Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pastaless 'cause that's how I roll

Dinner last night... soooo good. Pre-op I would have made something like this and served it on top of a pile of pasta. So not needed and better than that... not missed! This is all the "good stuff" from the top of a yummy pasta dish without the filler. Trust me, make it.

Shelly's Basil Primavera Casserole

1 cup Chicken, boneless, skinless breasts diced 1" cubes
1 yellow Onion, diced
3 green Onions, diced
4-5 fresh Mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves Garlic, diced
3-4 baby Zucchinis, sliced
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped
2 Tablespoons Store bought Pesto Sauce
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1 - 13.75 oz can Artichoke Hearts, non marinated, diced
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 cup Chicken Broth
1/4 cup Shredded Italian 4 Cheese Blend
Oil/butter for sauteing

Saute chicken till golden. Set aside. Saute onions and mushrooms till golden. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add zucchini, turn to low heat and cover for 5 minutes. Stirring once or twice. Add artichoke hearts, seasonings, parmesan and chicken and stir to combine.

Make a well add butter and flour and cook for 1 minute. Add broth. When thickened and bubbly pour into a Pyrex casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden.

Who needs pasta?! More Eggface pasta-less alternatives:

Shelly's Grilled Veggie Lasagna
Shelly's Pesto Chicken and Veggies
Shelly's Chicken Cacciatore with Beans
Shelly's Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole


BTC said...

Another recipe I can't wait to make! Approximately how many servings would this make? It looks like 8.


Michelle said...

Hey Betsy, You know my standard answer on servings... it depends.

It did 2 dinners and 2 lunches for one non-op big eater and me (22 month post-op) oh and a tablespoon for my cat Rose who gave it "2 Paws Up!"

Hope you enjoy it!

It's a 8x6x2-1/2 pyrex dish

Marion O'Connor said...

Okay, this is my first visit to your web site and I am absolutely amazed. You have so many great ideas and I am so glad that I found your site! I had Lap RNY on 2-21-08 and I can't wait to try some of your recipes. Thank you so much for posting them! I look forward to reading more.

Thank again,

Lisa said...

Oh Em Gee. I am SO making this tonight-yum! I was wondering, do you ever make anything reminiscent of hamburger helper? The white trash side of me craves it, and I do make a healthier one from Eating Well called "hamburger buddy" with whole grain macaroni, but I was wondering what you would do if you really wanted to cut the carbs? Cauliflower isn't going to cut it...

Brownie Girl said...

So many tasty recipies!

I've been lurking on your blog for a couple of months now, as I'm currently pre-op and looking for ways to eat healthy after surgery. I've taken to printing out some your recipes and putting them in a binder for later.

Have you considered making a WLS-friendly cookbook? You really have an amazing talent here!

Michelle said...

Marion: Thanks so much. Glad you are enjoying the blog.


Lisa: Pre-op I was a pasta & bread addict so I just don't go there post-op and since I'm Italian any substitute for the real thing (like whole wheat or tofu) would just be wrong and I'd probably lose my rights to call myself Italian. They probably have a law. LOL ;)


Hey BG,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've had the blog for over 2 years started as a way to keep my friends & family updated on my progress. I get a kick that others have found it helpful. So yeah no worries the recipes aren't going anywhere no need to stock pile. LOL Save a tree or at least printer ink... that stuff gets expensive.

mary said...

Can you come live at my house? You can have my sons room. Hell, I'll even give ya mine! All u have to do is cook. Everything you make looks sooo yummy. Im a less than 4 ingrediant girl myself. More than that and I get confused! Im real good at improvising and making up some yummy stuff, but you really take the cake...and the fiesta bites and casseroles and...and... well u get my drift!!


Tracy said...

I have to tell you I've been visiting often lately. Had my surgery 12/4/07 and really getting tired of the "same old stuff". Ive made a few of your recipes and now I tell everyone about you! Tonight we had the Poppyseed Chicken and both my son and I LOVED it! Thanks for sharing!!!!

LORI said...

I made this Sunday night. I double it because I was cooking for my family plus had 3 friends over. This is one of the best things I've ever had. My picky daughter actually had 5 helpings of it. The whole dish of it was gone. Love it.