Sunday, July 4, 2010

Red, White & Blue-berry

One of my absolute FAVORITE weight loss surgery friendly desserts are my Strawberry Cannoli. Red, ripe strawberries filled with protein packed ricotta cream. I usually dip the ricotta filled ends in unsweetened cocoa, shaved sugar free chocolate, unsweetened coconut or nuts to mimic my childhood favorite Sicilian dessert. Sometimes I make a coffee flavored filling but since it's the 4th of July I thought a little red, white and blueberry was in order...


Shelly's Red, White & Blue Strawberry Cannoli

12 Large Red Ripe Strawberries, washed & cored
12 Blueberries
1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
dash of Cinnamon

Optional toppings (for days other than the 4th of July)
Unsweetened Coconut
Grated Sugar Free Chocolate
Chopped Nuts (Chopped Pistachios, Pecans, or Hazelnuts are great)

Wash and core strawberries. Leaving a hollow in the berry. Set aside.

Mix ricotta, SF syrup and cinnamon together till well combined. Spoon mixture into a snack size Ziploc bag. Seal.

Cut end off and pipe mixture into hollowed strawberries. Place a fresh blueberry on each end.

Post-ops beware... you better hide a few of these suckers or make a double (or triple) batch because they will get gobbled up by non-ops before you can get to the dish.

Hope everyone is having a GREAT weekend.
Happy 4th of July! Be safe.
Remember your pets... loud booms and bangs are so scary for them.
✩✩ God Bless America! ✩✩

12 comments:

Janice said...

Everything you do looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

karen said...

I'll definitely be making these. I really realy wish you'd do a cookbook.

battynurse said...

Wow. Those look good. And pretty too!

Shikari said...

Yummy! I love these! Happy 4th of July, Michelle!

Anjanette said...

OMG...these are beautiful! Even though it is July 5th, I will make these for all of my summer parties....thanks for a great idea...

Linda said...

I love your recipes and your writing!! Do you ever keep track / figure out calories, fat, carbs, prot. I'm just 1 year post op and still needing to do this - would love to use your recipes but would need to calculate!

Di said...

I started making these last summer after seeing you post about them OMG! Delicious....and PRETTY!

kimha@aol.com said...

Thanks again for all your wisdom, humor and of course, recipes! I am 5 days post op, and in a lot of pain, but I am looking forward to trying out lots of your recipes. You inspire so many!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks guys. Hope you enjoy them and everyone had a great 4th!

Thank you Linda. Yes I calculate the nut value on a lot of my recipes... here's how you can calculate the info for any of my recipes (or really anyone elses too)

Info here...

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2010/02/spinach-artichoke-tortilla-pizza.html

karlita73 said...

OMG so I saw this recipe this morning and ran to the store to get ingredients. I could not find SF vanilla syrup, my grocery only had the regular. So, I improvised with vanilla extract and equal. And let me tell ya, YUMMMMMMMMMMMM. I am about 5 months post op now and still need to count my proteins and stuff too. 1/2 cup ricotta cheese is 14 proteins no sugar. Only 1 gram of sugar in a large strawberry. So basically, a total guilt free snack with protein!

Jamberee said...

I love your recipes! I agree with Karen, a cookbook would be wonderful!

Dana said...

I made a triple batch for a party yesterday - half with SF vanilla, and the other half with SF hazelnut. My post-op friend and I enjoyed a guilt-free dessert, and there were plenty to share with the non-ops. Found some HUGE strawberries, too - it's been a great season for strawberries!!