Cooking experiments

Yesterday I made my Summer Squash Casserole with zucchini versus summer squash. I served it with Turkey Meatballs in Marinara. Verdict: Tasty but I think I prefer the sweetness of yellow squash in the dish. I think next time I will try a combo of both. BTW if these Turkey Meatballs aren't a part of your post WLS menu yet you must get some. 3 mini meatballs 18 grams of protein.


Tonight it was Chicken Paprikash and Cabbage. Chicken Paprikash is a classic Hungarian dish traditionally served over egg noodles but since I don't do pasta (by choice) I served mine with cabbage.



Shelly's Chicken Paprikash

4 skinless, boneless Chicken Breasts
1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, sliced
1 1/2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Sweet Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoon Flour
1 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
2/3 cup Sour Cream

Cut chicken into 1" pieces. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and pan-fry until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Using the same skillet, cook onion in butter until brown. Season with paprika and salt. Sprinkle in flour. Cook for one minute. Pour chicken stock into the pan and tomato paste bring all to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Place chicken and sour cream in skillet; simmer until chicken is heated through and sauce has thickened.

Serve over egg noodles or cabbage.