Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Cooking experiment

Remember my Moussaka recipe from a couple of weeks ago well I used the topping from that and the base from my Shepherd's Pie recipe (usually topped with heaps of mashed potatoes) and combined them to make a potato-less Shepherd's Pie for dinner the other night. You could certainly do a mashed potato top (maybe not heaps) but I like the added protein from the cheeses and egg. I served it with green peas.

Here's the recipe and FP:

Shelly's Shepherd's Pie (without potatoes)

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 pound Ground Beef
1 Large Carrot, grated
1/2 teaspoon Thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh Parsley
1 clove Garlic, minced
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce

1 large Egg
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Flour (I use Spelt)
1 cup Milk
4 ounces Cream Cheese
1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Heat oil in skillet and saute onion till golden. Remove and set aside. Saute ground beef and cook till no pink is seen. Drain any fats. Add onions back, grated carrot, thyme, garlic, parsley, S&P and soy sauce. Cook for 1 minute. Pour into casserole dish.

In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg and set aside. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking often, until the mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook until thickened. Lower the heat to low and stir in the cream cheese and ricotta. Salt and pepper to taste. Whisk a spoon of the cheese sauce into the reserved eggs until smooth. Whisk the egg mixture into the cheese sauce in the saucepan.

Pour the sauce over the meat in the baking dish. Bake until the top is lightly browned. 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting.


Lisa said...

OK, I've been lurking for a while, but this recipe made me come out of hiding. Thanks for posting this-I can't wait to try it!

Michelle said...

Well I'm glad ;) Welcome Lisa. I hope you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

HI ,




Michelle said...

Hey Newbie, Thanks for reading. Watch for an upcoming blog entry on that. I've been putting a few ideas and recipes together... I'll be sure to add some pureed and soft options.


Scott O'Neal said...

Hey Michelle,

Thanks for all the recipes, support, and help over at the OH site. I have not had surgery yet...but your recipes have really showed me how to cook and eat healthy! In fact Last year at this time I weighed 362, and right now I am at 291. the big difference...eating healthier thanks to you! I have been sharing your recipes and blog with everyone here in Tennessee, I hope thats OK? Have a great week! Oh yeah, today we made the Shepherds Pie as well as the Mexican Lasagna! Yummy! Scott

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you liked them Scott and Congrats on the weight loss!!! That is awesome.

Thank you for the shoutout in Tennessee. I appreciate it.

maddie-kylie said...

Have you ever thought about writing a cookbook for people who have had wls? I made this last night and it was delicious!!! I love the idea of using ricotta cheese in place of the mashed potatoes, I didn't miss them a bit. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Michelle said...


So glad you enjoyed it! I know it huh so much better than mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the encouraging and sweet comments.

Joeknee said...

This was VERY good. I'm already thinking of variation (add parmesean to the topping and use chicken on the bottom - alfredo casserole?)
Anyway, thanks for all the yummy recipes. I'm a big fan.

lhowell3 said...

Thank you sooo much!! You have been such an inspiration. I've been reading your blog since before my surgery (I had RNY 3/3/09) and have tried a handfull of recipes, and never posted. You ROCK!!! Everything has been so great, and thank you again! We tried this recipe last night and it was awesome!!! :-)

Its so great to be able to see someone else's progress and you help me stay on track! Since march, weighing in at 270 I have already hit my weight loss goal and percentage of weight loss is 100% (so now its just trying to maintain!) and all in just 10 months!! I am now a size 4 (who would have ever thought!!) and weighing in now at 133. I am so happy now! What a life changing experience this journey has been. I now feel like I can go on living my life - really living, and keep up with everyone my age (I'm 25) and not be all out of breath!

Thank you again so much for all the hard work you do with posting your experiences! I know myself as well as others greatly enjoy getting new ideas and great info all the time! Your AWESOME!!

Robin said...

Hi Shelly!

This recipe looks fantastic. I'm having a sleeve gastrectomy in a few months and adjusting my diet now. I'll be following your blog now.