Sunday, July 3, 2011

Lotsa Love for Leftovers 4

Post weight loss surgery when you eat out in a restaurant it's a given there will be a lot of leftovers or waste. I hate wasting food. Sometimes I have no choice if I'm headed to a movie or I'm too far from home but if I'm heading home right after a meal you better be sure the leftovers are coming home. Those leftovers can be "repurposed" and transformed into a bunch of great meals.

Repurposing: Transforming leftovers into something equally as yummy. The goal is for them to taste & look so completely different you don't realize you are having leftovers.

Here's how I turned 1 restaurant meal into 7...

Friday I wasn't in the mood to cook (really I am always in the mood to cook it's the clean-up I hate) so I used a birthday gift card to Red Lobster. My order was the Build Your Own Meal. I chose Shrimp Scampi and Grilled Shrimp Skewer and Broccoli as the side dish. It comes with a Garden Salad (I ask for no croutons and dressing on the side) It also comes with those Cheddar Bay Biscuits. I used to devour those by the basketful pre-op, in fact, I dare say 1/4 of my pre-op ass could be attributed to my love of those suckers. Those I push aside, they are not an option for me (my choice.) My Mum who has the metabolism of a 14-year-old boy eats them or takes them home. If I'm alone they never come to the table.

I know my capacity pretty well now so I remove and box 1/2 my dinner and all of the broccoli (it's never cooked enough) right away. I ask for a box when I order, they look at you weird but I just say, "I'm not terribly hungry and I know I will need a box so can you just bring it with the food."

I ate my salad, some shrimp scampi and a few grilled shrimp and I was happy as a clam (Meal 1)

This is what came home...

1/2 the shrimp were transformed into lunch for my Mum and I the next day (Meal 2 & 3)

Shelly's Leftover Shrimp & Black Bean Lettuce Tacos

6 (or so) Leftover Cooked, Chilled Shrimp, diced
1 (15 oz.) can Black Beans, rinsed & drained
1 Avocado, diced
1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved (just picked from my garden)
2 Tablespoon fresh Cilantro, chopped
juice of 1/2 a Lime
dash of Garlic Powder
Kosher Salt to taste
a few twists of Black Pepper

Mix all ingredients together till well combined.

Spoon into lettuce leaves (iceberg, Boston or butter lettuce works best) serve with a dollop of Shelly's Cilantro Yogurt Dip.

They were yummy.

I took the remaining shrimp and turned them into dinner (Meal 4 & 5), they became 2 tortilla pizzas.

Shelly's Leftover Shrimp & Pesto Tortilla Pizza - Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Size Tortilla, Leftover Shrimp, teaspoon of Storebought Pesto Sauce, Green Onion, fresh Mozzarella, fresh Tomato, sprinkle of Parmesan and Italian Seasoning. Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray (or a drop of olive oil.) Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

More Eggface Tortilla Pizzas

Delish.

Today the leftover broccoli turned into my Broccoli Fritters for lunch (Meal 6 & 7) with Shelly's Garlicky Yogurt Dip. Love these...

Shelly's Broccoli Fritters

1 cup Leftover Cooked Broccoli* chopped
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasonings
a few twists of Black Pepper

Coarsely chop broccoli. *Any leftover vegetable medley would work cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, even green beans. If you have issues with broccoli you can whiz it in a mini food processor so it's finer. I just snipped it with kitchen shears. Add remaining ingredients. Mix till combined.

Using an ice cream scoop or a 1/4 cup measure form into patties. Slightly press down. Place in a non-stick pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Cook on low to medium heat till browned on one side about 5 minutes. Flip, pat down slightly and cook till browned on other side about 5 minutes. Serve with Shelly's Garlicky Yogurt Dip.

There you have it, how 1 post weight loss surgery meal became 7. Before weight loss surgery I would have eaten my entire meal (no leftovers), biscuits (refilled twice, at least), an appetizer, several glasses of lemonade, and gone out for dessert after. Forever thankful for weight loss surgery for helping me change that.

So the next time you are at a restaurant bring home those leftovers and repurpose them.

More ideas for repurposing restaurant leftovers

Lotsa Love for Leftovers 1
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 2
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 3

More Strategies for Eating Out After Weight Loss Surgery

post signature

15 comments:

Sheila said...

