Sunday, July 20, 2008

Blueberries: The Fountain of Yoot?

I bought some gorgeous blueberries at the Farmer's Market and decided to make up a batch of Blueberry Cheesecake Protein Ice Cream.

Blueberries have soooo many health benefits including the highest antioxidant level of any fruit. The FDA or USDA (one of those acronyms) put out a report that said blueberries may also have anti-aging properties. Apparently little mice fed blueberries for a period of time were sharper at mice tasks than blueberry-less mice. <:3 br="">Looks like I got your fountain of yoot right here, baby.

Protein Powder Weight Loss Bariatric Surgery Sugarfree Sugar Free Healthy
Shelly's Blueberry Cheesecake Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Cheesecake Jello Pudding Mix, dry
1 Tablespoon Cream Cheese
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla), divided use
1 Tablespoon Water
1 cup fresh Blueberries (yields 1/2 cup of blueberry goo after cooking)

Mix blueberries, water and 1 Tablespoon of the syrup. Heat until blueberries begin to burst about 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool. I pop it in the freezer while the ice cream churns.

Mix together milk, protein, 1 Tablespoon syrup, pudding mix, and cream cheese. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add the blueberry goo. You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer (in a Tupperware) to set for an hour or so.

July is National Blueberry Month.

Shelly's Blueberry 5 Minute Protein Mug Cake
Shelly's Apple Blueberry Crumb
Shelly's Red, White & Blue Strawberry Cannoli
Shelly's Blueberry Oat Bars
Shelly's Blueberry Cottage Cheese Pancakes
Shelly's Blueberry Muffin Protein Shake
Shelly's Baked Blueberry Pancake

4 comments:

tailynn said...

Shelly,

I’m actually eating fresh blueberries with blueberry yogurt and granola right now for breakfast. But I’ve also been making blueberry pies lately. I mix two pints of blueberries, lemon juice from one lemon, a few spoonfuls of vanilla syrup (starbucks sf) depending on how sweet the berries are, 2 tbs cornstarch, ¼ tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss it all together and fill four ramekins. I then top with your crumble topping (I add the lemon zest from the lemon I juiced to the crumble). Bake 350 1 hour. I had a mini pie for breakfast every morning last week.

Our berry picking season just began last Tuesday. It was hot, humid and hazy in CT this weekend so I didn’t get a chance to go but that is definitely on my to do list next weekend.

And yes we are on the protein ice cream diet, also! Going to weight myself tomorrow hopefully its working as well for me as it has you. Have a great day.

Tailynn

mindyCB said...

I sent your blueberry ice cream and butter pecan recipe to my hubby. We will be makeing one of them tonight! I love you site. I'm 11 months out and am growing very tired of the same ol' things to eat. I'm 1 pound from a normal BMI and can't wait (sometimes) to get to goal (Pre-op 271/current 155/goal 145). Thanks agin, this site is the best!

Debbie from Boston said...

Wow! I just made the blueberry pancakes and they are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I knew it, I knew it! My Cousin Vinny - I love that movie where he's defending the two yoots in court. My Cuisinart just arrived today and I washed & have the tub in the freezer, tomorrow it's "protein-ice-cream-city" at my house! Woot! Thanks for the good ideas, I make pizzas with tortillas all the time.