Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts (I try and post them every few days) to show what a typical daily menu is in my post weight loss surgery world.

Breakfast: Any day that starts with pancakes is gotta to be a GREAT day!


Shelly's Butterscotch Apple Ricotta Pancakes

1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Butterscotch Instant Pudding Mix, dry
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor SF Vanilla, SF Caramel, SF Cinnamon Vanilla, SF Brown Sugar Cinnamon etc.)
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
1/4 cup finely diced Apple

Mix all ingredients together. I use whole milk ricotta, if you use part skim, drain first. Spray pan with non-stick spray. Cook on low till golden, flip, pat flat, cook till done. Serve each pancake with a drizzle of warm Sugar Free Maple Syrup, SF Jam or Marmalade or Fruit. Makes 4 small pancakes or 8 silver dollar size.

These can be frozen between slices of wax paper or kept in the fridge a day or 2 and reheated (nuke 25 seconds) for breakfast during the week. Surprising good cold too. Leftovers usually get some SF jam, almond or peanut butter smeared on them, wrapped in foil and they become a great breakfast-on-the-go.

More Pancakes

Lunch: I browned some ground beef to have in the fridge (great to do with ground chicken, turkey too.) It's a big time saver, especially during the busy holiday season.


In the next couple of days, I'll toss in my Bites, top salads, mix in scrambled eggs, drop in soup, some I used to top this pizza. I haven't made a Tortilla Pizza in a while. This was soooo good.


Shelly's Greek Tortilla Pizza: Spread a tortilla (I use Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat, Fajita Size) with a tablespoon of storebought Hummus, top with browned Ground Beef (seasoned with Greek seasoning), sliced Black Olives, and a sprinkle of Cheese (I used a combo of open dregs in the fridge Feta, Parmesan, Mozzarella), drop of oil, cookie sheet, 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

More Tortilla Pizzas

Dinner: I bought a big bag of bell peppers in a variety of colors at the Farmer's Market this weekend. I didn't really have a plan but they were $3. This is what I came up with...


Shelly's Broccoli & Cheese Stuffed Peppers

4 Bell Peppers, I used a variety of colors
1 (10 oz.) package of Frozen Green Giant Broccoli and Cheese
3 Eggs
6 large Mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
a dash of Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Cook broccoli and cheese sauce according to the package. Set aside to cool. Wash, half, and seed peppers. Place in a microwave-safe dish and nuke for 10 minutes. Saute mushrooms, set aside to cool. In a mini food processor blend cooled broccoli and eggs together till smooth.


Mix in mushrooms, cheese, and seasonings. Spray a Pyrex dish with Pam non-stick spray. Place the pepper halves in the dish and carefully fill the pepper halves with the mixture, don't overfill just about 3/4 of the way up. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes.


They were great! Quiche-like. We had them for dinner but they would be perfect on a breakfast buffet. They heat up great too. I'm eating one this AM for breakfast.

Snacks: Oodles of coffee, a leftover Apple Pancake, and a cup of Hot Big Train Chai Fit Frappe.


More days in my pouch

I hope the day in my pouch series gives you a few new menu ideas. The recipes fit into my plan (high protein, low carb, moderate fats) but always check with your medical posse. When in doubt, print it out and share with them for the thumbs up.