What's cooking?

One of my favorite threads over at OH is the daily menu thread. On the main message board Charlie does it now. Look for it.

It's fun to see how everyone eats as a post-op and I believe it's inspirational to pre-ops because they can see that after surgery you are not doomed to a life of cottage cheese and protein drinks. The general thought of those that haven't had weight loss surgery is that our days of "good food" are over. Heck I had a ton of last suppers before surgery and I have to laugh now because 90% of the stuff I had for my "last suppers" I can still eat. 5% I can eat if I adapt it and 5% was pure shit that no one should eat ever.

I thought every now and then I'd do an eating day in my post-op life with some pictures and recipes. So here we go...

For breakfast this morning I made a Vanilla Spice Protein Smoothie. I sat outside and drank it on the patio. I've started to put my smoothies in a pretty glass like I'm having a cocktail. This one is so yummy and reminds me of egg nog. I put an extra dash of nutmeg on top. Yum!


Here's the recipe:

Vanilla Spice Protein Shake

4 oz. Silk Spice Soy milk
4 oz. water
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
Dash Cinnamon
Dash Nutmeg
2-3 ice cubes

Place liquid in the blender first, then powder, then additions. Blend on low then high till well blended.

For lunch I had a sliced Avocado and an Onion and Parmesan Omelette YES!?! I am still on an egg kick.



Dinner will be leftover Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole from yesterday. This is the ultimate comfort food. So yummy. Seriously everyone that has this loves it. Of course I had yet another tomato salad with it.


Here's the recipe:

Shelly's Poppy Seed Chicken

1 cup chopped broccoli, steamed
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 zucchinis, chopped
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1" pieces
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can of cream of chicken soup
salt & pepper to taste
10 Ritz crackers
poppy seeds
butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Steam broccoli and set aside. Saute onions and zucchini till golden. Remove from pan. Saute chicken until golden cooked through. Add broccoli, onions and zucchini back to pan. Mix sour cream and cream of chicken soup together and pour over. Stir to coat. Salt & pepper to taste. Pour into a casserole dish. Crumble crackers in a ziplock baggie, add poppy seeds and sprinkle mixture over the top of chicken. Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in the microwave. Drizzle melted butter evenly over crackers. Bake 30 minutes, until crackers are golden brown.

I had a couple of snacks too: The cherries are great right now. That's something that has changed post gastric bypass. I totally love fruit. Pre-op I never ate fruit.



You must try these Oh Yeah! Vanilla Peanut Butter Protein Wafers. Think Nutty Bars. You know the ones that evil temptress Little Debbie makes.


So that's it... an eating day in my life.

I'm trapped in my house today. 2 days ago we had signs put up around my neighborhood and a notice on the door that today we couldn't park on the street as they were going to re-pave. We could choose to park over on the next block. I decided I would park in the driveway and just become a house arrest prisoner for the day. I figured why not if Paris Hilton can do it so can I. Yesterday I hit the store for eggs, soy milk and trashy magazines so I had my staples.

Highlights of the day:

* While drinking my Vanilla Spice Protein Drink on the patio this morning I read a great article in this free magazine I picked up at the health food store. It had the coolest vitamin and mineral chart in it. Oodles of cool info. I will attempt to scan it in to my computer and share.

* It is an absolutely gorgeous day. 88 degrees. Sunny and Breezy.

* Feeding a chunk of Parmesan cheese to my cheese-o-holic cat who almost bit my finger off for it.


Listening to: "Trapped" Bruce Springsteen