Rain


It rained today!!! It was awesome. A few hours of a nice steady drizzle. We haven't had measurable rain in months so this was an exciting day. This winter's total rainfall was 3.75" yes that's total, the whole winter. So when it rains in Southern California it's a big deal. The news will break into regular programming with "STORM WATCH 2007" banners, special dramatic music will play and 4 reporters positioned all over town will be covering the rain event. The news helicopter will hover over rainy areas to show us the drops on the windshield. It's so overkill. It's hilarious.

So what did I do on this unusual super terrific rainy day?

I made a pot of Ceylon Tea and watched the rain till it stopped. The thunder booms freak out my kitties and so I hung out with them too. They probably aren't freaked out at all I actually think it's a ploy for treats. Attention Kitty Owners: seek out Whiskas Temptations Cat Treats in Savory Salmon Flavor. My cats literally attack me for them.

I took the leftovers from last night's dinner and made an omelette. I only really eat breakfast on the weekends. Most days I do a protein shake and a cheesestick. It's quick and easy when I'm on the run. Last night I made my Chicken Sausage Stir Fry. I used a Spinach, Fontina, & Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage (20 g. of protein per link) this time. These were equally as yummy as the Mushroom Asiago ones I tried last week. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby seek these out. The leftovers made a great breakfast.

After breakfast I hung out on OH for awhile. A lot of people are having a difficult weekend. Please join me in sending some prayers to all those needing them.

In honor of the weather I made a Fall-ish dinner Roast Chicken and a Veggie Casserole. I know I have said this before but make this Roast Chicken because seriously it rocks! It's so moist... it's like butta.




Shelly's Veggie Casserole

3 cups frozen Mixed Veggies (I used broccoli, cauliflower, carrots), steamed
1 can Cream of Celery Soup
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper
10 Ritz Crackers, crushed
1 Tablespoon of Butter, melted

Steam veggies till 1/2 done. Mix soup, sour cream, broth, cheese, and seasonings together and pour over veggies. Mix to combine. Pour into a buttered casserole and sprinkle crushed crackers and melted butter. Bake for 30 minutes at 425 (same as Chicken).


Highlights of the day:

* The rain was just enough to wash the skylights off and make everything smell fresh and wonderful.

* The smell of thyme and garlic in the house is so Fall.

* I read something today that has given me some direction in crap that has been on my mind lately. Not what I wanted to hear but maybe what I need to hear.


Listening to: "Just like Heaven" The Cure