Sunday, October 7, 2007

Best. Breakfast. Ever.

This is a warm and wonderful breakfast for chilly mornings. The grated apple is the magic. I put a drizzle of SF maple syrup on top. Yum. It's like a warm Grandma hug.

Shelly's Oatmeal with Grated Apple

1 cup oatmeal (McCann's Steel Cut Quick Cook Irish Oatmeal accept no substitute)
2 1/3 cups water
Pinch of salt
1 medium apple, coarsely grated
1/3 cup milk (I use vanilla soy milk)
1/2 teaspoon butter

Combine the oatmeal, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the grated apple and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the milk and butter. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Serve immediately with a drizzle of SF maple syrup and little more milk. I use Cary's Sugar Free Maple Syrup.

Oatmeal is one of the world's healthiest foods.


I had a headache today and this totally hit the spot.

6 comments:

Flying Sarah said...

My head is still in Ohio, while my body is in FL...I was thinking about getting some oatmeal to make for breakfast now that it's fall. BTW...my hoodie is just like your red one...

Michelle said...

Get this one. Sooooo good. Dr. Oz loves steel cut oatmeal too.

I love that sweater. Hope it still fits when the eggs are sunny side up again.

Emily said...

Hmmm....the grated apple sounds awesome. Is oatmeal very protein-y? Or would it be better as a breakfast further down the road post-op? But I've never had McCann's....I'll have to try it, b/c Quakers is okay but nothing special.

Michelle said...

Hey Emily, The milk adds a bit of protein and you can always add some unflavored or vanilla protein powder I did that in the beginning. Time wise it will depend on your nutritional plan. I'm allowed whole grains but I really limit them.

Oh yeah get a hold of McCann's it's great!

Here's some more info about steel cut oats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-cut_oats

GypsysDragonfly said...

Wish I read this before having a scrambled egg for breakfast. Adding the apple sounds very good.

Kanga said...

Made this for the first time this morning! OMG!! SOOOO yummy! Thank you for sharing your recipes with the world, Shelly! <3