What are you doing New Year's Eve?

It's been a few days friends. Some of those days were great, others not. My Christmas Day was lovely. I hope everyone had a nice day. The weather was iffy so we decided to postpone the traditional trip to the beach for a sunnier day. We hit Starbucks in the AM, took a nice walk then spent the rest of the day watching movies, talking with loved ones far away, and eating leftovers from Christmas Eve.

The next day was one of the few not good days of 2012. My Mum took a fall in the garage. Nothing broken thank goodness but she badly bruised her ribs, foot, and cut her elbow. Today she is feeling a bit better though it will be a few weeks of recovery I think :( We go on little adventures where I watch for every crack in the pavement and she falls in the safety of our own house. It was depressing and threw me for a loop for a few days. She's starting to brighten up and I'm starting to brighten up. It's been a great 2012 overall and I refuse to let one bad happening discount that. Moving forward...

I just made a batch of Bulls-eye Bites to reheat tomorrow (just toss them in the toaster oven) during New Year's Rockin' Eve. I have a bottle of Almond Champagne but whether it gets opened or not is another story. It's been in my fridge since June. I'm not much of a drinker of alcohol since weight loss surgery, early lessons learned. I'm going to set the crockpot going with some meatballs in the AM. I'm still not sure on a dessert but I will be doing my traditional raisin toss for sure.

For new readers... every New Year I toss 12 raisins, one at a time, toward my mouth at the stroke of midnight. The idea is for every raisin you get in your mouth you'll have a month of good luck in the coming year. I've done this now for several years. Thankfully my aim has gotten better since the first year. The first year... first raisin tossed, SCORE right in the mouth, second raisin... BAM right in my eye. This raisin thing is pretty accurate because that was a very interesting year. I'm hoping for near perfect aim this year.


Shelly's Bulls-eye Bites

4 Green Onions, diced
1 lb of Baby Spinach Leaves (it cooks down a lot)
5 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Shredded Cheese (Mozzarella, Monterrey Jack, whatever you have)
2 Tablespoons Garlic Herb Cheese (like Alouette, Boursin, Rondele, Laughing Cow), crumbled
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Oregano
a few twists of Black Pepper
24 Pitted Black Olives

Preheat oven to 350. Saute spinach and onions till just wilted. Chopped (I use kitchen shears) and set aside to cool. Mix all ingredients together. Spoon into a lightly greased (Pam non-stick spray works great for this) mini muffin tin. Place a black olive in the center of each one.


Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Let them cool a few moments they pull away and pop right out. Makes 24.


More Bites

What are you doing New Year's Eve?


post signature