Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Farmer's Market

If you've read my blog for awhile you know my Saturday morning routine. After several cups of coffee it's off to the Farmer's Market to pick up fresh fruit and veggies for the week. I love the atmosphere and everything is super picked that morning fresh.

Some pics from my Farmer's Market...


If the pictures didn't sell you on seeking out a Farmer's Market in your area. Here's a few more reasons you should:

Freshness
Flavor
Variety
Availability of produce not often found in supermarkets (many organic and some heirloom varieties)
Supporting Local Farmers
Smaller Carbon Footprint
Fun Atmosphere
Get some walking in

**Bonus: at most stalls you get to try before you buy. For a post-op Gastric Bypass patient this means: Free Lunch. I'm such a cheap date ;)

I go especially because unlike fruits and veggies from the supermarket the ones from the Farmer's Market actually TASTE. So worth getting up early on a Saturday for.

Type your zip code in at this site for a list of Farmer's Markets (and CSA's) near you.

Today's haul... Onions, Garlic, Kale, Cucumbers, Summer Squash & Zucchini, Corn, Peaches, Plums, Nectarines, Apples, Pears, Watermelon, Grapes, Strawberries.

My Farmer's Market: The Old Town Temecula Certified Farmers’ Market
Saturdays 8 AM - 12:30 PM
6th St. & Front St.
Old Town Temecula

9 comments:

Christina said...

I absolutely adore the farmer's market, and my week just isn't the same when I can't get there. Almost every week I buy lamb, amazing onions, Jersey blueberries, fresh mozzarella and the sweetest Jersey corn you can imagine. Last week I got heirloom cherry tomatoes and scallions to use in a pasta salad that I took to a church potluck, and everyone raved about them.

TeacherMom said...

Shelly - I am so glad I found your blog. I am seven weeks post-op and you spoke for me when you said that you were afraid that you would never get to enjoy cooking or food - I am so glad you found a way! I am a fervent foodie and cook and am inspired by your recipes and posts. I have tried several things so far, and look forward to many more. Kudos - love you, girl!!

Lynne said...

I've tried typing in my zipcode to find a Farmers Market near here, and the only ones listed are more like craft markets than Farmers Markets. You'd think in this area (SE Texas) there would be plenty of them, but NO.

Lynne

Diane said...

What a great haul! I envy the variety you always seem to have. I was able to get some yummy tomatoes...heirloom, corn and cucs. The zucchini are done for the season (so it seems). Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, but it looks like we may go to the same Farmer's Market. It sure looks like my town's Old Town. :)

I love your blog.

Stokedone said...

I love our farmer's market in Temecula especially the older couple that run the honey stand, she's fiesty but taught my wife and I so much about the variety of honey that we would have never known. Plus fresh flowers that are cheaper and so much better than anywhere else.
My wife and I are try to get our own booth for our art and jewlery. We'll see if it happens. It's such a great atmosphere and helps local real persons not biguncsring conglomerates

Anne H said...

When I come to visit Temecula, can we meet up and have coffee? I would love to meet another fellow blogger!
Thanks, Anne H
carb.tripper@gmail.com

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Stokedone, Did you ever get a booth. I'd love to say hi!

***

Anne, Absolutely, whenever you are in town let me know socalshell@aol.com

Amy Cardenas said...

I love our little Farmer's Market! I always go to get that garlic spread and the almond "hummus"! The people are all so great!!! Just wish parking in Old Town was easier! Hehe! :D