Friday, February 11, 2011

Cool Product Alert: Mini Brie

Spotted the coolest thing at Trader Joe's. Perfectly portioned mini brie cheese wheels. Aren't they just the cutest thing ever?! Absolutely perfect for us weight loss surgery post-ops. I know some of you need to do the reduced fat/non-fat thing when it comes to cheese, my condolences ;) but for those of you who like me, eat the real deal full fat cheese. These are perfect.

My thoughts on full fat... I eat full fat (cheese, mayo, butter, olive oil, etc.) Fat = flavor. I eat it in moderation (thanks to my surgically altered guts) if I ate Reduced Fat or Fat Free (aka nuclear waste) I wouldn't be satisfied and in an hour I'd be thinking about my next meal. I eat yummy, lip smacking stuff so I never feel like I'm on a diet or suffering in my new life. This new lifestyle is about making changes that you can live with FOREVER not just get through. There is no finish line, the day after you reach your goal weight, you wake up to more of the same. So to be a long term success IMHO you need to love your new life, not suffer through it.

That being said, this is my journey. Always follow your medical posse's advice.

OK back to the cheese...

Trader Jacques Mini Brie Bites Soft Ripened Cheese
Made from Cow's milk from cows not treated with rBST

$3.99 for a bag of 5 mini wheels, individually sealed .09 oz servings.

Nutritional Information:
Calories 70
Fat 6 g.
Carbs 1 g.
Sugars 1 g.
Protein 4 g.

Verdict: Yum! These little suckers are delicious. A few minutes at room temperature and they are oozy and gooey like the big boy brie wheels. I love them because you can take out one at a time as needed, with a big wheel once its cut it needs to be used quickly. These last for months unopened in the refrigerator (bought these the other day, expiration date is September.) They are the perfect size for us and so darn cute!

I ate mine for dinner outside under the electric stars from my super cool bento box. I smeared it on cucumber slices and ate it with a turkey cold cut roll-up and a little apple compote. The perfect combination. They would be great smeared on apple or pear slices too.

Pink Box (top left): Sliced Cucumber
Green Box (top right): Shelly's Apple Compote
Blue Box (bottom left): Turkey Cold Cut Roll-up
Orange Box (bottom right): Trader Joe's Mini Brie

post signature

P.S. Hope everyone has a great Valentine's Day (aka Singles Awareness Day) I'm celebrating with a batch of Strawberry Cannoli.

BIG ❤ puffy heart love to all my pals. You'll want to check out the blog this weekend ;) Something fun begins!

20 comments:

Nella said...

Very cool!
Wish we had a trader joe's!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! Prob one of the coolest products ever...gotta get to Philly to Trader Joe's! May ask my local Wegman's to get it in stop or is it a Joe's exclusive?

Thanks!
Ann

Jenn said...

Shelly,

First, I love, love this site. A wealth of knowledge. Just celebrated my 1 year on 2/3, and I am down 125. What a feeling! I digress...Ok, so when you show us pics of your Bento box, is that just your lunch, or is that your lunch and snacks? Just curious. Somedays I pack too much food, and then somedays I am still feeling hunger when I am done. Your boxes have helped me with this, but I wanted to check on your strategy. Thanks for your blog!

Marrilee said...

I must have this! Going to have to go to TJ's this weekend!!

Ange Gos said...

I like almonds and dried cranberries with my brie and these would be perfect. I'd only use half, plus almonds and cranberries. Off to Trader Joe's.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Ann, I believe it's a Trader Joe's exclusive but another similar product you may want to look for is called Wee Brie made by Président (comes in a wheel of triangles like Laughing Cow)

***

Jenn, Usually a meal & a snack if I'm going out for the day work, beach, park... if I'm just taking it outside it's a meal. Sometimes I load them up just in case I'm longer than I think I will be so I'm armed against poor choices.

***

Hope you guys enjoy them!

Pouch Party said...

That is just too cute! I have to go to TJ's this weekend too so I am gonna pick those up!

Leslie said...

I haven't tried the brie cheese wheels but I have had the mini goat cheese medallions and they are DELISH!

Connie said...

I'm so psyched because we finally got a Trader Joe's in Maine. Granted, it's 1 1/2 hours away, but that's doable.

Connie

VR Richard said...

OMG! It IS perfect. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

A little sugar free honey and sliced almonds--yummers. Too darn cute!! I'm off to TJ's this weekend--whoop, whoop! Thanks for sharing!!

suzy said...

Thank you for everything you share! I have found so many great receipes and suggestions in such a short time.

suzy.vogt@comcast.net

Di said...

Holy Camoly! And I was just at TJ's. Although it WAS the Friday before Super bowl and it WAS overly crowded. Do you cook your brie? I usually, for parties, do a brie en croute (sp?) with puff pastry, s.f apricot preserves and toasted walnuts.

Anonymous said...

I found 2 bags at TJ's yesterday. Made them both mine! They said they can hardly keep them in stock. It's what's for lunch today with leftovers. YUM!

geokatgirl said...

We have them in Canada under the brand Coeur de Lion (mini) 25g little ones.. i believe this brand can be found in the UK as well.

red and yellow label. I LOVE them. You can make a mini-app with them in the microwave. Some pecans, a little suagr free honey, drizzle it over the brie, heat and them it all melts together.

It is a good time !! enjoy !

Cherie said...

Where did you get your containers?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Cherie, The bento box is from amazon.com (ads on the left)

Gastric Bypass Chick said...

You know Starbucks sells those with apple slices, almonds and a few other cheeses. It is really good too and has 19 grams of protein.

Anonymous said...

I found these yesterday. They are so good! Today my boy found them so they are all gone. I'll buy more next time.
Thanks,
Deb T.

Sip the Diva said...

Very cool I love the suggestions! I am about 11 weeks out and I am always trying to find snack and lunch selections the bento box ideas are perfect.. Although what you have inside would be two meals for me right now still perfect!