Lotsa Love for Leftovers 3

Repurposing: Transforming leftovers into something equally as yummy. The goal is for them to taste and look so completely different you don't realize you are having leftovers. Here's the latest example of my repurposing...

I had a Gift Certificate to Chili's. My original order was Baby Back Ribs which came with two sides. I chose Corn on the Cob (OK on my plan) and Seasonal Veggies (aka steamed broccoli and some shreds of carrot.) I ate a couple of ribs and the corn and boxed up the rest.

Here's what came home as leftovers...

A few of the ribs were turned into a super yummy Tortilla Pizza the next day for lunch

Shelly's BBQ Pork Tortilla Pizza - Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Size Tortilla, 1 Tablespoon of Leftover BBQ Sauce, Leftover BBQ Rib Meat, Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese, and a sprinkle of Southwest Seasonings. Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray (or a drop of olive oil.) Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

More Eggface Tortilla Pizzas

and the leftover broccoli I turned into these delicious fritters and served them with the remaining ribs (which I microwave steamed in this groovy gadget to reheat, keeps moisture) for dinner.

Shelly's Broccoli Fritters

1 cup Leftover Cooked Broccoli* chopped
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasonings
a few twists of Black Pepper

Coarsely chop broccoli. *Any leftover vegetable medley would work cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, even green beans. If you have issues with broccoli you can whiz it in a mini food processor so it's finer. I just snipped it with kitchen shears. Add remaining ingredients. Mix till combined.

Using an ice cream scoop or a 1/4 cup measure form into patties. Slightly press down. Place in a non-stick pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Cook on low to medium heat till browned on one side about 5 minutes. Flip, pat down slightly and cook till browned on other side about 5 minutes. Serve with Shelly's Garlicky Yogurt Dip.

Shelly's Garlicky Yogurt Dip

3 oz. Greek Yogurt (I used 2% Fage Plain)
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
Kosher Salt to taste
a few twists of Black Pepper

Mix till well combined. Can be refrigerated a couple of days. Great as a dip for meats and veggies.


So my one restaurant dinner ended up becoming three meals. To think prior to having weight loss surgery and changing my lifestyle I would have eaten appetizers, my entire dinner order, several drinks, and dessert. I'm such a cheap date ;)

Lotsa Love for Leftovers 1
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 2

More Strategies for Eating Out After Weight Loss Surgery