Who needs pasta? Grilled Veggie Lasagna

Just for the record I dedicate half my ass to pasta and the other half to bread.

Pre-op it was not uncommon for me to buy a loaf of crusty bread and break off hunks of it in the car till I got home and realized that more than half the loaf was gone. Pasta was the same I easily consumed several cups in one sitting. Pasta salads, manicotti, ravioli, you name it. I'm 1/2 Sicilian it's in my genes to be a pasta addict I used to say. Unfortunately my jeans were size 26/28 and barely fit. I told myself after surgery as hard as it would be both of those items needed to be out of my life. Not because they are bad. No food is bad. (OK well there isn't much redeeming value in HoHo's) It's because I was bad around them. I couldn't control myself. The wonderful thing is it truly hasn't been that hard without them.

In the weeks before surgery I ate many, many last suppers. 8 added pounds of last suppers to be exact. I have to say looking back now I laugh because I have been able to replicate the flavor profiles of most of the dishes I loved and thought I would never be able to have again. You know what? I wouldn't trade these adapted versions for the traditional. Who needs pasta? I don't. Tonight's dinner is a prime example. I made a Grilled Veggie Lasagna.

I grilled summer squash and zucchini which acted as my "noodles" then used all the typical lasagna ingredients: ground beef, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella.

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric RNY Gastric Bypass Sleeve VSG WLS Healthy Italian Food Recipes


Here's the recipe. I hope you try it.

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric RNY Gastric Bypass Sleeve VSG WLS Healthy Italian Food Recipes
Shelly's Grilled Veggie Lasagna

1 Yellow Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 pound ground beef (could also use ground turkey)
1 cup Marinara Sauce
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon Parsley, Chopped
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1 cup Shredded Italian Blend Cheese (Mozzarella, Parmesan, etc.)
4 Zucchini, Summer Squash, sliced lengthwise and grilled

Slice the Zucchini and Summer Squash lengthwise and grill on the BBQ. Set aside.

Brown onion. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minutes. Add ground beef. Cook till meat is no longer pink. Add marinara. Warm through. Set aside.

Mix ricotta, 1 egg, parsley, and Italian seasoning together. Set aside.

Spoon 1/2 of meat mixture into casserole dish. Layer 1/2 zucchini and squash. Spoon 1/2 Ricotta mixture on top. Sprinkle 1/2 the Italian Blend Cheese. Repeat. Bake for 55 minutes at 350 degrees.


Looking for another adapted Italian Food fix? Try my Pesto Chicken and Veggies.