Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

For new readers of my blog, every week or so I do a post I call "A day in my pouch," AKA how I eat post weight loss surgery, it's meant to be a window into my world, maybe give you a few new ideas, remember however that Dr's post op eating plans vary: you should always follow your medical posse's recommendations.

If you see a recipe or idea on my blog (or anywhere) and you are not sure whether it is allowed on your program my standard reply is: When in doubt, print it out and bring it to your next appointment to get the thumbs up. I can say that I am honored to be on the recommended reading list of several bariatric programs, referenced by many surgeons and nutritionists, and included in many bariatric program web sites, newsletters, magazines and books as a patient resource.

So here we go this was my yesterday in post weight loss surgery eating...

Breakfast: Split a quesadilla with my Mum before we head out to the Farmer's Market.

Shelly's Mexican Breakfast Quesdilla

2 Eggs, beaten
1 Green Onion, chopped
a few sprigs fresh Cilantro, chopped
1 Cheese Stick, chopped
1 Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Size Tortilla
Optional: Salsa, Greek Yogurt for topping

Saute green onion for a minute or so. Add beaten egg and scramble till almost done. Lightly butter tortilla or spray pan with Pam. Place in pan (buttered side down.) Spoon scrambled egg mixture on top. Top with cheese and cilantro. Fold over and cook on both sides till golden. Top with salsa and/or Greek yogurt.

Lunch: Came home dropped of my market goodies (squash, basil, peaches, strawberries, onions, garlic), packed my super cool bento box and went to the beach, well we had some errands near the beach and I thought it would be nice to take a little break during them and eat lunch staring at this awesome view...

The eats...

Pink Box (top left): Mango
Green Box (top right): Green Grapes
Blue Box (bottom left): Mini Brie and Cucumber Slices (I spread the brie on these) and a few cherry tomatoes from my garden
Orange Box (bottom right): Hard Boiled Egg with Salt & Pepper packets

We head back toward my neck of the woods, had a few stops to pick up stuff for the upcoming Southern California Meet & Greet July 30th. Are you a local weight loss surgery pre-op or post-op? Here's the 411 on the get-together. Hope you can come! I'm so excited to see everyone. The goodie bags are coming together. Thanks to all the companies donating product. The UPS man and I have little thing going on ;) he visits me every day. We have several AWESOME giveaways too. I'll be sure to post oodles of pictures for those not able to come.

Dinner: I planned to pick up a lettuce-wrapped, no bun burger at In & Out Burger (FYI: most restaurants and fast food joints will do this for you upon request) but I was wiped and so I came home and made one of my super quick & easy stand-by dinners: Shelly's Quickie Meatball Bake. I was so tired I forgot to snap a picture but this is what it looks like and how to make it:

I started to watch the coverage of Prince William and Kate's royal visit (they are here this week in Southern California) and woke up to an Ab Circle infomercial. I guess I was tired.

Snacks: Oodles of coffee including a Sugar Free Cinnamon Dolce Soy Latte, No Whip from Starbucks.

FAQ's:

Q: Do you eat everything pictured? A: Sometimes, most of the time no. I'm no longer a member of the clean your plate club. Ask your Dr. or nutritionist for a guideline as to how much you should be eating at your post-op stage.

Q: What is the nutritional value of (insert Eggface recipe)? A: Though I figure out the nutritional value on most of my recipes I don't put the nutritional info on the blog because frankly that can vary so widely. I use full fat cheeses (the good stuff) others may use low fat or (horror) non fat, the % fat on beef, turkey, differences in packaged products, brands of protein, etc. will change the info dramatically. Also serving size will vary depending how far from surgery you are.

When I need to find the nutrition info (on my recipes or any other) is go to a site like fitday.com (nutritiondata, sparkpeople, etc.) type in each individual ingredient, this will give you cals, carbs, fats, protein gram totals, then divide those totals by the # of servings you get from the dish. It's not exact but it's close enough for me.

Q: What do you do with all your leftovers? A: LOL I get this one a lot. Here's a few examples of how my leftovers get repurposed:

Repurposing
Repurposing Revisited
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 1
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 2
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 3
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 4

and 2 GREAT ways to use up leftovers are to turn them into a Tortilla Pizza or my Bites.

More Eggface A day in my pouch posts

Hope everyone is having a GREAT weekend!