I am always forever grateful for your blog and your wonderful recipes and photos, but the repurposing was something that I was not good at before. I just love all of your ideas, and am so thankful that you share them with us. I can't believe I used to eat an entire restuarant meal with bread and dessert too. We are blessed to have a tool to help us combat that!

Anonymous said...

You are certainly creative!!! I have no problem with leftovers. I NEVER used to like them but now post surgery I have NO problem with leftovers. I Love eating out and then eating the same meal at least 2 more times sometimes 3. Your ideas give me ideas too!! Thanks for all you do!!
Toby
idigforyou@aol.com

The Vanishing Mom said...

I love you for posts like these. I bookmark them and add them to my collection of wisdom for post-surgery info. Thank you soo much for sharing!

Heather said...

I always keep one of those bags in my car that keep food hot/cold for several hours, so you could put your leftovers in the bag and not worry about them spoiling. Just a thought. :)

Lana said...

Oh I love these ideas!!! I never would have come up with the pancake mix and egg!!! BEST ever! I have some eggplant and am going to try that! YUMMY. (surgery almost here! been working on eating right now though!)

Trish said...

Wow, now THAT is what I like to see...frugality and practicality all mixed in one. Recipes sound very good too.

amy said...

Shelly, I've noticed that you use Kosher Salt in most of your recipes. Is there much of a difference if I use Sea Salt?

Vanessa said...

Shelly,
I just made your banana protein mochachinno and it was awesome!! Thank you so much. I am almost 1 1/2 year post op from RNY. I have hit a plateu and even gained back 5lbs and I am freaking out. So I decided to start trying some of your recipes and I even went and purchased the bento lunch box. I have not been able to find the max protein that you drink so I am trying a new one that is called intek evolution. Thank you so much for your blog and recipes. It gives me hope that I can keep the weight off and maybe even lose more. I've lost 120lbs so far and I have another 40lbs to hit my goal. Have you ever hit a platue in your weightloss? Thank you again for your help.
Vanessa

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you guys! Hope you enjoy all you try from the blog.

***
Amy, Sea salt is fine :) Kosher salt is coarser so be aware when measuring.

***

Heather, Those are great! Costco has a huge one for $6-ish that is awesome.

***

Lana, Best wishes on your upcoming surgery! Sending you speedy healing vibes!

***

Vanessa, So glad you enjoyed it... one of my favs.

Definitely on the plateaus/stalls. The scale will move again no fear. Concentrate on making the positive lifelong changes (finding high protein foods you love, exercise you are willing to do each day, working on the head stuff) the stuff you can control in this. The scale #'s will eventually reflect those positive changes. I know ;) easier said than done... we have all been on so many "diets" in the past and failed we can't imagine when something will finally work for us so when we stall a bit our old fears creep in. Try and remember there isn't a finish line. The day after you hit that goal weight its just more of the same. So find a lifelong course, rinse lather repeat ;)

Linda said...

Great minds think alike ..I just happen to go to Red Lobster yesterday with my hubby and we shared a meal and I even brought the leftovers home and sent them to work with him for his lunch.. 1 meal split for 2 and even a lunh packed the next day including tip was 25 bucks ..gave her a really nice tip for bringing me extra plates .. what a wonderful 4th !!

Your friend from Pa,
Linda :)

Nica said...

I have been to several restaurants and get the hairy eyeball when I ask for a take out container after only eating a few bites. I've even been asked if I had a problem with my meal! I'm sure after looking at me they wonder why I didn't scoff the entire plate! (I still have about 100 lbs left to lose). The me before could scoff, but the me now is a different person. Thank you for being so creative with left overs, once again you've inspired me!

P.S. Sent you an email, hope it didn't hit your spam box instead.

Kindest regards.

Cindy said...

Amazing! You win the prize girl, for creativity and successful, great tasting recipes. Thanks for always keeping it interesting. So helpful for all of us that are fans of good foods, in portions we can/need to eat, but still enjoy!

Hugs to you and thanks again!
Cindy

anunturi gratuite said...

Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

Denise said...

I think this is my favorite post ever! Red Lobster is the go-to place where my best friend and I meet every couple of months.

I was just like you pre-op and would have eaten the same things including dessert and coffee. Now I struggle with what to order. The broiled flounder is icky. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea of leftovers and repurposing. Thank you so much Shelly!

Samantha said...

I can not wait to try some of these ideas! Thank you so much for sharing all of your recipies for free they are amazing!