Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Strawberry Oatmeal & Big Scary Guns

Good Morning.

So my pal Jeremy came over last night and teased me about my current chocolate cake for breakfast obsession. I guess he's right I tend to obsess a bit and make 15 versions of something I love (remember my "Bites" phase.)

So this morning for breakfast I made a Strawberry version of my Best Breakfast Ever...

Shelly's Strawberry Walnut Oatmeal

1 cup Oatmeal (McCann's Steel Cut Quick Cook Irish Oatmeal accept no substitute)
2 1/3 cups Water
Pinch of Salt
1 cup Fresh Strawberries, chopped
1/3 cup Milk (I use vanilla soy milk)
1/2 teaspoon Butter

1 Tablespoon Walnuts, chopped
SF Maple Syrup
a few more Strawberries
a splash of Soy Milk

Combine the oatmeal, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the strawberries and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the milk and butter. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Serve immediately with some more strawberries, chopped walnuts, a drizzle of SF maple syrup and little more milk. I use Cary's Sugar Free Maple Syrup.

Highlights of the day:

* Last night... a delivery of Starbuck's totally hit the spot. Thanks Jeremy. You rock!

* I'm thinking of taking shooting lessons. I have always wanted to learn and I'm seriously gonna do it. Sooooo I'm going to be packing heat ;)

* Not sure how many highlights I will have today I have so much to do and it doesn't seem like enough hours to do it. Here's a highlight... I am gonna stick a pedicure in my day somewhere because I need sexy toes.

Listening to: "Always be my baby" David Cook - the lyrics to this song are a little stalkery if you really think about it. Doesn't pack the same punch when Mariah sings it but a guy... "Girl don't you know you can't escape me..." Ummm scary. He is awfully cute though.


Debbie Y. said...

If you were down here at my house with my hubby you would already know how to shoot. We love to target practice and shoot skeet all the time. It is a fun hobby, but if I had to really use a gun on a robber coming in my house, that would be scary. I think I could do it, but it would be scary nonetheless.

Jessica McKean said...

Dave and I have about 6 or 7 rifles. We go up to the range every once in a while. It is a lot of fun! Next time we go, I'll let you know. I was thinking of taking my assistants up there for a day of fun.

Blueberry Muffin Queen (Jenn) said...

Oh my! Those bites look amazing! I'm gonna have to get to making those. And luckily I can make them in my cute little silicone heart shaped muffin pan.


My Husband is a gun enthusiast so naturally I had to learn. I have some weird thing where I'm ambidextrous so even though I write with my right hand I have to shoot with the left. It was weird.

Enjoy. I'm not a good shot but I've only had very little practice. I should take the course one of these days. :D

penneynurse said...

how many servings does that oatmeal come out to? It sounds like a lot...but it sure looks good. I'll have to look for the steel cut oats. What is the difference?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey debbie, Yeah I just want to know I can use one and safely. I've shot them a few times but I want to get really good at it.

Jessica, Let me know.

Jenn - Omg how cute would that be!

Penney - It was 2 big bowls... my Mum and I were stuffed and left a little. If a boy was eating it though... you know how they eat.

Donna said...

Okay, clearly my begging got lost among all the people who want a free ice cream maker. How come y'all aren't coming to Houston? Can I petition? :)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Donna LOL well I'm not sure it will do anything for this time but maybe next year?


TY for wanting us!

Kathy said...

This is off the oatmeal thing but it made me think of breakfast..sooo here goes. I've seen the cottage cheese pancake recipe...can you actually taste it in the pancakes? I hate that stuff and it gags me, so I've been wondering about it. I'm craving pancakes SO badly..just plain ole pancakes and want to make some. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly, I just went through the handgun saftey course. I am not to far from you and use the shooting range in Laguna Niguel. Although I decided to do this for protection, to my suprise, I really enjoy shooting! My handgun instructor says I am "scary good", he wasn't expecting an old lady to shoot so well. Guns are so unlike me and my daughter gets a kick out of it. She teases me when I am not available for her phone calls(as I was for her and everyone else pre wls)..."hey Ma, are you at the gym or the shooting range(lol)?". Yes, my life is very different since wls & I love it! Anyway, It would be fun to meet at the Oeanside range sometime. we can "buddy" up for target practice. Because we live so close, I thought we might meet & bond over protein ice cream someday...but firearms sound like more fun! Have a great weekend in LA, wish I could attend but I have guests from out of town. Take care, Jo

Diane said...

I had the SAME thing for breakfast....minus all of the goodies you added. I added some margarine and s.f. maple syrup. Yummy! As for the shooting lessons....very cool! You go girl!

Fat Catholic Girl said...

These look GREAT!

Br!tt said...

Um, YUM!!! OMG your recipes are AWESOME! :D Can't wait to try these out...