Sunday, October 18, 2009

Body Warming Breakfast

Another long day yesterday. I'm really looking forward to curling up on the couch watching movies today.

I hit the Farmer's Market in the early AM... scored some Cucumbers, Peppers, Squash, Apples, Pears, Cabbage. I hurried on to finish helping out on the wedding. I was close to the ocean so when I was done with my work related stuff I planned to have a picnic on the beach. Sounds nice huh? Err it was FREEZING. At my house it was sunny & warm (we're in the 80's) at the beach it was like another climate... the marine layer was so thick I literally could barely see the ocean standing 2 feet in front of it. I doubt it got out of the 50's. I was dressed for the weather at my house so brr I'm feeling achy and chilled today.

I needed a body warming breakfast this morning. This fit the bill perfectly...

Shelly's Caramel Apple Oatmeal

1 cup Quick Cook Oatmeal
2 2/3 cups Water
Pinch of Salt
2 Tablespoon No Sugar Added Apple Butter
2 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Caramel - on sale now)
1/3 cup Milk (I use Vanilla Soy Milk)
1/2 teaspoon Butter

No Sugar Added Apple Butter (find near jam/jelly section)
Apple Pie Spice
SF Caramel Sauce

Combine the oatmeal, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the apple butter and SF Caramel Syrup and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the milk and butter. Stir well and cook for 1 minute.

Serve immediately with a teaspoon of NSA Apple Butter, a drizzle of Sugar Free Caramel Sauce (I use Smucker's), dash of Apple Pie Spice and a splash of milk. Makes 2 huge bowls.

I heart Oatmeal. It's like a big hug from Grandma and there is actually science to support that... the complex carbs in oatmeal release serotonin the chemical messenger in the brain that makes you feel good and happy like Grandma hugs. Another bonus... the fiber in it makes me feel full all morning.

Shelly's Oatmeal with Grated Apple
Shelly's PB&J Oatmeal
Shelly's Strawberry Walnut Oatmeal
Shelly's Banana Walnut Oatmeal
Shelly's Blueberry Oat Bars
Shelly's Blueberry Almond Compote
Shelly's Berry Oatmeal
Shelly's Apple Walnut Crumb with Protein Ice Cream

Hope everyone is having a warm weekend. If not in body then at least in heart and soul.


sandi said...

Ok shelly
Again, I hate to cook, so heres an idea you might want to try. I was behind a gal in costco the other day, she was buying several cans of pumpkin and mentioned that she uses it in her oatmeal, along with vanilla soy milk and cinnamon. check it out, let us all sounded great. And ton's of Vitamin A.
thanks again for your daily inspiration....sandi

puppie said...

I love oatmeal. I usually have the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal, because it's loaded with protein, which is what keeps me from dumping on it.

I like mine with raisins and slivered almonds in it. Yum.

~K said...

Hey Eggy,

when could you eat oatmeal? I'd like a grandma hug in a bowl, but am thinking it's probably a bit too soon still. I am celebrating my 1 month surgiversary today! :)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Mmm Sandi sounds yummy and perfect for Fall.


Puppie, Love oatmeal. Raisins, Almonds, all of it :)


K, I had it really early out (first weeks) with vanilla protein mixed in. I made it thin with milk and mixed the protein in the milk first (so no lumps)


Allie (Protein Girl) said...

All warm carby porridges are like a squeeze from grandma! I love that...

I celebrated this weekend with chopped apple/walnut oatbran and bites of my daughter's "chocolate chip cookie" oatmeal. Mmmmmm....

Brittany said...

I'm having a really hard time working up the energy to make myself 3 meals a day. How do you find the time or the energy. Did you always have the passion to want to make 3 meals or was it something u started and had to work on?

Thanks Britt.
3 months post op

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Mmmm Allie that sounds yummy.


Hey Britt, Definitely something I worked up to... but I don't always cook all three meals. I do cooking a lot on the weekend and freeze. Last week it was Sweet Zucchini Pancakes cooked a big batch & froze, took 2 out each morning. I like easy. I'll write up a few of my easy quick go-to things sometime this week for ya.


Takisha Coley said...

your website is a godsend. It has been 3 years since I had surgery...July 6 2006....I lost 160 and gained back 35 because I reunited myself with carbs...Thank you so much for your website. Now I can get back on track and lose this 110 pounds...

robin dudley-howes said...

Hi Shelly

I love all your recipes. The sugar free products that you use seem to have some scary ingrediants (like aspartame). You may already know this but I was told by a nutritionist to try blue agave nectar. It's a natural sweetener, has a low glycemic index and is gluten free. It now comes in flavors (purchase online)and can also be purchased at Trader Joes. Its very subtle in taste and I use it to sweeten my coffee along with a splash of vanilla or almond extract. Thanks for all your delicious recipes. I did not have the surgery but as I approach 48 the lbs keep coming on and I love food and just don't want to go on a "diet" for the millionth time in my life. I need to make food that my family will eat too, and I think your approach to making food tasty and healthy is great for anyone wanting to loose or keep off the lbs. I also like the fact that you use real eggs, butter and cheese. Denying too much of the good stuff sets me and so many others on a path of bingeing. thanks again!