13 comments:

Theresa said...

Yep, can't do just one cracker or chip. Cucumbers are great replacements! Weather using them to hold a spread to replace a cracker or with just a little salt or vinegar to replace the chip demon in me. :)

Judith said...

(Another) Great idea! I think you need to start posting videos, though. I am completely inept in the kitchen but desperate to find something I can eat post-op. I have no idea what "fold dry into wet" means, how to "saute" anything, and I bought the frother you use but the directions didnt help me know what to do with it :) I tried making your ice cream - bought the same ice cream maker and frother and soy milk and protein as you... the first one I tried was the orange creamsicle and it came out chalky and very bad. I was so sad! I thought surely there was no way I could screw this up, it was so simple! It took me a week to work up the nerve to try again, but SOOO glad I did!! THe smores ice cream came out awesome tonight!! I even put it in a cake cone (20 cal, 4 carbs... but worth it once a week unless you can come up with a substitute cone to use??

I figure I cant screw up a cucumber sandwich, so this will be my attempt at lunch tomorrow :) Thank you! So glad you are who you are!

Cece said...

Simply brilliant. As someone who was just banded (7 days), these are just the things I think about: how am I going to replace the almighty cracker. And ta-da ... you have done it (and shared ) so I thank you. Signed, the gal who USED to eat an entire box of cheese-its in a day or so.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful recipes. I know after my surgery in october i'll be able to enjoy food again. Thank you for all the help you give all of us.

frenchforoohlala said...

I'm a huge cucumber fan too. I'm pre-op, and one of my huge problem foods is crackers.

You have such great ideas! I'm going to try that avocado dip the next time I find some good avocados!

Jenni :)

Lana said...

you are truly amazing. I'm so excited to try some of these in the weeks to come (at stage 2 right now). I love viewing your recipes!!! Keep 'em coming. I'm a FAN! :)

Amy said...

I love cucumbers. Thanks for all the ideas.

Amy said...

What tool did you use to cut the cucumbers with in the Avocado Dip picture? Where they look like waffles.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks guys. Hope you enjoy them!

***

Amy: http://amzn.to/oi5bLw it's a crinkle cutter :) love it at the holidays.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I love cucumbers, making sammichs with them I'll definitely do!

Dana

Ramona said...

these chips and avocado dip were a hit at my game night. I was hoping to have some left for lunch today but they cleaned me out. They didn't even realize it was a good for you snack. Thank you. Maybe one day I'll have the pleasure of meeting you. My wls surgery is scheduled for october this year.

Steven said...

I really liked (and needed to hear) about your no crackers or white fiends motto. On a side note, at higher end sushi places you may request your sushi choice to be put on a cucumber slice instead of rice. I love your site and look forwards to your updates!

Anonymous said...

Hi,I have to say you are beautiful,in and out.You put your recipe's and tips here to help other's and that is to be commended.I have alway's dieted and I am currently dieting.Have never been over 175 lbs and am now 160 trying to lose 20 lbs.That is how I wound up on your blog and saw your picture.I love the cucumber idea and intend to use it.Again,you are very pretty and I wish you a slim and healthy life.Thank you!