Friday, July 16, 2010

Things making me happy

We've had 100+ temps and humidity, complete with afternoon thunderstorms which is really rare for this area. It feels like the sticky Long Island summers of my childhood. I do have to say summer is 150% better post weight loss surgery but this week I dare say even the barely there Olsen Twins would be feeling the heat. I've been taking pleasure in a few favorite things and trying to stay cool.

A few things that made this week more bearable...

* Iced Tea Lattes - Homemade Iced Tea Lattes have been a highlight of my day.

Here's how I do them...

Fill a glass (16 oz.) halfway with ice.
I use my Keurig to brew (on the iced tea setting) some tea. Sometimes I use a storebought K cup but mostly I use that a My K-cup doohickey filled with my favorite loose leaf (1 rounded teaspoon) My favorites are Blueberry Rooibos and Masala Chai.
Top off with milk (I use Vanilla Soy), a squirt of Sugar Free Torani Syrup and optional SF Whipped Cream.

Speaking of Sugar Free Torani Syrup... check out this cool variety pack of flavors. Would be a nice starter set for a new post-op.

* Lush Breath of Fresh Air Toner - OMG I love this stuff. I store it in the fridge... late afternoon when the high temps have me feeling (and looking) like I've been run over by a pack of wild boars. I grab this out of the ice box, spritz my face and neck and ahhhh all is right with the world again.

* BBC's Emma miniseries - I am a period romance freak and Jane Austen is a favorite. I popped this in again this week and it transported me to my happy place. It's my favorite version.

* My Fluff Stuff - If you haven't made this stuff yet. Make it. Remember that Jello 1-2-3 layered dessert from the 80's this is like a healthier version of that. Any Sugar Free Jello, any flavor SF Torani Syrup, any Fruit, and a little Greek Yogurt combination and YUM!

Some of my favs so far...

SF Orange Jello, SF Vanilla Torani, Pineapple (like a Creamsicle)
SF Black Cherry Jello, SF Black Cherry Torani, fresh Cherries (my ultimate favorite)
SF Lemon Jello, SF Vanilla Torani, Strawberries (Strawberry Lemonade)

and this one I made this morning SF Strawberry Jello, SF Strawberry Torani and fresh Cherries

Shelly's Fluff Stuff

1 cup Boiling Water
1 box (4-serving size - the small one) Sugar Free Strawberry Jello Mix
3 1/2 oz. (half a small container) Fage Greek Yogurt
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Strawberry)
1 1/2 cups Cherries, (fresh or frozen)

Pour boiling water slowly over jello mix. Stir till dissolved. Set aside. Mix yogurt & syrup together till well combined. Add to Jello mixture. Beat with an electric mixer till well combined. I use this gadget.

Place in fridge for 1 hour. Remove from fridge and beat again for 5 minutes till fluffy. Fold in fruit. Put back in fridge and allow to set fully (about 2 hours)

You can use any fruit (fresh, frozen defrosted or canned drained), any Jello flavor, any Torani Syrup flavor.

* Surfing the net.

For the Fashionistas Polyvore.
For the Foodies: Slashfood
For Support: Twitter and the WLS Twibe
For Music:

Well that's about it. The things making me happy this week despite the gnarly heat.

"People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy." ~Anton Chekhov


Shikari said...

That toner looks interesting. Did you find it in stores?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Shikari,

We don't have a Lush store (I wish) locally so I ordered it on Amazon (link in blog entry) but I first tried it in the Lush store on my Boston trip.

Allan said...

Food, toner, recipes.. All great, but that picture of you... OMG, you look awesome... Congrats on the success...

Shikari said...

Guess I'm ordering online!

God. California is TOO hot. At least it makes me want to drink my water. I'm always so terrible with getting the recommended amount after wls. Stay cool! :D

McKayla said...

Love lushhhhhh!! And love your recipes!

azurepenguin said...

I use the same toner as my daily toner. I LOVE it.

battynurse said...

So aside from the fact that I have a ton of house work and other things to do I'm digging through old blog posts looking for recipes for things I can make. I've reached a point where I'm sick of the few things I've been eating since I was ok'd for regular food. I need to plan ahead and make some stuff up so that when I get home from work I have something I can eat with relatively little fuss. Have you considered publishing a cook book? Cause I went looking for one the other night and there isn't one for post WLS. I found some general information books that had recipes in them but when I got to looking at them I had to just laugh because one of the recipes called for 8 chicken breasts. Yeah. It's just me here and if I made that much food I'd be eating it forever.
Anyways I've gotten some great ideas. Thanks so much. However one of your recipes that I can't wait to try was the peanut butter and jelly muffin things but I'm trying to figure out a modification so that I could use maybe some low fat cream cheese (or would yogurt work?) and the sugar free hot pepper jelly I just got at the farmers market. Any ideas??

Anne-Margaret said...

I just watched Emma the other day. Sooo good minus making me miss England and my British Beau even more then normal!

Great choice and I will be trying your fluff soon. Looks yummy!

Lea in WV said...

We've got someone looking for a NSA peanut butter fluff recipe over on OH and I suggested you... Do you have one??

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Batty, Mmmm SF Pepper Jelly sounds yum. No ideas to speak of but would love to hear what you come up with.


Hey Lea, Fluff? Like a dip?


T2Nashville said...

Hey - I did the black cherry fluff this week - so, so good and so very easy! Very addictive. Like you, this may be my ultimate, but I'm anxious to try the orange pineapple, too.

kimicah87 said...

Do you have a cookbook out or are recipes just posted on your site. If you don't have one, should seriously think about puting one together

Michelle "Shelly" said...

TY no book currently. Thanks for the vote of confidence though till then if you see a recipe you would like to recreate bookmark it in a favorites file :)

Ordinary Girl said...

i would love to make my own tea lattes, but doesn't chai have caffeine?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Use Rooibos. That's what I use. It's naturally decaf though I can have caffeine.

Jennifer H said...

Just saw this post and would love to try these but I don't have those syrups is there a substitute or can you leave them out?