Sunday, March 20, 2011

Weekend Wrap Up

The weather is sketchy. Rained a bit yesterday and we're supposed to get a big storm later on today. I hate when it rains on Farmer's Market day. They are open rain or shine, a bunch of troopers, but the customers are not as plentiful. A few sprinkles didn't stop this ex-New Yorker.

Scored some great stuff... 3 baskets of huge, sweet Strawberries (thinking Strawberry Cannoli, Strawberry Fluff Stuff, a freeze some for Protein Shakes), Onions, Garlic, Avocados (made a yummy bento lunch yesterday), Apples, Pears (thinking Apple Pear Crumb) and yay! the Patty Pan Squash have started. Not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet. Maybe this casserole, maybe something else.

The weather cleared by the afternoon and I was able to pack up my super cool bento box and walk to the park.

Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Avocado Brie Cold Cut Roll-up
Green Box (top right): some of the super sweet Strawberries
Blue Box (bottom left): Just the Cheese Crunchy Cheese - White Cheddar Cheese flavor
Orange Box (bottom right): Storebought Pineapple Cottage Cheese

Shelly's Avocado Brie Cold Cut Roll-up

Take a slice of any cold cut. I used Boar's Head Lower Sodium Oven Roasted Chicken. Roast Beef, Ham, Turkey are all yummy. Place a slice or two of Avocado and a little hunk of Brie. Roll-up. Eat as is or I heated them in a Non-stick Pam-sprayed Pan till golden.

Sunday is starting out nice despite the gray skies. As I'm typing this I'm watching 2 doves eating birdseed that spilled onto the patio from my bird feeder. They are eating breakfast and I am too. I made a version of my Pancake Bites. I've made Sausage, Bacon, Fruity ones in the past. These are a combo of the two. Blueberry & Sausage. Yum.

Shelly's Sausage & Blueberry Pancake Bites

1/2 cup Multigrain Pancake Mix, dry
1/3 cup Soy Milk (any milk would do)
1/4 cup Torani Sugar Free Caramel Syrup
1/3 cup Cooked Sausage Crumbles
2 Tablespoons of Frozen Blueberries

Mix pancake mix, milk, syrup together till thoroughly combined. Pour batter into a 12 cup mini muffin tin that has been sprayed with Pam. Fill about 3/4 way up.

Top each muffin with a few sausage crumbles (or sliced leftovers of cooked sausage would work great too) and a few frozen blueberries (you could use fresh too.) Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until golden. Serve with SF Maple syrup for dipping.

Going to vacuum and steam clean the floors, do the laundry, all that boring stuff. I have a little cooking to do too. Call my sister. That should fill up most of my day and woot it's The Amazing Race tonight (my favorite show.)

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

post signature

15 comments:

Allison said...

I think I'm going to need to avoid your site for a while! Just had the sleeve last Wednesday and am HUNGRY! Even the avocado looks yummy, and avocado is one of my top 5 dislikes foodwise.

So, I need to cut you cold turkey for a while.

But, I'll be back soon and trying all sorts of your yummy recipes and enjoying your many musings!

Allison :)

Ms Puse said...

Hi Eggface! I found your site via Vertical Sleeve Talk. I love your site and I LOVE the bento boxes! What a great idea!

I was sleeved 3/14/11. Hubby is being sleeved 3/22/11. We are really committed to being healthy for ourselves and our kids! Thanks for your inspiration and great ideas! I'll be back often!

marisa said...

I love your bento box days! I love seeing what people further out than I am (6months today!) are eating. Gives me good ideas. I think I need to get one of those to have my lunch in at home everyday!

Roniquilts2 said...

I just want you to know how much of an inspiration you are for many of us. While I've not had a rearrangement of my innards, I am trying to eat better and lose weight. Thank you so much for the recipes. I think you ought to do a cookbook!!! Really, I do. I'll just bet there are many people who would be interested in a cookbook with all your wonderful recipes.

Anonymous said...

Yummo eats...I got some great strawberries and Wegman's...paid and arm and a leg but they were very good!

Who are you rooting for in the race this time?? I am torn...love Justin & Zev and Luke & Margie...kinda glad the cheerleaders/bunnies are gone.

Ann :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish. I have been eatng a lot of turkey or ham roll ups with cheese and pickle. Yum! This looks even better.
Marrilee

T2Nashville said...

Love seeing all the new fellow sleevesters on your blog today!

Go, Jet and Cord!! They rocked last night!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL Allison. See ya soon!

***

Speedy healing Ms. Puse.

***

I'm a Jet & Cord fan but really anyone this year would be fine with me except Christine and her Dad (not for Christine but Ron is awful)

Jeanean said...

Just chiming in as a fresh post-op sleevster who is thanking her lucky stars for Shelly and TWATE. I moved to puree today (beginning of week 3)!!!

Shopped last night for all of the suggestions on the Puree page and can't wait to be baking that ricotta when I get home tonight. Refried beans with a little cheese (all 2 ounces of it) is in the fridge here at work awaiting my lunch. Good luck to all and thank heavens for Shelly.

Jeanean

Lisa B said...

Shelly, I'm going to try several of your recipes. Loved the ricotta bake during puree, but could not wait to make these sausage/pancake bites when I could eat them. I have to say I was really disappointed. Maybe it's the whole grain pancake mix that I used. I think it's Hodgson Mill. I made pancakes with it last weekend too and they were not very good either - even after adding applesauce and cinnamon to the batter. Is it an acquired taste? or do you think it's the mix I'm using? I'm an 8 week post-op sleeve girl by the way!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

@Lisa I'm guessing its your pancake mix though I have not used that brand before. I'm guessing it's turned. I store mine in the fridge. Try them again with another brand. They are soooo good.

Lynette said...

I am 9 weeks post-op the "sleeve". I love all the recipes I have tried so far. I haven't done the bites yet only because not sure how long do the egg ones last in the freezer? Also the pancake bites look so yummy, how long do they last in the freezer? What brand of pancake mix do you use?
Thanks for all the great recipes, inspiration and blogs!!
Lynette

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you. Speedy healing Lynette. The both the pancake bites & egg bites last for weeks in the freezer, plastic wrap them & freezer Ziploc or several days in the fridge. Reheat in oven or toaster oven for best results.

I use Arrowhead Mills Multigrain Pancake Mix. Bob's Red Mill also makes a good one. I just saw one at Costco made by Coach's Oats I'm going to try soon.

Aliee said...

Hey! I just made the blueberry sausage pancake bites,and I was wondering how I store them, I know you said they reheat in a toaster oven, but do you freeze them, or refrigerate them? Thanks so much for your dedication to your blog! Aliee

Michelle "Shelly" said...

:) Fridge for a few days or freeze then defrost in fridge a few hours.