Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sausage Pancake Bites

I had a $1 off coupon the other day for Jimmy Dean Sausage Crumbles. I thought they looked kind of neat. If you haven't seen them already...

They come in Original, Hot & Turkey. I tossed them in my cart, I figured I'd mix them in some scrambled eggs one morning, sprinkle them on a tortilla pizza, in my Bites (crustless quiches) or drop them in some soup then insomnia hit last night so at 3 AM I messed around in the kitchen and made these...


Shelly's Sausage Pancake Bites

1/2 cup Multigrain Pancake Mix, dry
1/3 cup Soy Milk (any milk would do)
1/4 cup Torani Sugar Free Caramel Syrup
1/3 cup Cooked Sausage Crumbles

Mix pancake mix, milk, syrup together till thoroughly combined. Pour batter into a 12 cup mini muffin tin that has been sprayed with Pam. Fill about 3/4 way up.

Top each muffin with a few sausage crumbles (or sliced leftovers of cooked sausage would work great too.)

Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until golden. Serve with SF Maple syrup for dipping.

Mmmm it's the perfect combination of sweet and salty. They are soooo flippin' good. They are sort of a cross between a McDonald's McGriddle and those Dunkin Donuts Pancake Sausage Mini Corn Dog looking dealios they have but healthier. Perfect breakfast on the go. Toss a couple of these in a snack size Ziploc baggie, pack some protein like this, bring a bottle of water and you'll be waaaay better off then any drive-thru.

Would definitely make a great addition to a Christmas morning breakfast buffet. Thinking next insomnia bout I'll try a bacon version.

Oh and they reheat great. When the rest of the household got up I tossed them in the toaster oven for a few minutes and they were as good as they were at 3 AM.

I used Sugar Free Caramel Torani in this but you could definitely use the new Sugar Free Salted Caramel flavor. Have you entered to win the Holiday Prize Pack of Sugar Free Torani yet? Entry info.

post signature

26 comments:

SheZug said...

Your recipes are so awesome!

Cynthia said...

I just wanted you to know you are awesome!! I have not had my WLS yet but you have given me sooo many helpful food ideas.

Thank you!!

Josie said...

You never cease to amaze me...from one Sicilian to another. thank you.

Josie.

erintheloser said...

YUM! I can't wait to try these. And just pancake mix, milk and syrup? That is so, so simple!

battynurse said...

Those look yummy. I'll have to try those too.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I used the turkey crumbles in some bites I made a couple of weeks ago...very good and sooo easy to use...also used them in your ricotta bake with sauce to add some meat!

Love this idea and gives you the pancake fix you are missing!

Keep it up!
Ann

leo99blue said...

Oooh, can't wait to make these. Great idea!! I'm thinkin they might be good with some blueberries added to the mix, with some SF blueberry syrup added to flavor the SF maple syrup. Might be worth a try when berries come back in season!

Mrs. Wimmer's Winners said...

I made these this evening so that I would have some for breakfast. As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it because I already had everything at home! I substituted SF Torani Brown Sugar Cinnamon syrup, and turkey sausage. My 2 year old LOVED them! So did I, now I am excited for breakfast! Thank you so much for the wonderful, inventive recipes.

SheilaR said...

These look really yummy! I am still in the liquid phase of my VSG right now, but am enjoying checking out your recipes. Do you have a biscuit recipe? I think these sausages would go good with something like that too!

Cheryl said...

Very excited about the Torani syrup give away! I got the three pack of vanilla recently, and absolutely love it!

Anonymous said...

This site has helped me through the first 3 months post-op. My family even loves your recipes!
Deb Daenzer
theriefels@airadv.net

Tammi G. said...

I just had my RNY on December 3rd, but your recipes give this foodie hope for tasty, wls-friendly foods down the road. Thank you!
sd_bonsai_lvr@yahoo.com

Catherine said...

I made these this morning with bacon. I need to bag them up as soon as they cool because they are SO GOOD. I think I will bake a couple of batches and take them with me at Christmas -- they'd totally "fool" the non-WLS'ers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly,

I just wanted to write in to say this blog is amazing, keep it up! I am a dietitian for a WLS center, and I tell many patients about your site. I also made your eggplant stuffing this Thanksgiving and it was a hit!! Thanks for helping folks get healthier and develop a love for good, creative cooking. :)

Susan said...

I made these this morning. Great!! I am going to try making them with the Atkins mix next time, since they have more protein and less carbs. I will let you know how they turn out!

Marrilee said...

Ok, these are fabulous! I could eat these every day and never tire of them. I know you have heard it before, but you ROCK!

mamaT said...

I'm 7 weeks post-op after gastric sleeve. All of the sudden I can't tolerate Protein shakes , I get dumping syndrome. Drinking same shakes as before. Nutritionist suggested none whey protein powders & to try the soy products. Any ideas? Also, do you have any holiday bread recipes like banana nut bread??

Michelle "Shelly" said...

So glad you guys are enjoying them. I made a bacon version too... still not sure which I prefer I'm leaning toward the sausage.

***

Thanks Sheila. Hope you enjoy all you try! A: No on biscuit recipe... I don't do white flour... biscuits are hard to make without (not tasty) and I try & avoid stuff that just makes me what the real thing. Biscuits to me are white flour and lots of butter & shortening. No sub.

***

Hi MamaT: I'd experiment with milk before switching powders... I found out I was lactose intolerant after surgery. Try your regular protein with lactose free milk or soy milk or water.

Yes on the banana bread/muffins. Can be made in mini loaf pans...

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/07/muffin-morning.html

Anonymous said...

I love salted caramel! Can't wait to try the SF syrup! Torani makes the most awesome SF syrups EVER!

Tammy Castleberry
tammy underscore j underscore castleberry at yahoo dot com.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Tammy, You will love the Torani Sugar Free Salted Caramel. If you are entering the contest you have till midnight to enter your info on the giveaway blog entry located here:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2010/12/taste-of-torani-holiday-giveaway.html

Anonymous said...

Made these this morning. They are GREAT! I had leftover sausage in the fridge, what a great use for it! My 14 year old daughter loves them too!

Susan said...

Made these again this morning! I made a double batch, using half of the Atkins mix and half of the pancake mix. Worked out well! YUMMY still!

The Lingo Family said...

Finally had a chance to bake these up. I used the turkey sausage crumbles and vanilla syrup. AMAZING!!!! My 2 year old daughter loved them too. She said "I want mommy's cupcake". Love all your recipes.:)

Anonymous said...

wwoooooo doggy that's good. uummm hummm Just made a batch of six and drizzled it with Cary's sugar free syrup...mmm mmm good ma'am. thank you soo much. I will be eatting one for breakfast.

Ebonydahll

Jennifer said...

These were so yummy, made them this morning and got two thumbs up from the midgets also.

Stephanie LeBlanc said...

Made these twice already and they are so yummy! Even my fiancé loves them! Thank you for the recipe! 😀💕